Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

23 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Or maybe with Scottish football being so good this might at some point be reflected in the achievements of the Scottish national team, you never know??? Across all leagues the evidence shows that success is down predominantly to the size of player budgets, not totally, but that is the main factor. When you look at the player budgets for the likes of St Mirren, Dundee, Ross County, St Johnstone etc it gives you a real indication of how good that club is.....

Yeah, of course, because the success of a national team is directly related to the success of that league.

For the past twenty years, the Premier League has had the most money and the largest reputation globally. It's also had its fair share of club success (for several years, English clubs were fairly dominant on the continent). So, presumably, England have been cleaning up on the international stage?

France are now the best side in the world. Their clubs aren't exactly dominant.

Croatia are runners up in the world cup. How many Croatian clubs have been successful?

Belgium?

I could go on.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Yeah, of course, because the success of a national team is directly related to the success of that league.

For the past twenty years, the Premier League has had the most money and the largest reputation globally. It's also had its fair share of club success (for several years, English clubs were fairly dominant on the continent). So, presumably, England have been cleaning up on the international stage?

France are now the best side in the world. Their clubs aren't exactly dominant.

Croatia are runners up in the world cup. How many Croatian clubs have been successful?

Belgium?

I could go on.

I didn't bring the success of the national team in to the debate, I was responding to someone who did. Totally agree, very little relevance to the standard of a domestic league. How many of those Croatian players play in their domestic league? Not many I would think. The fact that 39 year old Kenny Miller was still playing in the SPL up until recently is probably a greater indicator....

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Looks like more clubs coming in for Celtics Tierney. Lowe was linked to Celtic a while ago. If Tierney was sold for close to £20M, how much do you think we could wring out of Celtic? Any players we might like to swap for?

You have to ask just how good was Lowe in Scotland, where would he rank in LBs in the Scottish leagues last season?

If he was the second or third best left back, I'd want 5 million of that 20 million.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You have to ask just how good was Lowe in Scotland, where would he rank in LBs in the Scottish leagues last season?

If he was the second or third best left back, I'd want 5 million of that 20 million.

Finally a decent article from the DT. Shows he faired well in Scotland 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-max-lowe-championship-3101038

1 hour ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Looks like more clubs coming in for Celtics Tierney. Lowe was linked to Celtic a while ago. If Tierney was sold for close to £20M, how much do you think we could wring out of Celtic? Any players we might like to swap for?

Celtic are lining up Basham from Sheffield United as a replacement if that helps.

Very good article. It shows that his numbers were amongst the best in the league, just behind Tierney, who is going courted by Arsenal for £20+m.

If we sell him now, I would be annoyed as I was with Thomas. At least Thomas had some undesirable personal attributes that made me think it wasn’t about his ability. Lowe deserves to compete with Malone, Forsyth for that spot in the team. If he comes up short then we sell him. 

On 19/07/2019 at 08:44, Ambitious said:

Lowe deserves to compete with Malone, Forsyth for that spot in the team. If he comes up short then we sell him. 

I suspect these links to Celtic/Scotland are pre-Cocu - I would imagine as with all the others he's getting a fresh chance to show what he can do and try to establish himself as our first choice LB

Just ask Anya what a fresh start is like

On 19/07/2019 at 10:34, TibshelfRam said:

A 30 year old, pretty slow, right sided centre half on the verge of a breakthrough as a gung ho, creative, attacking left back. If Neil Lennon can achieve that then there's nothing he can't do.

Didn't he play on the RHS of a back 3? I feel like he scored against us from open play coming in on the back post and was a pretty potent attacking player from that position?

Although overall I agree - I ain't gonna be a LB

Mel said the other day that the trend was for younger players to command larger fees and older heads becoming more affordable.

I'd guess we'd want some relatively serious wedge for him now (£2m?), but if he could get himself a year of Championship football and do well he's suddenly a serious asset. Made far, far, too many mistakes at the start of last season. If he's learned a bit last year (surely?) I'd look to give him a chance. As someone said above, Bogle and Lowe together down the flanks could give real balance and attacking threat. 

Archived