Tom Huddlestone - Cocu's Favourite Player?

Sheikh n Bake

Having watched Cocu's interview after the Burton game, it seems like he really rates Tom Huddlestone. It's not that I don't rate him as an individual, but I always thought that under Frank Lampard that we were worse as a team with him in the middle, as the rest of the team would go flat. I often thought we'd rely on Huddlestone's long passing game rather than any other creativity upfront. I hope Cocu can find the right balance with him in the side.

I thought the abuse that Huddlestone was getting at Wembley was toxic. Maybe due to the perceived shortage in midfield that potentially we are overlooking this debate? Or perhaps due to the positive start in pre-season that he's had? Anyone else experienced fans getting on Huddlestone's back? 

Either way, it seems like he's going to be pivotal in the way that Cocu wants to play. 

See 1:36

PS - in future, can we ensure that when Cocu has an interview that the wind is flowing in the same direction as his hair? Seems like he had a nightmare brushing it back over again. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same, maybe not his favourite player, but certainly one who could still be a key player this season. Seen a lot of people writing him off as if he won’t be involved, wanting him replaced, it’s almost seemingly become a fashion to criticise him without much to really back it up other than “he’s slow”. Which, I may add, has been the case since the dawn of time, and in that time he’s played in the champions league, so it’s probably not bothered him too much.

I personally think he’s had one of the better pre seasons of players at the club, and he looks to be fitting in cocus system perfectly- he sits in midfield as the outball from defence, always available and always knowing his next move (which is why he’s so good) while everyone upfront creates options for us. Looks to be vital in that transition getting the back out from the back and up to the forwards. It’s the way he always makes himself available in situations like that that makes me be one of the few that really rates him. Underrated in what he offers above other midfielders in terms of playing out from the back, he never hides and is always that outlet to get us moving into attack.

I think cocu has recognised that in the games so far and has been utilising him in exactly that role, which he’s done very well in so far and contributed to a lot of our good play. Think perhaps he struggled at times last season, particularly later in the season, as he was playing alongside other slow players in midfield like Bryson and Johnson. It seems much more upsets to him this season with him having quicker players around him to help him out, allowing him to show what we all know he can do, pass a ball! Only pre season of course, and things could all change, but So far huddz looks to be a player cocu rates and I can see him playing a key role this season yet- much to the annoyance I suppose of some who bizzarely seem to blame Wembley on him as well as many of our failings last season, rather than the lack of players to play around him.

He isn’t right for every game or against certain types of player and set up but Tom owns the ball in a way all top class players do. Yes occasionally ponderous and despite his size he doesn’t always use his size to dominate but still oozes class. 

I didn't hear any abuse at wembley or elsewhere, altho - hands up - he drives me crackers at times, and i am far from convinced.

he played well at burton, and is a good fit for that Dutch passing style. But......burton kept over running the defence and finding plenty of space behind jozefzoon, dowell and lawrence. Defensively huddz is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard so we are going to have to adapt as a team to accommodate him.....

maybe shinnie will make a difference?

10 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Having watched Cocu's interview after the Burton game, it seems like he really rates Tom Huddlestone. It's not that I don't rate him as an individual, but I always thought that under Frank Lampard that we were worse as a team with him in the middle, as the rest of the team would go flat. I often thought we'd rely on Huddlestone's long passing game rather than any other creativity upfront. I hope Cocu can find the right balance with him in the side.

I thought the abuse that Huddlestone was getting at Wembley was toxic. Maybe due to the perceived shortage in midfield that potentially we are overlooking this debate? Or perhaps due to the positive start in pre-season that he's had? Anyone else experienced fans getting on Huddlestone's back? 

Either way, it seems like he's going to be pivotal in the way that Cocu wants to play. 

See 1:36

PS - in future, can we ensure that when Cocu has an interview that the wind is flowing in the same direction as his hair? Seems like he had a nightmare brushing it back over again. 

At least he has hair to blow, N_R. 

May be not the favourite but probably the most apt to play that midfield position just in front of the defence (the old number 6) picking up the ball and launching the play from there. He certainly played this very well away at Burton especially in the first half when at times I wondered if we were trying to be Man City at the back. Very good to watch and  I liked what I saw but we had most of the ball and the opposition was not great.

Teams will soon work out that Tom H being the pivot, he will be tightly marked as soon as the Roos gets hold of the ball. Tom H has got the abiltiy to receive the ball under pressure and recycle it but when you play close to the 18 yard box even inside it everybody needs to have that ability to do it. When we have not got the ball and against good/strong midfield Hudds will need help as his mobility may be in question. 

I swear I write the same thing multiple times a year but Tom Huddlestone is incredibly important. He's not a ball carrier but his vision and quality of passing will move the ball further up and quicker than Tom Lawrence dribbling at full pace. He's not valuable because he's a defensive destroyer, he's never been that kind of player. He resists pressure and plays right through pressing because he's one step ahead. He always knows a ball out no matter what kind of situation he's put under.

If you watch the Burton game we never played the ball long, always playing out from the back despite the fact we had 3 Burton forwards playing man-to-man in the press. No other midfielder can do this as well as Huddlestone (though I think Holmes can resist pressure through beating players with his first touch).

Defensively Huddlestone will be covered by the likes of Shinnie and Dowell, their positions were very fluid with Huddlestone at points playing as a 10.

As a note Cocu is similar to Guardiola where they love playing with one more player than the opposition in all areas, always having numerical superiority over the other team.

Cocu stage 1. Evaluate the player's strengths and weaknesses

Cocu stage 2.  Personal training to improve the player

Cocu stage 3. If player does.not respond accordingly then replace temporarily with Academy player as warning 

Cocu stage 4. Enter replacement player stage left from Academy or new signing if improvement not made.

(2 year process)

So many football players continue at clubs with the same weaknesses in their game.

Alan Ashman at Carlisle United signed Hugh Mclmoyle who could not use his left foot to score goals. One hour a day for half a season shooting with his left foot made him a two footed player. Not rocket science. Beckham practised free kicks for hours a week which is how he became a naturally gifted free kick taker. Mount and Wilson did a lot of extra practice at Derby did they not?

Twan, Liam and Chris will be pointing out areas for improvement in players and expecting results, I believe.

Dare I say that some Derby players already look better after a fortnight with this staff. Waghorn has already made it clear that Twan is helping him get better. Cocu has told Waghorn to spend more time in the penalty area in games. This is from where most goals are scored.

Always been a big fan of TH. He thrives when he has the right players around him. That's why he was a success at Spurs under 'Arry and why he can still be influential for us with the right mix of midfielders around him. 

Although who is this Tom Huddersfield that Cocu refers to? ?

Archived