Is Mel Morris Derby County’s best ever Chairman / Owner.

Curtains

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did Lionel Pickering do so wrong in his time here just out of curiosity? Barely any mention of the bloke, despite him being the owner in one of our most successful periods since the 70's.

He invested millions in the early 90's to get us out division one , got us the move to PP (although should have gone a longwith the BBG extension), moved us from the dump at Raynesway into Moor Farm, brought Jim Smith in and got us to the Premier, signing the like Stimac, Poom, Baiano, Eranio..

I know he sold us to the amigo's, but that period from 95-99 was absolutely amazing being a kid witnessing promotion, a stadium being built, top signings and pushing for European football

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They still doing time?

Hopefully, mate. But if you look at some of the sorry states that other clubs have found themselves in, as a result of owners taking them for a ride, since, you'd have to question whether the EFL have ever really learned from this sort of situation.

18 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Hopefully, mate. But if you look at some of the sorry states that other clubs have found themselves in, as a result of owners taking them for a ride, since, you'd have to question whether the EFL have ever really learned from this sort of situation.

The EFL learned that when it's charlatans or a club goes bust, they'll take the charlatans. Or if you have money you can do what you want. Basically, the EFL learned to measure its own impotence.

52 minutes ago, Papahet said:

What did Lionel Pickering do so wrong in his time here just out of curiosity? Barely any mention of the bloke, despite him being the owner in one of our most successful periods since the 70's.

He invested millions in the early 90's to get us out division one , got us the move to PP (although should have gone a longwith the BBG extension), moved us from the dump at Raynesway into Moor Farm, brought Jim Smith in and got us to the Premier, signing the like Stimac, Poom, Baiano, Eranio..

I know he sold us to the amigo's, but that period from 95-99 was absolutely amazing being a kid witnessing promotion, a stadium being built, top signings and pushing for European football

Lionel went through a very difficult time in his personal life which affected his ability to run the club and certain sections of the fanbase turned against him in a way which really stunk.

I think it was the co-op bank that took the club away from him and sold us to the 3 crooks and Ramstrust also had a part to play in it when they turned against him.

I reckon we are probably in the safest hands we have been in for years and I really hope Mel gets the success he deserves and can eventually overtake Lionel and Sam Longson by getting us to where we all want to be.

23 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In my lifetime definitely the best, but then again i only have the three amigos, the Americans and him to choose from. Dont know anything about the rest of the owners we've had.

The laugue of gentlemen between the three Amigos and GSE were a mixed bag, saved the club, then fluked a promotion and immediately decided they were just going to try to get what they could out of that fir themselves.

Lionel pickering basically made a fortune then spent it of Derby County.

Confident he will be by the time he's finished if not already. 

The changes at Moor Farm, community work, fan involvement, investment in staff, taking on Sky Sports... he's done more than sit on the throne collecting taxes and occasionally throwing a feast to keep the peasants happy. 

I don't think any chairman will ever make everyone happy. They will make bad signings with managers as even the greatest manager's will make bad player signings. 

The main criticism has been of his itchy trigger finger. We haven't seen that since Mac 2. 

Other criticisms if I remember was publicity. I don't really see a problem with it but that again is something he's eased away from. He's still open enough for us that like to see our owner interested and excited yet he's not pulling anything that can be considered a stunt by those who think his job is to work from the shadows. 

What else have we seen aimed at him? 

Ah! Academy products. This one tends to come from those who seem to think other clubs have a constant feed of young talent bursting onto the scene. For one it takes time to put everything in place to make sure we can recognise and nurture young talent. He only took control a few years ago. Give it chance. And secondly we are already producing football league level talent. If you're expecting wonderkids to come through at a rate of 2 per year then I'm not sure you're looking around at what happens in the world. Even elite clubs picking the finest young talent from around the globe using a vast network of scouts aren't producing a Messi, a Neymar, a Hazard every year. 

What else? Investment and FFP issues. 

Anyone questioning his investment must be on a wind up. I'd find it insulting if I was him. The FFP... 

If Mel says FFP isn't an issue then it's not an issue. Sure it may be naive but until someone more reliable than attention seeking Dave on Twitter then I'll trust a bloke who deals daily with the club finances. Everything surrounding FFP has been gossip.

If there's been other criticisms then I've missed them. But the only one I'd aim is the itchy trigger finger one but since Mac 2 there's been no sign of that and even before that I thought sacking Pearson was bang on. 

He's kind of adapted towards what the majority wanted but not gone so far as to be a kiss arse. He's still the big boss. But he's one of us. 

I really hope Cocu doesn't give him any headaches for bit because he's been doing grafting and now it would be nice to enjoy the ride for a couple of seasons.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Confident he will be by the time he's finished if not already. 

The changes at Moor Farm, community work, fan involvement, investment in staff, taking on Sky Sports... he's done more than sit on the throne collecting taxes and occasionally throwing a feast to keep the peasants happy. 

I don't think any chairman will ever make everyone happy. They will make bad signings with managers as even the greatest manager's will make bad player signings. 

The main criticism has been of his itchy trigger finger. We haven't seen that since Mac 2. 

Other criticisms if I remember was publicity. I don't really see a problem with it but that again is something he's eased away from. He's still open enough for us that like to see our owner interested and excited yet he's not pulling anything that can be considered a stunt by those who think his job is to work from the shadows. 

What else have we seen aimed at him? 

Ah! Academy products. This one tends to come from those who seem to think other clubs have a constant feed of young talent bursting onto the scene. For one it takes time to put everything in place to make sure we can recognise and nurture young talent. He only took control a few years ago. Give it chance. And secondly we are already producing football league level talent. If you're expecting wonderkids to come through at a rate of 2 per year then I'm not sure you're looking around at what happens in the world. Even elite clubs picking the finest young talent from around the globe using a vast network of scouts aren't producing a Messi, a Neymar, a Hazard every year. 

What else? Investment and FFP issues. 

Anyone questioning his investment must be on a wind up. I'd find it insulting if I was him. The FFP... 

If Mel says FFP isn't an issue then it's not an issue. Sure it may be naive but until someone more reliable than attention seeking Dave on Twitter then I'll trust a bloke who deals daily with the club finances. Everything surrounding FFP has been gossip.

If there's been other criticisms then I've missed them. But the only one I'd aim is the itchy trigger finger one but since Mac 2 there's been no sign of that and even before that I thought sacking Pearson was bang on. 

He's kind of adapted towards what the majority wanted but not gone so far as to be a kiss arse. He's still the big boss. But he's one of us. 

I really hope Cocu doesn't give him any headaches for bit because he's been doing grafting and now it would be nice to enjoy the ride for a couple of seasons.

Well said and appears to be a descent chap to boot.?

6 hours ago, Papahet said:

I think you could draw a lot of parallels between Morris and Pickering up to the Clement (maybe Rush) saga. Up till then, Morris was following Pickering's 'mistake' of letting his heart rule his head. The problem, of course, with that heart path is that you can't keep getting it right on emotion alone. I was never the biggest fan of Mel, but I give him huge credit for taking time to learn what it takes to run a football club and not just think (as many do) that because you've been successful elsewhere that gives you a God given right to know how to do it.

Obviously, we're not there yet so no popping the champagne corks just yet awhile but I can tell you that all but the top half dozen or so clubs would kill for a Chairman like ours.

Archived