Thank you Frank...

BaaLocks

Yesterday would not have happened without Frank, whether he was the one who initially tipped off Mel, whether he gave Rooney a glowing reference or whether it was simply that we are now on the radar of people like Rooney (and his agent) after Frank's time with us. Whichever it was, I have no doubt what so ever that Lampard was pivotal in this happening and so I say 'cheers' for being in some way responsible for that getting over the line.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Lampard, no Mount, Tomori, Wilson, Cocu.

No Cocu, no Rooney.

No Rooney, no record breaking sponsorship deals.

I honestly believe that, so whilst I understand the frustration over his departure and the time it took, I said it yesterday, we should be incredibly grateful to Frank as it's reignited the club giving us exposure that has taken us to a new level.

Appointing Lampard was a ballsy move by Mel, but it was also a risk for Frank, he could have quite easily stayed in the background at Chelsea, put the time in and walked into the job without risking his managerial career by starting it at a club in the second tier.

He did, then took us further than much more experienced managers that have been and gone before him, we have also been left with great memories. That night at Elland Road for one will never be forgotten, not whilst I'm around.

Not saying we should be fawning over him, licking our TV screens when he's on Sky Sports, just be grateful, so many clubs out there going through rough times right now would give anything to have the year we just had and where we are now.

Even if you didn't particularly enjoy the year for whatever reason, look at what has followed, be grateful for that.

18 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Yesterday would not have happened without Frank, whether he was the one who initially tipped off Mel, whether he gave Rooney a glowing reference or whether it was simply that we are now on the radar of people like Rooney (and his agent) after Frank's time with us. Whichever it was, I have no doubt what so ever that Lampard was pivotal in this happening and so I say 'cheers' for being in some way responsible for that getting over the line.

See what you are saying, but think we should save our unreserved thanks for this one for our owner, Mel the Magician! Frank was great, but he has gone.

I  hear what your saying but what we are seeing isn't exactly new but are we returning to 30 years ago where it wasn't unheard of to have player / managers at a high level. I appreciate that is not Rooneys role but could it lead to it returning? 

26 minutes ago, David said:

No Lampard, no Mount, Tomori, Wilson, Cocu.

No Cocu, no Rooney.

No Rooney, no record breaking sponsorship deals.

I honestly believe that, so whilst I understand the frustration over his departure and the time it took, I said it yesterday, we should be incredibly grateful to Frank as it's reignited the club giving us exposure that has taken us to a new level.

Appointing Lampard was a ballsy move by Mel, but it was also a risk for Frank, he could have quite easily stayed in the background at Chelsea, put the time in and walked into the job without risking his managerial career by starting it at a club in the second tier.

He did, then took us further than much more experienced managers that have been and gone before him, we have also been left with great memories. That night at Elland Road for one will never be forgotten, not whilst I'm around.

Not saying we should be fawning over him, licking our TV screens when he's on Sky Sports, just be grateful, so many clubs out there going through rough times right now would give anything to have the year we just had and where we are now.

Even if you didn't particularly enjoy the year for whatever reason, look at what has followed, be grateful for that.

I thank Wassal

No Darren, No Harry

No Harry, No Frank

It's the Steve Bloomer Anthem that attracts the big names!

On a serious note, it is down to Mel.  Bit bumpy to start with, a few misfires, Clement Pearson, a few glimpses under Mac and Rowitt, and now a period of attention and excitement, and a good degree of expectation being for filled.

It was Mel Morris who took the gamble & appointed a 'name' with no experience. If that had gone wrong what position would we be in now.

So thank you Mel, one of the few chairman who has finally transferred his obvious business brain into fast becoming a true football business visionary.

Just don't get too giddy like Sam Longson did !! & start to fall out with the fame and attention that this brings. There is always a fine line in football.

I think Mel deserves the biggest thanks. He's Derby through and through. He had the vision to appoint Frank and quite honestly did Cocu come here because of Frank and his high profile- something only he knows. But really let's hold our heads up high we are a club with a long footballing tradition with a good ground and great fans. That may also have something to do with recent developments you know.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Its all a big tribute fest this morning , shows where we are as a club and as a fanbase right now ! 

Yet it will all return to doom and gloom if we lose at home to Swansea.  Nowt fickle as football fans 

And yes surely we have mel to thank rather than lampard. 

It was Rooney's people that contacted us looking for an opportunity.

Let that sink in for a moment.

But yes you're right. Without Mel's calculated gamble on Lampard, raising our profile to stratospheric levels, this would never ever have happened.

Has anyone heard from Steve Gibson's a hole yet?

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

couldn't agree more! partly the reason I never felt too bitter about frank leaving. was the first thought that entered my mind walking back to Wembley Park station ''that's it, frank's done now'' just had that feeling Chelsea wouldn't be able to resist standing back and letting Sarri leave before approaching Frank and co. so accepted it before the media hype started.. yet always felt Mel would be aware of this from the start as i'm sure most did and would have a plan to use the exposure we had last year to aid in getting a manager of Cocu's calibre in and our transfers this summer. plus they (referring to Jody too) left on good terms, if anything I felt really uneasy reading comments  of rams fans slating him, claiming he's disloyal etc. there was really no need for it at all. far as i'm concerned looking back frank has done as much for us as Mel, DCFC and the fans have done for him. Mel appreciated what a great opportunity it was for them and thankfully the majority of our fans realised this too...anyhow, more excited about what could happen this year than I was this time last year.

57 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

It's the Steve Bloomer Anthem that attracts the big names!

On a serious note, it is down to Mel.  Bit bumpy to start with, a few misfires, Clement Pearson, a few glimpses under Mac and Rowitt, and now a period of attention and excitement, and a good degree of expectation being for filled.

I think you're right. We also need to be honest and admit here was a good deal of support for those first appointments. Clement had an interesting pedigree and was a worthwhile gamble. It didn't bear any fruit, Pearson had his hard man promotion winning CV which at first glance might have worked with a team of nearly men. Hard man turned out to be Neanderthal but in both cases we wanted Mel to back them with his wallet. He did ! They failed, not Mel. 

There isn't a training course for running and owning a football club. Mel has learned on the job and learned well. A fantastic owner and 100% Ram for good measure. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Where's that from? 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11696/11778998/wayne-rooney-his-shock-move-to-Derby-explained

"Rooney was impressed by the grounding in coaching Lampard got at Derby as well as his relationship with Morris.

In fact, it was Rooney's representatives who first contacted Derby about the possibility because it seemed the perfect level, both in a playing sense and a coaching sense, for Rooney to develop."

Archived