Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly we don’t think he’s ready for a role in the first team over Forsyth and Malone, but I can’t help but feel if Celtic want him- who have probably a marginally stronger squad than ours, then perhaps that’s underrating his ability. Don’t get me wrong if we’re gonna loan him out a loan to Celtic would be an excellent move given he’s settled up in Scotland, but I think he’s worthy of a go here, or maybe he’ll never get one. Perhaps we’re looking to sell him to them, again tho I think that’d seem ridiculous never really having given him a chance. Talks over any deal will still be in an early stage discussing what all parties want with this one so there’ll be a way to go yet, but I think this one could be likely, certainly over Aberdeen and rangers without doubt.

No idea whether this Tierney lad is any good but if arsenal are in for him and it seems like a coup then he must be decent, particularly to be worth than 25 mil- tho understandable with his age. Obviously a very good player with that demand in him, arsenal will do well to sign him, clearly fighting hard for him so he’s gotta be good to turn down 15m.  If they’re losing someone that good then replacing with lowe its probs gonna be a severe downgrade. Be interesting to see what we respond to their enquiry- do we still rate him as having a future chance or are we gonna get shot like we did with Thomas? Be surprised given the options they surely have available if Celtic do come in mind, I’m not convinced he’s that good yet, doesn’t read the game well enough yet, there’s better out there for them. Mind if their only other link so far is some bloke from Iran then maybe I’m mistaken, that would be a bizzare move.

Suppose it’ll depend on how the new manager rates him, both long term and short term, as to what happens here.

My feeling is that too many are far too quick to right players off on the basis of a couple of under par performances.  Seem to remember loads of (unwarranted) flack for Bogle last season now he's worth 15mil plus.  Lowe has proved himself in Scotland and I'd like to see him integrated into our first team in the coming season.  Possibly, just possibly, we'll then have another seven figure asset.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Depending on the length of his new contract, what would be a sensible price for Lowe?

£2 million?

I think when they’ve just demanded an exorbitant fee from arsenal, we’d be silly not to do the same , especially if there’s interest from a number of clubs and we’ve no particular need to sell.

I thought he was one of our best players during pre-season and was surprised that he was loaned out to Aberdeen. Having him and Bogle in the team for years to come would be somewhat refreshing and would certainly be the platform for a stable back 4. However, I also recognise that we have a solid asset in Malone for the next 3-4 years and Lowe may play second fiddle. In which case we could sell Lowe to fund other weaknesses within the team.

For me it depends on our strategic aims as a club. Do we want promotion in the next 1-2 years? Or are we happy remaining the Championship and building a team over the next 3-5 years embedding in the youth? I think fans can sometimes have rather unrealistic expectations in that we want to play the youth but also expect instant success.

Lowe has clearly proven himself good enough, so much so that Celtic are looking to him to replace a £20m asset. He was our best player in preseason and came into a couple of tough matches early on. He's gone on to win Aberdeen's PPOTY award and we've signed another one of their players. 

I think we could probably get a couple of million for him now, but I'd much rather keep him. No reason why he can't compete with Malone for the starting role.

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Lowe has clearly proven himself good enough, so much so that Celtic are looking to him to replace a £20m asset. He was our best player in preseason and came into a couple of tough matches early on. He's gone on to win Aberdeen's PPOTY award and we've signed another one of their players. 

I think we could probably get a couple of million for him now, but I'd much rather keep him. No reason why he can't compete with Malone for the starting role.

He looked awful here and has looked decent in a sub standard league, 2 or 3 levels below the Championship. I would be quite happy to sell for 500-750k, not sure we will get much more than that. We need better if we want to push on and get out of this league....

Not really sure of his ability but winning a player's player of the year award is a pretty big deal as it disregards any fan bias. Aberdeen's squad is probably equivalent to a decent League One team and I would suggest that signing a 22 year old from League One that had just won player's player of the year would be a worthy addition to our squad. 

16 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He looked awful here and has looked decent in a sub standard league, 2 or 3 levels below the Championship. I would be quite happy to sell for 500-750k, not sure we will get much more than that. We need better if we want to push on and get out of this league....

Very harsh to compare the SPL with the League Two/Conference IMO. How many players actually come over to the Championship and fail anymore? I can't think of many over the last two/three years - and by that I mean do really well in Scotland and struggle to replicate it in the Championship. No doubt that there is a huge disparity between the haves and havesnot in Scotland, but arguably no more so than the Championship. The Championship just has more money in the game than the SPL. 

43 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not arguing about your opinion of Lowe. The jury is still very much out regarding his ability at Championship level. What I do take issue with is that ludicrous valuation. Why is it that so many of our fans are willing to advocate giving our assets away for a pittance? Then we all wonder why we're struggling so much with FFP.

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Very harsh to compare the SPL with the League Two/Conference IMO. How many players actually come over to the Championship and fail anymore? I can't think of many over the last two/three years - and by that I mean do really well in Scotland and struggle to replicate it in the Championship. No doubt that there is a huge disparity between the haves and havesnot in Scotland, but arguably no more so than the Championship. The Championship just has more money in the game than the SPL. 

Don’t bother mate I’ve tried?

43 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The bottom 6 of the SPL teams have budgets on a par or less than those of national league teams in England, so unless you can explain how their Managers can get performances out of these teams that are 2 or 3 levels above this, that is the standard. Consequently Lowe has effectively gone on loan from the Championship where he looked very shaky and out of his depth to playing in League 2/Conference level football where he has done ok. How that has increased his market value is any ones guess but I will stick at my estimate that we will get between 500-750k. If he is so great why will we look to sell?

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Based on 3 league games for us this season? Reading, Leeds and Leeds, where he certainly wasn't the worst performer in those games. In fact, in the 2nd Leeds game he was statistically only bettered by Holmes and Tomori. He also made 9 league apps in 14/15 and performed exceptionally well. The Wolves game in particular standing out.

If you're looking for the reason why we loaned him out and blaming it on him being "not good enough", then you're in the minority. We started the season with Forsyth and Lowe - both were injury risks (Forsyth having missed massive chunks of 2 of the previous 3 seasons, and Lowe with numerous niggly injuries and being relatively untested in professional football. We had to sign someone as there would have been a strong chance of both being injured for a long stretch of time. So we had Malone, Forsyth and Lowe all fighting for a single position - too many for a single position so it was a case of Forsyth or Lowe going out. Not many clubs would be willing to take the risk on Forsyth due to his injury history. Lowe is/was at a stage in his career where he needs to play games. A bit part player competing with Malone vs going out and playing a full season for the first time? No brainer for Frank and his coaching team.

25 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Trying to talk truth to someone who won’t accept it isn’t failure on my part

What truth? Ok, one last time, I have asked you 3 times I think now and you have failed to answer on each request. One more time, go on at least try and have a go.....How do the lower half teams in the SPL, who have budgets/resources and stadia on a par with National League teams in England, put out a stronger team on a Saturday than their national league equivalents, simple enough question for someone of your ilk Millennium, just answer....

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on 3 league games for us this season? Reading, Leeds and Leeds, where he certainly wasn't the worst performer in those games. In fact, in the 2nd Leeds game he was statistically only bettered by Holmes and Tomori. He also made 9 league apps in 14/15 and performed exceptionally well. The Wolves game in particular standing out.

If you're looking for the reason why we loaned him out and blaming it on him being "not good enough", then you're in the minority. We started the season with Forsyth and Lowe - both were injury risks (Forsyth having missed massive chunks of 2 of the previous 3 seasons, and Lowe with numerous niggly injuries and being relatively untested in professional football. We had to sign someone as there would have been a strong chance of both being injured for a long stretch of time. So we had Malone, Forsyth and Lowe all fighting for a single position - too many for a single position so it was a case of Forsyth or Lowe going out. Not many clubs would be willing to take the risk on Forsyth due to his injury history. Lowe is/was at a stage in his career where he needs to play games. A bit part player competing with Malone vs going out and playing a full season for the first time? No brainer for Frank and his coaching team.

Why is Frank selling him then? If he is so good?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I will stick at my estimate that we will get between 500-750k

We got 1 million for Luke Thomas ffs. I'm glad you're not in charge of our transfers, he's young and has a lot of potential, and if Celtic sell Tierney they'll be getting a big windfall, we should be asking north of 5 million from them for him.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why is Frank selling him then? If he is so good?

Frank isn't selling him though? How is him being a target for a club the same as us wanting to sell, do you struggle with English comprehension? 

Archived