Updated Bag Policies

ThePrisoner
Message added by David

Stephen Pearce on the updated Bag Policy.

"We are aware of the fans' feelings in relation to the club reiterating about outside refreshments etc, and so it is important to clarify the matter,

Clearly, it is not about kids bringing a packet of sweets or a soft drink to the game, or any elderly supporters who have been coming to games for years and years bringing a hot flask.

We are not going to turn people away at the turnstiles. We are are going to be reasonable and understanding about this.

However, this is more about individuals attending matches with large quantities of food, fast food, equivalent to people bringing picnics.

We are not going to start confiscating items that have traditionally been brought in over the years. We will continue to operate as normal but we will be more vigilant towards people bringing large quantities of food and drink into games."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rams-react-controversy-over-matchday-3130367

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

Okay mate.

Frankly, it baffles me that people take food and drink to a football match, same as it does that people can't watch a film without 2 tonnes of sweets and popcorn. Have something before you go in if you're that bothered, most people can go 2 hours without food and drink.

How did you get from a flask to 2 tonnes of sweets and popcorn. Keep it realistic, maybe half a ton...

My flask of bovril goes back to league 3, Baseball ground, freezing rain and very dark nights.

3 hours ago, David said:

Sorry but I can only repeat what I have already said. 

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to ignore the clubs ground policies, take your flasks and sandwiches in you will be fine. All I can tell you is this policy has been in place for a number of seasons, this is simply a polite reminder.

You can only go by what you've been told. I'll try and seek clarification and post on here if I get anywhere. 

5 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

Okay mate.

Frankly, it baffles me that people take food and drink to a football match, same as it does that people can't watch a film without 2 tonnes of sweets and popcorn. Have something before you go in if you're that bothered, most people can go 2 hours without food and drink.

Just my own example as an explanation which might help prevent bafflement. 

I take a small flask of tea/coffee and a bit of chocolate or some sweets for the kids. All for half time. I do this because:

a) I like a drink at half time

b) I like to remain in my seat until the end of the first half and be in it when the teams come out for the second

c) I also like a visit to the gents, which in itself takes several mins because of the queue

d) to have a piss and queue up would mean missing part of the game, and I'd rather not

d) The tea/coffee at the stadium is poo and the chocolate very expensive. They don't even sell what the kids like particularly

e) I don't want to take a 3 course meal or alcohol, or anything that impinges on sales. If they really want to ban what I take in, fine. That won't make me buy it there.

That's the angle I come at this from. It's not a huge deal. It's not that we can't be at a stadium for two hours without food or drink, but it's part of the enjoyment. I don't want to watch the latter stages of a game with a very dry mouth or throat, feels horrible.

Equally there is a principle there about freedom of choice, regardless of what venue you are at, which I think is a fair argument.

It all depends on how strict they are.

Hope that helps.

Must admit to taking a rather small bag to matches with a mini coke can, half a dozen jelly babies and a couple of Hob Nobs just to make sure me sugar levels are ok.

I’m not quite sure of the medicinal benefits of a 20 minute wait for a sugary drink and the carb content of the crust on a chicken balti pie.

................. but hey ho, rules is rules!

I think the club should consider re-wording it's policy to reflect reality. 

If the club are happy for people to bring in flasks, the odd cob, water and sweets, then ... perhaps it would be better ... to find a form of words that allows this, subject to necessary discretion.

The reason that this stirs emotions, is that the enforcement of this policy would upset many long-established traditions - be it fans from afar having larger bags, or the other habits that have been mentioned.

The problem with leaving the policy worded as it is, is that it raises the question of enforcement. Imagine being prevented from entering because of a bag that's too big, or a cheese roll. 

Fans need to be able to believe that it's their club! Policies like this, which highlight the commercial and restrictive nature, threaten the ability of fans to pretend that it's our club.

Perhaps it would be better not to issue "polite reminders" about such policies - if everyone's happy with things as they are - I can't see that it's had a positive outcome - and may add a little stress to thousands of fans travelling to their next game.

Pathetic - there is not even an attempt to make a justification of this in the announcement . Fans travelling long distances on public transport may need a bigger bag size. What are they expected to do? They might want refreshments for the journey. 

With so many matches on TV there are other options than attending games live, even if you have a season ticket.

I shall have a big coat with deep pockets - no matter what the weather - until they start frisking everyone.

53 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Blimey. Might open a stall outside the ground offering winegum suppositories. Do a roaring trade I reckon.

That’s the spirit! Go on the attack with the Wine Gum suppositories!

They don’t like it up em Pike!

In the winter it will be no problem because you could stuff loads in the pockets of a thick jacket without a bulge emerging, in the summer just put them down your shorts and if challenged ask why they are looking down there , I'm sure the stewards wouldn't want to feel around for some gums.

On 22/07/2019 at 19:47, reverendo de duivel said:

Smacks to me of a decision taken at a lower management level, and one that will be overturned sharpish once news of its effect reaches higher up.

C'mon Mel, at least offer a DCFC branded reusable water bottle free of charge to ticket holders, and install drinking fountains in the concourses, while letting people bring their own snap in!

Sounds good idea but I'm not prepared to queue up at a drinking fountain. Have a rush to get to my seat as it is. 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the first thing dcfc have to sort out for me is having enough competent/efficient staff at the bars for half time so that everyone who wants to be served can be served without having to miss the end of the first half or the beginning of the second - surely they must realise we are there to watch the footy and not to queue for half time refreshments! I used to go down for a half time wine (not whine) every match but haven't done that for over 10 years now due to the pathetic service by staff that clearly have no interest in getting you served in a timely manner (do they have any idea of how long half time lasts???!!!) dcfc and the company involved should be ashamed at this level of service! If it was an efficient service and a better quality of beer, wine, food and snacks I'd be prepared to pay a bit over the odds for it and may be even go to the ground earlier and have a pre match drink but whilst they continue to have crap staff serving crap food and drink then they'll not get a penny out of me!

14 minutes ago, old ilkestonian said:

(do they have any idea of how long half time lasts???!!!)

Exactly, and think of the numbers they have to serve whilst allowing them sufficient time to eat their pie or down their pint. 

I actually think it's an impossible task no matter how efficient the staff are. I've been stood behind fans who waste a couple of minutes counting their change after finally finding their wallet. Thats 13 minutes left. 

To me, the obvious solution would be contactless vending machines throughout, not for alcohol due to age verification, but tea, coffee, hot chocolate, crisps, sweets etc. Try and cut down the queue sizes, but saying that, it's not like the concourses have a lot of unused space to hold enough to satisfy the demand.

When you look at new stadiums such as Spurs, the concourses are like mini supermarkets, we're kind of limited to what can be done given the design of Pride Park.

Archived