Tom Huddlestone - Cocu's Favourite Player?

Sheikh n Bake

With a new manager comes the chance for everyone to start again, for many that means it gives them chance all over again to show why they weren't in the first XI when he came. For a few, a fresh wind does bring change.

For me, Huddlestone doesn't have 90 minute legs any more. Some would argue that's not a problem but it does restrict options if you know before kick off that he's one of the three who will need replacing. I'd be surprised, given Cocu's apparent track record of setting up from the back, if his defensive weakness was over looked but - as others have said - the likes of Shinnie may cover it rather than needing Tom to suddenly become a back line pit bull.

But seeing Anya, Martin, Thorne and Huddlestone getting time to shine is a real tick in the box for the management team - they really are letting everyone have a go.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our Mac1 season - the set up of the team allowed both Thorne and Eustace (both of whom were not the most mobile) to be outstanding in this same position. The willing running of Bryson/Hendrick and the passing/creativity of Hughes - gave us a midfield 3 that were comfortable in possession but equally the movement of the front 3 (ok maybe a little less movement from Chris Martin) meant we were able to quickly transition from defence to attack - creating the channels for George’s passing range to cause massive problems for the opposition.

Cocu looks to have a similar approach - and so I see Huddlestone playing a massive part this year.... and IF George can coached back to the player he once seemed - then we are well set in CDM. From first view Dowell seems to offer us the creativity of Hughes. Now we just need the legs/energy of Bryson/Hendrick. Possibly Shinnie (not yet seem so cant comment) possibly Knight?

This is just my opinion and could all be total bow locks of course - but at least I’ve made a contribution again after being a DCFCfans stalker for far too long ?

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Cocu loves him so much he called him "Tom Huddersfield" the other day.

To be fair I imagine he's talked about Huddersfield plenty lately

hi all

Good to see the TH revival in full swing.  Surely he exemplifies the best of DCFC in that he came up through the DCFC Academy, was given an early break (didn't he make his first team debut for us at 16 or something?), sadly we couldn't hold onto him and he was sold by the ******** then in charge for 94p, but he then played in the PL, Champions League and for England before returning to his spiritual home.  Maybe Will Hughes will be back one day...  Let's hope that soon we can start to hang onto the likes of Bogle rather than having to sell them, and the way to do that is to go up.  A future Rams side playing in the PL based on the current amazing U18s, now that will be worth watching if we can make it happen!

I think that Cocu's public statements about promotion are designed to take pressure off the players, I would have said the same publicly if I were in his shoes.  However, behind the scenes surely the thinking will be "we got so close last time, let's go for it again with a few tweaks and get over the line this time, however we do it".  Then let the new golden age begin, a glorious Rams epoch in which we scrap for 40 points each season and finish 15th with 37 or 38 points on the last day, having been in & around the bottom 3 from November till March, singing The Great Escape every week, and always last on MOTD with a few sarky comments from Mr Grinning Fester Crisps Man......erm……??? (LOL)

LR2

I’m a Hudds fan but he does need balance around him to cover his weaknesses - hopefully that’s what Shinnie will bring. 

On his day there are not many passers in any league and if we can deploy him correctly it’ll be fantastic football to watch. 

I see his faults but he does have truly exceptional passing ability and vision. 

• 1 month later...

He can’t defend and he doesn’t control games. 

The only things you can use him for is on the break, firing balls in behind or in a sort of Pirlo role in which he’s just there to purely create and the midfielders ahead of him are there to tackle and run 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

He can’t defend and he doesn’t control games. 

The only things you can use him for is on the break, firing balls in behind or in a sort of Pirlo role in which he’s just their to purely create and the midfielders ahead of him are there to tackle and run 

Never in a million years did I think Pirlo and Huddlestone in the same sentence .

Barasi and Keogh yes 

Maldini and Malone yes 

Even Baggio and Lawrence .. but Pirlo and Hudds ..... well well well 

The Huddlestone debate has been reoccurring ever since his return. Plays a couple of games looks decent, plays a few more and games pass him by, plays a few more and is a liability and fans call for him to be dropped. Team play a few more games without Huddlestone and are as equally inconsistent. Fans call for him to be reinstated to the team  immediately.

3 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I miss the days when we bickered about Jeff Hendricks inconsistency and Will Hughes needing to play further forward.

Our midfield is an unbalanced mess at the minute.

Soon to be Bielik, Holmes and Knight. It'll be a big improvement IMO and the team will look rather different as a consequence.

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

Can't believe that people are pinning their hopes on the return of Holmes to change our fortunes.  Just can't t see him being that influential. 

We've got to have some hope ?He does at least give 100% and runs at players, instead of just doing what the rest do and pass around in front of the opposition.

13 minutes ago, KCG said:

We've got to have some hope ?He does at least give 100% and runs at players, instead of just doing what the rest do and pass around in front of the opposition.

I like him, I'm not saying I don't.  I just don't think he has a huge impact on games.  Lawrence must be due a decent 30 minute spell again soon anyway.  

Archived