Thank you Frank...

BaaLocks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt frank had any direct involvement with that deal at all, after all, he’s no longer an employee of Derby- so I very much doubt he made any contact with MM or with Rooney. However, I think you’re exactly right in that there was no chance this was happening without the season we had last year- showing that we not only play football the right way, but are willing to give young coaches a chance. Without that season happening, there’s no way rooney sees us as a place he can play football and coach, no chance he joins if Rowett continues. So yes, thank you frank, for getting our club back to being shown in a positive light, and moving past the dark Rowett days of Cameron Jerome!

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

An even bigger thank you to the mighty Stoke City. If they didn't take Gary dream job Rowett then the events that have transpired over the last 14 months would never have happened.

Exactly this. Stoke took Rowett and gave us Lampard, Cole and Rooney!

Let's just settle on the fact that there are a lot of people to thank.

Frank - for raising the profile of the club;

Rowett - for taking your 'dream job' and allowing us to raise the profile of the club;

Stoke City - see above;

Nigel Clough - for steadying the ship and ensuring that we still have a club;

Steve Mac - for setting the ball rolling with 'the Derby way';

Nigel Pearson - for not being the man who would finally take us to the promised land;

Sam Rush - for being found out (given Rooney is not a Wasserman client, we'd never have signed him otherwise);

Stephen Pearce - for not being Sam Rush. And for being a good baby sitter. Help yourself to anything in the biscuit tin;

Phillip Cocu - for coming. And for being Dutch;

Mel - for everything. For gambling on an appointment that raised the profile of the club, for not being mad anymore, for finding every possible FFP loophole imaginable, for bringing a sense of excitement back to the club, for peeing Steve Gibson right off;

Steve Gibson - for giving Mel all the motivation in the world just to pee you off;

Lionel Pickering - for building a stadium that we could sell for a huge profit and buy on the cheap over and over and over again;

The EFL - for providing the loopholes;

Wayne Rooney - for choosing us. And for being well behaved for 'Uncle Stephen' on the flight;

Coleen Rooney - for using the various misdemeanors that your husband has committed to blackmail him into coming back to the UK;

32Red - for the cash;

Leeds United fans - for buying Leeds shirts thereby supporting the profit that 32Red make on the back of their sponsorship of you and financing the package that allowed us to buy Wayne Rooney.

I think we need to direct the thanks for all these amazing high profile appointments where it's actually deserved.  Mel Morris. 

I don't think we need to be thanking Frank for taking the chance to manage Derby.  It was a wonderful opportunity for him, a complete novice, and he would have been mad to turn it down.  He took his opportunity well, was very professional and did the job to the best of his ability.  I wish him the best in the future.  But it was a great move for him, he should be thanking Derby rather than the other way around.  Look where he is now after, he has his dream job, he wouldn't have got that without Mel taking a risk on him last year.

A lot of fans (myself included) have been critical of some of Mel's appointments in the past, particularly the fact that there always seemed to be a dramatic change in playing style, which can't have made things easy for the players.  But hopefully the Lampard/Cocu transition will be more of an evolution rather than a revolution in terms of style.  For more than a year now, everything that Mel has done seems pretty flawless to me, starting with somehow getting 2m for Rowett.  It's always been such a bonus to have an owner that is a genuine fan of the club.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Yesterday would not have happened without Frank, whether he was the one who initially tipped off Mel, whether he gave Rooney a glowing reference or whether it was simply that we are now on the radar of people like Rooney (and his agent) after Frank's time with us. Whichever it was, I have no doubt what so ever that Lampard was pivotal in this happening and so I say 'cheers' for being in some way responsible for that getting over the line.

Erm,

thank you MEL

he was responsible for getting Lampard here

he was responsible for dealing with the fall out when he went

he was responsible for getting Cocu here

he was responsible for getting Rooney here

he is responsible for getting and keeping our club in the limelight , moving forward and getting bigger and better by the day

in fact frank owes Mel a big big thank you too.

Personally wanted frank here from day one , loved his time here too but left me disappointed in his integrity, no problem just move on but credit and thanks where it belongs

mel he’s one of our own

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Erm,

thank you MEL

<snip>

Personally wanted frank here from day one , loved his time here too but left me disappointed in his integrity, no problem just move on but credit and thanks where it belongs

mel he’s one of our own

You know when you go to a wedding and the groom gets up to say his speech, he doesn't go 'well, I've been allowed on thank you so I'd like to thank the caterers. That's me done'. Or when The Oscars are on you don't see Kate Winslet stand up and say 'I'd like to thank the Academy and nobody else, as I'm not allowed'.

Same here, Mel made the call, convinced <insert name> to come and then paid up the funds needed to attract them here. Pick, Frank, Jody, Cocu, Jack Marriott, Gary Rowett or whoever in that list and Mel was the one who did the deal. So I thank him for the fact that I wake up this morning still in a haze that we signed Wayne Rooney, yes Wayne Ducking Rooney. Unquestionably (and I include Dave Mackay, Colin Todd, Charlie George and Spencer Prior in this statement) the biggest signing in Derby's history. Whether he will go on to be our biggest player ever, probably not but as a signing just W-O-W!

But, to clarify, Frank certainly had a hand in that somewhere. If you were going off to a new job and one of your mates had been working at the same company for the past year I have no doubts you / I would call them up and ask what the company and the boss were like. If you were looking for a new job you might phone your mate and ask them where is a good place to work or your mate might say to you that you should think of talking to that company.

BTW - I don't agree with your comments on his integrity. We've all done it to death and, as you say, he's gone but I simply don't believe he behaved in any way other than he had to once his alma mater came calling. Though, credit where it's due I do give a critical part of what happened (not the cheque book, the deal or the 32 Red deal) to Frank, and of course the caterers.

18 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You know when you go to a wedding and the groom gets up to say his speech, he doesn't go 'well, I've been allowed on thank you so I'd like to thank the caterers. That's me done'. Or when The Oscars are on you don't see Kate Winslet stand up and say 'I'd like to thank the Academy and nobody else, as I'm not allowed'.

Same here, Mel made the call, convinced <insert name> to come and then paid up the funds needed to attract them here. Pick, Frank, Jody, Cocu, Jack Marriott, Gary Rowett or whoever in that list and Mel was the one who did the deal. So I thank him for the fact that I wake up this morning still in a haze that we signed Wayne Rooney, yes Wayne Ducking Rooney. Unquestionably (and I include Dave Mackay, Colin Todd, Charlie George and Spencer Prior in this statement) the biggest signing in Derby's history. Whether he will go on to be our biggest player ever, probably not but as a signing just W-O-W!

But, to clarify, Frank certainly had a hand in that somewhere. If you were going off to a new job and one of your mates had been working at the same company for the past year I have no doubts you / I would call them up and ask what the company and the boss were like. If you were looking for a new job you might phone your mate and ask them where is a good place to work or your mate might say to you that you should think of talking to that company.

BTW - I don't agree with your comments on his integrity. We've all done it to death and, as you say, he's gone but I simply don't believe he behaved in any way other than he had to once his alma mater came calling. Though, credit where it's due I do give a critical part of what happened (not the cheque book, the deal or the 32 Red deal) to Frank, and of course the caterers.

Watch Rooney interview, he’s stated clearly he has had no contact with frank or franks agent and says he may have to try to contact frank to get the low down on how the club works , 

Archived