Tom Huddlestone - Cocu's Favourite Player?

Sheikh n Bake

24 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Can't believe that people are pinning their hopes on the return of Holmes to change our fortunes.  Just can't t see him being that influential. 

Fair point. Holmes is a decent team player with a great attitude, but probably not the game changer that we are desperate for. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness Cocu has to learn about our players especially the established ones - if lampard had stayed Huddlestone may well would have moved on as lampard was actively playing people with high mobility levels - it will take time for Cocu to learn and to be fair to Huddlestone it’s our balance and other players weaknesses that constantly leave him vulnerable to criticism 

I’m amazed he’s still playing in midfield, teams know that his mobility is not very good and they get players round him and hurry him into mistakes. Needs to play in a back three if at all, nothing against him and his ability on the ball is brilliant but the Championship is too quick for him.

6 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

I’m amazed he’s still playing in midfield, teams know that his mobility is not very good and they get players round him and hurry him into mistakes. Needs to play in a back three if at all, nothing against him and his ability on the ball is brilliant but the Championship is too quick for him.

Some might say (not me of course) that walking football is too quick for him.

11 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Back three? But he's rubbish at defending? What's he good at on the ball? Certainly doesn't move it on quick enough. Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting team. 

His control, technical ability and passing is good but he’s just too slow, thats why as you say he doesn’t move the ball quick enough. That’s why if he played in a back three he would be able to use his passing ability because he wouldn’t be under so much pressure. Not saying I would definitely play him there just that it would be the only position. He did come through our Academy playing centre half I believe?!

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Back three? But he's rubbish at defending? What's he good at on the ball? Certainly doesn't move it on quick enough. Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting team. 

His control, technical ability and passing is good but he’s just too slow, thats why as you say he doesn’t move the ball quick enough. That’s why if he played in a back three he would be able to use his passing ability because he wouldn’t be under so much pressure. Not saying I would definitely play him there just that it would be the only position. He did come through our Academy playing centre half I believe?!

4 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

How is his passing good? He does 2 passes, that mostly fail. Other than that his passes go sideways and backwards. And he does those slowly. If he's so technically good, why does it take him so long to do anything? In a back 3 he would be exploited regularly. Managers would put a quick striker on him and say ''play on his shoulder'' and then a ball through the middle or chipped over the top and he's totally had it. 

It saddens me because Tom is so controlled with the ball. All those harriers look like irritating midges when he has the ball under his control, but his reaction speed and ability to get the ball or win a 1-1 has virtually gone. You still see flashes of brilliance but he is getting found out more and more often in a less skilled but high energy game that we are seeing at the moment.

Tom Huddlestone WAS an excellent player but I believe he is now getting picked based on his reputation rather than his current performance levels. As is natural for a player in the twilight of his career, I expect those performance levels to continue to fall, whereas I expect Bielik's performance levels to rise with improving fitness and increased experience. For me, it is a "no-brainer" for Bielik to replace Huddlestone at CDM as soon as possible. This will give much greater protection to our centre backs and will, I believe, significantly improve the tempo of our game and increase our attacking threat as a result.

16 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Soon to be Bielik, Holmes and Knight. It'll be a big improvement IMO and the team will look rather different as a consequence.

Eventually yeah - that's a midfield three to get excited about. The trouble is we could line up like that against Cardiff, 18 year old Knight and 21 year old Bielik who have what - 6ish? Championship appearances between them? How many minutes actually playing alongside each other? And Holmes, by far the senior of the three and hardly an established Championship midfielder yet himself. They'll be up against the vastly experienced Bacuna, Ralls and whoever else and they'll be expected, by the Derby fans, to dominate. And if they don't click immediately and we lose again against Cardiff... #COCUOUT 

2 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Eventually yeah - that's a midfield three to get excited about. The trouble is we could line up like that against Cardiff, 18 year old Knight and 21 year old Bielik who have what - 6ish? Championship appearances between them? How many minutes actually playing alongside each other? And Holmes, by far the senior of the three and hardly an established Championship midfielder yet himself. They'll be up against the vastly experienced Bacuna, Ralls and whoever else and they'll be expected, by the Derby fans, to dominate. And if they don't click immediately and we lose again against Cardiff... #COCUOUT 

I have to agree - We've lost every midfield battle this season, every single one! Knight has looked lost in every game to me, silly fouls, losing possession etc.. he needs to go on loan to get some experience imo.. he's certainly not ready for this level yet. 

2 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I have to agree - We've lost every midfield battle this season, every single one! Knight has looked lost in every game to me, silly fouls, losing possession etc.. he needs to go on loan to get some experience imo.. he's certainly not ready for this level yet. 

Certainly not ready for this level? What? He's been playing with two anchors tied around his ankles in the shape of Dowell and Huddlestone, it's pretty hard to look good when the more experience players next to you are useless. At 18, I think he's looked like one of the better players for us recently, think you're being excessively harsh.

4 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I reluctantly agree. We are always looking toward top 6 if not top 2. Knight is a decent prospect but that's all. 

17 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Can't believe that people are pinning their hopes on the return of Holmes to change our fortunes.  Just can't t see him being that influential. 

Its more the absence of Dowell and Huddlestone that people are looking forward to. Bielik is a far better defensive mid than Huddlestone and Holmes cant perform any worse than Dowell has up to this point. In reality dropping just one of Huddlestone or Dowell would probably be fine - just so long as we dont play them together.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Certainly not ready for this level? What? He's been playing with two anchors tied around his ankles in the shape of Dowell and Huddlestone, it's pretty hard to look good when the more experience players next to you are useless. At 18, I think he's looked like one of the better players for us recently, think you're being excessively harsh.

Against Scunthorpe he was good for the last 15 minutes.

Against Stoke he came on for 10 minutes, made 3 unnecessary fouls and gave the ball away twice, also had a good counter attack which he wasted.

West Brom I thought he was ok, very basic passing, good energy, not much more, didn't really get a kick to be honest.

Brentford - might as well have not turned up like the rest of the sqaud.

He's definitely not ready for this level, he looks like a kid playing with men, He's crying out for a loan in league 2. Needs first team experience but not with us as he's not ready yet!

17 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

One of our main problems at the minute is that the ball isn’t being progressed by the midfield and he can do that

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

Against Scunthorpe he was good for the last 15 minutes.

Against Stoke he came on for 10 minutes, made 3 unnecessary fouls and gave the ball away twice, also had a good counter attack which he wasted.

West Brom I thought he was ok, very basic passing, good energy, not much more, didn't really get a kick to be honest.

Brentford - might as well have not turned up like the rest of the sqaud.

He's definitely not ready for this level, he looks like a kid playing with men, He's crying out for a loan in league 2. Needs first team experience but not with us as he's not ready yet!

I thought he was good the whole game against Scunthorpe. When he came on against Stoke he made a difference, he got into good positions and worked hard. West Brom he had a solid not spectacular game. Brentford, how can you pick out a single player? 

What do you expect from him? He's 18, he works hard, he never shies away from the ball, he's tidy on the ball and can receive it in tight areas and move it on. Reminds me a bit of Harry Winks. Hate to see the young players get stick for doing very little wrong, if he needs to be in league 2, then Dowell and Huddlestone want to be in the conference.

Archived