Four new signings before the window closes

Day

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

That's fair. But would you not at least say it improves us by giving that extra option and having that extra player in an area we are light in ? Plus the way wingers tend dip in and out of form at this level it's useful to be able to swap them round. 

I would have liked someone better and got excited over some of the names mentioned but some times it doesn't happen and I suspect there were multiple nearly deals that didn't come off. 

I still think our most exciting and important signing was Cocu himself and given that he's never been a "chequebook manager" I'm looking forward to see what he can do with what he's given. 

It does, I guess. I'll be honest, I'd be disappointed to see Jamie Paterson getting a space on our bench over Jason Knight or Sibley. Much rather we spent time improving our own players than one of Bristol City's.

Absolutely agree with the bit in bold, though. Cocu is our best signing. Better than Rooney. I'll back him and his decisions to the hilt. 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It does, I guess. I'll be honest, I'd be disappointed to see Jamie Paterson getting a space on our bench over Jason Knight or Sibley. Much rather we spent time improving our own players than one of Bristol City's.

Absolutely agree with the bit in bold, though. Cocu is our best signing. Better than Rooney. I'll back him and his decisions to the hilt. 

So, hypothetically, a winger gets injured mid game, you're staring at a bench of Knight and Sibley, neither of which are wingers, just because you'd rather they be on the bench than an actual winger?

1 hour ago, Srg said:

So, hypothetically, a winger gets injured mid game, you're staring at a bench of Knight and Sibley, neither of which are wingers, just because you'd rather they be on the bench than an actual winger?

In the hypothetical scenario we are imagining, I would envisage one of either Bennett or Josefzoon to be on the bench. So that would be who I would replace the injured winger with.

On 08/08/2019 at 21:02, Sexydadbod said:

Who were the players that you heard we were linked to and would create the buzz?

Put something in another thread that we were trying to bring Hendrick back. Think he'd have been a very good fit but despite Drinkwater going there, it seems we couldn't do the deal. I guess that's football and we can't have everything we want. But over the course of the window we got good players in and strengthened obvious weaknesses at the back and defensive midfield, so I think we've done OK. Let's see how it unfolds.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Put something in another thread that we were trying to bring Hendrick back. Think he'd have been a very good fit but despite Drinkwater going there, it seems we couldn't do the deal. I guess that's football and we can't have everything we want. But over the course of the window we got good players in and strengthened obvious weaknesses at the back and defensive midfield, so I think we've done OK. Let's see how it unfolds.

How likely do you think it is we go back for him in January ? 

Think it would be an excellent signing.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

How likely do you think it is we go back for him in January ? 

Think it would be an excellent signing.

How long's a piece of string, Brady? ?

Depends how close we came, how much game time he has between now and then, how Burnley are doing and how we are doing nearer the time. Plus Rooney will join up with us in November even though he can't play until January so we'll be better placed to assess his impact and where we will want to play him. And if we want others in too. And would Hendrick be a player to get us into the Prem or one we'd want to cement our place there? Also, we were clearly linked with lots of players so where does he fall in the pecking order?

Sorry not to be able to answer. But we do tend to get linked with the same players in multiple windows so there has to be some likelihood.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

How long's a piece of string, Brady? ?

Depends how close we came, how much game time he has between now and then, how Burnley are doing and how we are doing nearer the time. Plus Rooney will join up with us in November even though he can't play until January so we'll be better placed to assess his impact and where we will want to play him. And if we want others in too. And would Hendrick be a player to get us into the Prem or one we'd want to cement our place there? Also, we were clearly linked with lots of players so where does he fall in the pecking order?

Sorry not to be able to answer. But we do tend to get linked with the same players in multiple windows so there has to be some likelihood.

Yeah I that's kind of what I expecting. Appreciate you answering. 

Just always rated Hendrick and think he'd improve his if he came back. I think Rooney makes things a bit odd because right now I'm finding hard to judge how much of a role he will play and where he will play. I'm excited about it but I think sometimes older players dropping a level are difficult to judge at how they will perform.

18 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Think our recruitment team didnt get it right this summer tbh. Shame. BUT couldnt expect a perfect window especially after the way lampard left us. 

What makes you say that? They’ve addressed all the weak areas except the right wing wasn’t a massive upgrade. Maybe we just couldn’t get the one we wanted for whatever reason

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

What makes you say that? They’ve addressed all the weak areas except the right wing wasn’t a massive upgrade. Maybe we just couldn’t get the one we wanted for whatever reason

We needed a Box to box cm, as evans and huddlestone too slow. Think its a huge miss

I agree on the mobility issue. If we want to play high tempo as we say in England “Total football “, Big Tom and Evans should only be getting in the side as back up centre halves. We need energetic ball winners \carriers in central midfield, with creative play coming from Dowell and Rooney post Christmas.

I would prefer to see Knight or Sibley or both in there, with Holmes back when fit.

I will say only one thing to Philip C if he reads this esteemed Forum.......build this team around Jack Marriott.

On 10/08/2019 at 19:22, dcfcfan1 said:

Always thought shinnie was a DM, like ledley? 

Holmes I count as a bonus player. If he is fit, great, first name on team sheet. But not to be relied on, too injury prone

Sibley not seen any of , so cant comment

Holmes played 78 times in two seasons for Scunthorpe, so not too injury prone. Admittedly was injured when he came to us but played pretty consistently once fit until this latest one. 

I think we didn't manage this last injury too well, should never have let him go off to play for USA but I bet he was really keen to do it. 

Anyway, he's now had a good rest, is back in full training. 

Looking forward to seeing him really kick on this season. 

On 10/08/2019 at 19:23, LazloW said:

Can not fathom how anybody can, rationally, be disappointed with the window (taking all context into account).  Nothing is ever perfect.

All the paper talk about us being in for a series of wingers before we landed on Paterson has caused a deal of angst on here.

That it was obvious for a long time to the casual observer that we needed a keeper either to replace or back up Roos and landed with Hamer has caused some vexation too.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Holmes played 78 times in two seasons for Scunthorpe, so not too injury prone. Admittedly was injured when he came to us but played pretty consistently once fit until this latest one. 

I think we didn't manage this last injury too well, should never have let him go off to play for USA but I bet he was really keen to do it. 

Anyway, he's now had a good rest, is back in full training. 

Looking forward to seeing him really kick on this season. 

You're right of course but you've got to give players the opportunity to fulfil their dreams or they'll become unhappy players. Holmes clearly not fit enough for America but had to go. The same with playing Mount at Chelsea last season. Had neither played they might have sulked rather than being grateful for the chance and wanting to play for the manager.

Another test will be Tuesday because, of course, Holmes will want to play against Scunny as it's his old team. Is he ready? Really hope we only play him if he truly is, and then with a lot of caution. He'll likely be an important player for us this campaign.

Archived