Four new signings before the window closes

David

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Let's be fair to Derby. I'm sure they also want better players! 

I'm sure Cocu wanted the best wingers willing to play at this level but what he needed was options out wide. He needed depth, energy and competition. 

Paterson does add that. He has never looked like a lad that gives anything less than 100%. He will work hard. Maybe not for the same reasons we would like but he will. Whatever options he and Derby wanted to have won't effect how he will go about working for us. He'll be useful, I'm sure. 

I get the slight disappointment (he doesn't seem too thrilled either) but this move kind of suits us both as two parties needing a boost. 

As for Hamer. Roos is our no.1. He has been for months. I don't think Hamer is here as a threat to Roos. It's likely he freed up Carson's wages to be used on other areas. 

Maybe the window hasn't been perfect for Derby but when you sign Wayne Rooney it does soften the blow. 

Wayne Rooney. Can't get over that. ?

Summed it up here perfectly.

Just to add I think sometimes people overestimate how good a squad needs to be to get out of the division and underestimate how important the coaching team is. 

There are countless examples of unfancied teams doing well and getting promoted through good coaching.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve now got a squad of players where every single one has a chance to get into that first 11. Everyone has to push themselves and take their chances once they get in. No ones position is ‘safe’ and everyone’s got to perform at the top level.

Thats a really good thing in my book

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Just to add I think sometimes people overestimate how good a squad needs to be to get out of the division and underestimate how important the coaching team is. 

There are countless examples of unfancied teams doing well and getting promoted through good coaching.

Definitely. 

We have seen it with previous managers. 

People like Billy Davies who build teams that can bring out the best qualities of very ordinary players and are able to be more succesful than managers who build teams that mask the best qualities of good players.

Rowett with Hughes and Vydra for example. Simplified both their games and made one redundant and the saved the other ones Derby career. 

Paterson imo is a hard working, aggressive player who will do the closing down and counter attacking better than Lawrence (Hudders game not included!). The more intricate stuff is where a winger like Lawrence will be a better option. 

A bit like Ward/Russell v Dawkins/Bamford. 

Cocu needs options and Paterson does provide something different to the likes of Lawrence, Dowell and Rooney! 

I'm sure he would love to get a more rounded player

23 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

To quote my Mrs.. How long am I going to be hearing about Wayne bloody Rooney for

.... Um.... About the next 2 years now at least?

Tell her as soon as he's not United and England's all time top scorer playing for Derby then you won't mention his name again. 

30 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Absolutely. You only need to look at Norwich last year, after selling their best player Maddisson, they were talked about as being relegated. 

They got out of the division alright...

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Definitely. 

We have seen it with previous managers. 

People like Billy Davies who build teams that can bring out the best qualities of very ordinary players and are able to be more succesful than managers who build teams that mask the best qualities of good players.

Rowett with Hughes and Vydra for example. Simplified both their games and made one redundant and the saved the other ones Derby career. 

Paterson imo is a hard working, aggressive player who will do the closing down and counter attacking better than Lawrence (Hudders game not included!). The more intricate stuff is where a winger like Lawrence will be a better option. 

A bit like Ward/Russell v Dawkins/Bamford. 

Cocu needs options and Paterson does provide something different to the likes of Lawrence, Dowell and Rooney! 

I'm sure he would love to get a more rounded player

He might also go get that player when the January window opens.

Also having a hard working aggresive player such as Paterson might allow Bogle a bit more room to surge past him.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Signed a winger/attacking midfielder who is no better than what we already have, and a keeper who isn't any better than Roos. 

What was the point in that? Not a chance in hell they were Cocu's first choice. So why bother?

According to the bcity forums, a left sided midfielder, less of a winger.They seem quite pleased he's gone on the whole as well

Seems totally pointless to me

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Signed a winger/attacking midfielder who is no better than what we already have, and a keeper who isn't any better than Roos. 

What was the point in that? Not a chance in hell they were Cocu's first choice. So why bother?

I cannot see even Mel telling Phillip that he has to have a particular player if he does not want him. So why bother. Cocu is happy to work within the budget. He knows how to improve players.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

I cannot see even Mel telling Phillip that he has to have a particular player if he does not want him. So why bother. Cocu is happy to work within the budget. He knows how to improve players.

Great so we can improve him and then send him back to Bristol? Fantastic 

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Because as @Alpha mentioned we needed another wing option and Paterson is a slight improvement on what we have. And at GK we needed a bit of cover with Carson heading of to Man City.

It's not the most exciting transfer news and I suspect come January we might be looking at wingers again but we are better off then we were this morning.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If he plays well for us he won't be going back to Bristol as he wouldn't want to , he's clearly came here becuase hes either not a first team player or becuase he was unhappy in general so if he does well and we are doing better than Bristol (we should do) then why would he want to go back there? They loaned him out on the basis that he won't really be missed so I can't see him returning unless they have injuries and his loan spell with us isn't that successful. 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Probably will go back to Brizzie at xmas unless he kicks up a big fuss. Hiowever we get him till xmas then get somebody better hopefully. We could buy him at xmas maybe.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

And at GK we needed a bit of cover with Carson heading of to Man City

And who can begrudge him a great experience in his twighlight years. Best of luck to him and hopefully working with pep and arteta will encourage him if he chose to go into coaching

If someone at the start of the window had said we'd lose Carson but gain Rooney we'd all snap their hands off!! 

And Hamer seems like a decent chap who will bring us a bit of depth 

Christ... Just realised that our last 2 1st choice keepers are at man City and man utd now!!! 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Probably will go back to Brizzie at xmas unless he kicks up a big fuss. Hiowever we get him till xmas then get somebody better hopefully. We could buy him at xmas maybe.

Somebody better..... ROOOOOOOOONEY!!!!!! 

14 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'd argue that it isn't, but this is a game of opinions I guess.

That's fair. But would you not at least say it improves us by giving that extra option and having that extra player in an area we are light in ? Plus the way wingers tend dip in and out of form at this level it's useful to be able to swap them round. 

I would have liked someone better and got excited over some of the names mentioned but some times it doesn't happen and I suspect there were multiple nearly deals that didn't come off. 

I still think our most exciting and important signing was Cocu himself and given that he's never been a "chequebook manager" I'm looking forward to see what he can do with what he's given. 

Also it's always worth keeping in mind that sometimes a player just clicks with a manager or a team, particularly if they've demonstrated potential before.

Archived