Is Mel Morris Derby County’s best ever Chairman / Owner.

Curtains

12 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Comments about Mel learning from his mistakes also amaze me. You don't leave school at 15/16 and amass his wealth if you don't learn from mistakes.

So by that logic you must also be a fan of Mike Ashley and the Glazers?

I would completely disagree that wealthy people are destined to be those who learn from their mistakes - in my experience many get it right / lucky once and then think that means they have the answer to everything. It's a story written many times in the annals (yes, two n's) of business, with a rather large chapter dedicated to football club owners.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can only give the ultimate verdict on any tenure after they have left .Mel has had a mixed bag since he took over, if we eventually get promoted they everyone will be positive if we don't then well we know the answer to that one.I like Mel I hope he gets over the line and gets at least some of his money back .

In terms of success Longson  was obviously the best until he had his mental aberration and got rid of the best manager we ever had.And yes I know he resigned.

24 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

So by that logic you must also be a fan of Mike Ashley and the Glazers?

I would completely disagree that wealthy people are destined to be those who learn from their mistakes - in my experience many get it right / lucky once and then think that means they have the answer to everything. It's a story written many times in the annals (yes, two n's) of business, with a rather large chapter dedicated to football club owners.

Mel seems to have 'got lucky' more than once. Suggests he's astute. I didn't say I was a fan of Mel's, just that I believe he's astute and probably learns from his mistakes. No. I'm not a fan of Ashley in any way whatsoever, and neither know nor care about the Glazers.

By the way, I am fan of Mel.

Can’t really answers @Curtains because I don’t have all the evidence.

In my family’s experience yes.

My/our opinion from personal experience is that we would find it hard not to sing the clubs praises in terms of values and treatment of fans.

Obviously some of the transfer stuff seems to have been bonkers but who knows the ins and outs of that?

And a good @Curtains thread by the way.

Always had you down as a  being a prime suspect for being one of Mel’s accounts.

39 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Can’t really answers @Curtains because I don’t have all the evidence.

In my family’s experience yes.

My/our opinion from personal experience is that we would find it hard not to sing the clubs praises in terms of values and treatment of fans.

Obviously some of the transfer stuff seems to have been bonkers but who knows the ins and outs of that?

And a good @Curtains thread by the way.

Always had you down as a  being a prime suspect for being one of Mel’s accounts.

Mel was from Littleover near me. 

Self made man is  Mel. 

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

Short memory I am afraid - think about attitudes to Lionel Pickering when we had promotion and Pride Park  was complete. Mel has made some mistakes and though on a good run now he might make more. Verdicts are premature

all i was saying was with all the modern media that Mel has he has more opportunities.And i certainly dont remember Lionel hosting fan forum nights

After some questionable early calls, I'd say Mel has really got to grips with the task at hand and is doing a fantastic job. He's clearly a true fan first and foremost and I feel grateful to have him at the helm. I like and buy into his vision fot the club and feel confident he will bring us great success in time. Is he the best? Who knows. I wouldn't swap him for anyone right now that's for sure.

Its a big YES here, we have changed from a club with some history, to a Prem club in waiting.

Everything is in place, from facilities to the Academy, with a squad that is starting to take shape, we may be almost there after this window.

The biggest thing for me is the excitement and hope that MM generates, just listen to the interview re PC, that's a FAN talking, not

just a CEO. Just hope we can get the extra investment necessary to keep him for the foreseeable future, when we go up, we will need to

stay there, and MM ensures the best chance of that  ?

Owners are ultimately judged by who they appoint as manager and whether or not they are successful. Despite pronouncements of “perfect fits” and “only one candidate” this choice is pretty much pot luck that no club or owner consistently gets right. 

I would say the best approach is to chuck as much money as possible at it until eventually it turns out ok. Mel is doing this whilst doing lots of other good things around the club. 

Archived