Updated Bag Policies

ThePrisoner
Message added by Day

Stephen Pearce on the updated Bag Policy.

"We are aware of the fans' feelings in relation to the club reiterating about outside refreshments etc, and so it is important to clarify the matter,

Clearly, it is not about kids bringing a packet of sweets or a soft drink to the game, or any elderly supporters who have been coming to games for years and years bringing a hot flask.

We are not going to turn people away at the turnstiles. We are are going to be reasonable and understanding about this.

However, this is more about individuals attending matches with large quantities of food, fast food, equivalent to people bringing picnics.

We are not going to start confiscating items that have traditionally been brought in over the years. We will continue to operate as normal but we will be more vigilant towards people bringing large quantities of food and drink into games."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rams-react-controversy-over-matchday-3130367

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Why didn't they just say that when they issued the statement in the first place? Would have saved a lot of trouble. 

Think someone read a weather forecast for tomorrow nights game and realised it probably wasn’t such a great idea to ban fans bringing soft  drinks and water  into the ground just before easily the hottest night PP has ever staged a football match . 

Last time it was pretty warm for a home game ( QPR ? ) there was no water to be purchased at half time - they’d run out.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, S75 Ram said:

I think because either they seriously considered enforcing the rules and have now back tracked

OR (and I'd like to think this is more likely)

it's another poor communication from the club that got published without any proof reading and sanity checking.

Anyway good to know I will not need to hide my flask in an uncomfortable place ? during winter games 

They haven't backtracked, just clarified their position better. 

One of the main reasons for the update was to introduce the new bag sizes and tied it in with the bag policy which was already in place, compared to other grounds the size is pretty reasonable. Wembley limit you to A4 size, reading earlier Old Trafford ground regulations earlier they have 20cm x 15cm x 5cm unless it's a Megastore bag with purchases inside. 

As they pointed out the food and beverages policy has been in place for a few seasons now, but clearly from todays statement it doesn't effect those bringing a fruit shoot and bag of sweets for the little'un, but the bags of KFC, Burger King and full on picnics which have been taken through the turnstiles.

End of the day the club is a business, they have their own revenue streams to protect so you can understand why they wouldn't want you bringing in burgers and fries when they sell them in the concourses. 

Perhaps this could have been made clearer at the time, but then I don't think it warranted online petitions without even contacting the club first but there you go. The club has been generally very good communicating with fans be it at club forums and charter meetings, so maybe a quick email next time not mass hysteria ??‍♂️

i dont see the problem with this at all. The old can still bring in their Bovril..the young can bring in their fruitshoots...i for one will not purchase anything off the concourse its too expensive and i will have my pint before the game in the local and one after the game in the same local.

I was one of those imperfect people who ‘went into meltdown’. For info, I DID contact the SLO and got no reply. Zilch. 

I wont be buying in the ground no matter how much Mr Pearce tries to convince me that they’ve done their benchmarking and consider that the offerings are ‘good quality and value’. Who the hell are they comparing to?? It’s poor, it’s served badly, tastes bad and costs too much. 

I do see people bringing big boxes marked Zan Fish in. They do allow it to be bought right by the turnstiles though so what do they expect? I also notice a girl near me bring a huge box with salad in and a youth nearby leaves enough sweet and crisp wrappers behind to fill a bin bag. 

Theres a few issues I think 

2 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

It sounds a bit like backtracking to me..., they definitely said a lot more to the DET than they did to David when he sought clarification. 

When I first made contact it was fairly late past 9pm, to get any response at all was appreciated. 

If you want to believe they have backtracked and given in to fan pressure go for it, but I can assure you they haven't. 

Reading this thread you can see quite a few understood, don't take the piss walking in with bags of food, but anyway, it has been clarified now publicly and pretty clear where they stand.

27 minutes ago, David said:

They haven't backtracked, just clarified their position better. 

One of the main reasons for the update was to introduce the new bag sizes and tied it in with the bag policy which was already in place, compared to other grounds the size is pretty reasonable. Wembley limit you to A4 size, reading earlier Old Trafford ground regulations earlier they have 20cm x 15cm x 5cm unless it's a Megastore bag with purchases inside. 

As they pointed out the food and beverages policy has been in place for a few seasons now, but clearly from todays statement it doesn't effect those bringing a fruit shoot and bag of sweets for the little'un, but the bags of KFC, Burger King and full on picnics which have been taken through the turnstiles.

End of the day the club is a business, they have their own revenue streams to protect so you can understand why they wouldn't want you bringing in burgers and fries when they sell them in the concourses. 

Perhaps this could have been made clearer at the time, but then I don't think it warranted online petitions without even contacting the club first but there you go. The club has been generally very good communicating with fans be it at club forums and charter meetings, so maybe a quick email next time not mass hysteria ??‍♂️

This was a poor PR exercise by the club, which ever way you cut it.

All credit to them for back tracking quickly and clarifying what they really meant though. One feels the hand of Mel in this turnaround. 

Their original statement clearly sounded like that supporters, who had already invested significant sums in purchasing tickets for the forthcoming season with no inkling of a big change in terms  ( in their eyes)  , would no longer be able to enjoy their decades old ritual of being able to enjoy a half time cuppa of their choosing along with some of their own cake or snap. It’s a fundamental part of going to the footy for many thousands, even if it is not for thousands of others. 

For some people, going to the football is an event, an occasion to enjoy and to make the most of. Not one to get to as late as possible before kick off and to get out of as soon as possible at the end. It’s not about consuming quantities of alcohol.  It’s a day out for some, not just a couple of hours out of their busy schedules.  Each to their own. But I suspect the most loyal supporters , who have been following the club for many many years , since the glory days and way before , feel that the club was very close to doing them a huge disservice here. 

This claptrap about it being buried somewhere in the terms and conditions for years is clearly nonsense - people go on what happens in day to day practical reality and experience, as of course they should. 

And I suspect very few people begrudge the turnstile stewards of asking to look in their bags. If the club want them to do it properly , rather than a rather embarrassing cursory stare into the depths, which all parties know has no effect whatsoever, then again I don’t think many fans would begrudge them that. We all want to be safe . 

18 minutes ago, David said:

When I first made contact it was fairly late past 9pm, to get any response at all was appreciated. 

If you want to believe they have backtracked and given in to fan pressure go for it, but I can assure you they haven't. 

Reading this thread you can see quite a few understood, don't take the piss walking in with bags of food, but anyway, it has been clarified now publicly and pretty clear where they stand.

That's great then, they never had any intention of stopping the flask and biscuits brigade bringing their stuff in (and I for one
am dead happy with that).
But why on earth issue a statement saying only refreshments needed for medical conditions would be allowed.
Talk about leaving yourself wide open to criticism.

As I said earlier I feel the club sometimes issue some poor communications that have either not been properly
thought through or quality checked before the "publish button" is pressed.

8 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

This was a poor PR exercise by the club, which ever way you cut it.

All credit to them for back tracking quickly and clarifying what they really meant though. One feels the hand of Mel in this turnaround. 

Their original statement clearly sounded like that supporters, who had already invested significant sums in purchasing tickets for the forthcoming season with no inkling of a big change in terms  ( in their eyes)  , would no longer be able to enjoy their decades old ritual of being able to enjoy a half time cuppa of their choosing along with some of their own cake or snap. It’s a fundamental part of going to the footy for many thousands, even if it is not for thousands of others. 

For some people, going to the football is an event, an occasion to enjoy and to make the most of. Not one to get to as late as possible before kick off and to get out of as soon as possible at the end. It’s not about consuming quantities of alcohol.  It’s a day out for some, not just a couple of hours out of their busy schedules.  Each to their own. But I suspect the most loyal supporters , who have been following the club for many many years , since the glory days and way before , feel that the club was very close to doing them a huge disservice here. 

This claptrap about it being buried somewhere in the terms and conditions for years is clearly nonsense - people go on what happens in day to day practical reality and experience, as of course they should. 

And I suspect very few people begrudge the turnstile stewards of asking to look in their bags. If the club want them to do it properly , rather than a rather embarrassing cursory stare into the depths, which all parties know has no effect whatsoever, then again I don’t think many fans would begrudge them that. We all want to be safe . 

Again, they haven't back tracked.

Also after being told it's been a policy for years it took me 30 seconds to find it, then another couple of minutes to confirm it hasn't just been snook in there, so would hardly say "buried", nor is it nonsense because I like many clearly have never taken the time to read the ground regulations before.

Be honest, how many terms and conditions have you ever took the time to read, have you even read the claptrap in this forums terms of use of? Probably not. 

Credit cards, holiday bookings, downloads, season ticket yeah yeah scroll click I agree. 

We're all guilty as this overreaction would have taken place years ago when it was first put in place. It's ok pointing the finger at the club calling bad PR, maybe they could have handled it better, but at the same time maybe a lesson for us all as well when it comes to blindly accepting terms and conditions without reading.

9 minutes ago, S75 Ram said:

That's great then, they never had any intention of stopping the flask and biscuits brigade bringing their stuff in (and I for one
am dead happy with that).
But why on earth issue a statement saying only refreshments needed for medical conditions would be allowed.
Talk about leaving yourself wide open to criticism.

As I said earlier I feel the club sometimes issue some poor communications that have either not been properly
thought through or quality checked before the "publish button" is pressed.

As I say, it maybe could have been handled better, although I genuinely don't believe they expected this reaction, probably wrongly assumed we was already aware of the policies in place and it was just a minority that were taking the piss.

Are they aware now? Absolutely. But so are we. 

51 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I was one of those imperfect people who ‘went into meltdown’. For info, I DID contact the SLO and got no reply. Zilch. 

I wont be buying in the ground no matter how much Mr Pearce tries to convince me that they’ve done their benchmarking and consider that the offerings are ‘good quality and value’. Who the hell are they comparing to?? It’s poor, it’s served badly, tastes bad and costs too much. 

I do see people bringing big boxes marked Zan Fish in. They do allow it to be bought right by the turnstiles though so what do they expect? I also notice a girl near me bring a huge box with salad in and a youth nearby leaves enough sweet and crisp wrappers behind to fill a bin bag. 

Theres a few issues I think 

Zan Fish was a club partner but they weren’t the season just gone and weren’t there. A huge shame as it was the only decent fast food around the ground. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Again, they haven't back tracked.

Also after being told it's been a policy for years it took me 30 seconds to find it, then another couple of minutes to confirm it hasn't just been snook in there, so would hardly say "buried", nor is it nonsense because I like many clearly have never taken the time to read the ground regulations before.

Be honest, how many terms and conditions have you ever took the time to read, have you even read the claptrap in this forums terms of use of? Probably not. 

Credit cards, holiday bookings, downloads, season ticket yeah yeah scroll click I agree. 

We're all guilty as this overreaction would have taken place years ago when it was first put in place. It's ok pointing the finger at the club calling bad PR, maybe they could have handled it better, but at the same time maybe a lesson for us all as well when it comes to blindly accepting terms and conditions without reading.

You do know that legally, terms you include in a contract , which you then fail to enforce in every day practical experience, then become superseded by the actual , practical experience ? Don’t you ? 

6 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

You do know that legally, terms you include in a contract , which you then fail to enforce in every day practical experience, then become superseded by the actual , practical experience ? Don’t you ? 

Learn something new everyday on here! ? 

Archived