'A genius football man'

RoyMac5

25 minutes ago, europia said:

I was always of the understanding that communication was one of the main attributes toward managerial success. Maybe things have changed with the advent of twitter?  

Wayne can talk ?. Hes just not eloquent. You dont need to have a vast vocabulary to get your message across in football.

Have you ever listened to Sir Alex Ferguson talk? Mumbles with the best of them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading an article about the various forms of intelligence, how people can be brilliant at maths and struggle to spell their names, some others it is learning languages, artists able create something out of nothing, and for some others the ability to play football at a very high level. I think Rooney was given as an example of what people call an "instinctive footballer".  It went on to say that their brains are able to process a vast amount of information in an instant in match situations. The example given was receiving a simple pass.

In a pressured environment when receiving a pass, the brain needed to analyse at speed multiple factors such as the speed & trajectory of the ball, positions of the nearest defenders, positions of team mates, available space on the pitch, weighing up risks (control or just flick it on)  and so on...

When all processed, the correct decision/option could be taken, the best footballers were taking the best options most of the time, without any needs for academic qualifications.

If you can't understand Rooney or believe that he might know a thing or two about football then... well, I dunno

He has a scouse accent. Does that make him thick? Or is it because he has no qualifications from School? Neither do me and some of my mates but we've still got the clever folk calling us up because they can't put a fence up, plaster a wall, fit a radiator, work a boiler etc. 

I'll tell you who sounds clever. Gary Rowett, Paul Clement and Gary Neville. Andy Gray was a clever football man. Didn't look too clever getting sacked. Thierry Henry is a smart lad in that Sky studio. Still at Monaco? 

God knows how his management style and philosophy will go down. But that's not really relevant to us. We are only helping him develop his skills. 

When was the last time you saw a Rooney interview where he was jumping up and down. He's media trained to the max. He's a brand. Unless you catch him in an emotional moment you're going to find cliche after cliche. 

I've seen plenty laughing at him wanting to go into management. "Imagine Rooney explaining tactics, lol"

Well imagine a little scallywag from Liverpool with no GCSE's, who eats crayons and can't communicate having more money in his bank today than you'll ever earn in your entire life. 

Over 10 years played at world level. Adapted his game with age. Rooney has never been a thick player. 

I don't get what people are finding so amusing or unbelievable about him wanting to coach. 

It will come down to how he can interact and inspire people in the football world. Knowing his five times table is not going to help him. It will come down to how his philosophy becomes a reality. 

Sorry, just read a lot of nastiness aimed at him about him wanting to coach. A lot of mocking him. Felt like sticking up for him because as far as I can see he's been a "genius football man" so far

Intelligence comes in many forms. One can be erudite yet lacking in common sense, not classically educated but a entrepreneurial billionaire, a brilliant player but a poor manager and vice versa.

Don't confuse a strong regional accent and a few ums and errs for lack of intelligence.

He's financially secure for life and could retire now without coming to us, but his long term ambitions lie in coaching and management beyond his playing days.

My dad wasn't able to have a good education for socio economic reasons but he was the most intelligently rounded person I've met.

Look past the accent and the stereotypes and cliches. He seems an intelligent guy to me. You don't achieve what he's achieved by being a dummkopf....

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If you can't understand Rooney or believe that he might know a thing or two about football then... well, I dunno

He has a scouse accent. Does that make him thick? Or is it because he has no qualifications from School? Neither do me and some of my mates but we've still got the clever folk calling us up because they can't put a fence up, plaster a wall, fit a radiator, work a boiler etc. 

I'll tell you who sounds clever. Gary Rowett, Paul Clement and Gary Neville. Andy Gray was a clever football man. Didn't look too clever getting sacked. Thierry Henry is a smart lad in that Sky studio. Still at Monaco? 

God knows how his management style and philosophy will go down. But that's not really relevant to us. We are only helping him develop his skills. 

When was the last time you saw a Rooney interview where he was jumping up and down. He's media trained to the max. He's a brand. Unless you catch him in an emotional moment you're going to find cliche after cliche. 

I've seen plenty laughing at him wanting to go into management. "Imagine Rooney explaining tactics, lol"

Well imagine a little scallywag from Liverpool with no GCSE's, who eats crayons and can't communicate having more money in his bank today than you'll ever earn in your entire life. 

Over 10 years played at world level. Adapted his game with age. Rooney has never been a thick player. 

I don't get what people are finding so amusing or unbelievable about him wanting to coach. 

It will come down to how he can interact and inspire people in the football world. Knowing his five times table is not going to help him. It will come down to how his philosophy becomes a reality. 

Sorry, just read a lot of nastiness aimed at him about him wanting to coach. A lot of mocking him. Felt like sticking up for him because as far as I can see he's been a "genius football man" so far

Awesome 

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Fabulous summary Sir.

Archived