Is Mel Morris Derby County’s best ever Chairman / Owner.

Curtains

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until Lionel Pickering came along I was completely unaware of who our owner was - Lionel was the first person to be identified as "the owner" and he did a great job. And although he did let his heart take control, the he didn't take the wheels off.

That started when Stevie Mac went to Manchester United. While he was adding his pennorth worth towards United's most successful season, Jim Smith went into "let's not lose mode. And suddenly it became obvious where our swashbuckling style had come from. Smith then took Colin Todd under his wing, preparing him to take over in a year or so's time. Toddy thought otherwise and went to the board with his knife ready to plunge into Jim's back. He managed the coup, but the players wouldn't play for him and we tailed off dramatically.

3 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Well said and appears to be a descent chap to boot.?

He'll probably take us down then. 

Some years ago there was a discussion on the radio about Football club chairmen. Basically, the supporters of those clubs who were currently successful thought their chairman was the dog's gonads. The supporters of the clubs doing badly thought the exact opposite.

Quelle surprise.

Comments about Mel learning from his mistakes also amaze me. You don't leave school at 15/16 and amass his wealth if you don't learn from mistakes.

Unpopular opinion, but it has to be Maxwell. Lionel had Derby at heart and provided some great times but Robert saved the club from being wound up and disappearing (approx 2 million to the taxman among others I think).

He also hired Arthur Cox and paid for Shilton, Wright, Tin Man, Saunders, Williams, Bobby, and we went from 3rd div to 5th in the (old) 1st div.

And when he did turn up he would land his helicopter in the Shaftesbury playing fields! 

Was clearly a massive ? though and it didn’t end too well, for anyone concerned. 

12 hours ago, Papahet said:

What did Lionel Pickering do so wrong in his time here just out of curiosity? Barely any mention of the bloke, despite him being the owner in one of our most successful periods since the 70's.

He invested millions in the early 90's to get us out division one , got us the move to PP (although should have gone a longwith the BBG extension), moved us from the dump at Raynesway into Moor Farm, brought Jim Smith in and got us to the Premier, signing the like Stimac, Poom, Baiano, Eranio..

I know he sold us to the amigo's, but that period from 95-99 was absolutely amazing being a kid witnessing promotion, a stadium being built, top signings and pushing for European football

I agree entirely other than in my opinion he didnt gel with the fans like Mel     does 

As Chairman of a club like Derby MM has one job to do - deliver promotion.  He’s failed to deliver.

Better led clubs such as Norwich, Sheff Utd etc serve to highlight MM’s failings as a leader of our football club.

9 minutes ago, A14Ram said:

As Chairman of a club like Derby MM has one job to do - deliver promotion.  He’s failed to deliver.

Better led clubs such as Norwich, Sheff Utd etc serve to highlight MM’s failings as a leader of our football club.

If you think that is the only job of a chairman I dont think you understand the running of a company.

8 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

I agree entirely other than in my opinion he didnt gel with the fans like Mel     does 

Short memory I am afraid - think about attitudes to Lionel Pickering when we had promotion and Pride Park  was complete. Mel has made some mistakes and though on a good run now he might make more. Verdicts are premature

football is so changed thats its hard to make comparisons with previous owners

go back and clubs were cash rich. Many owners invested very little in the facilities, but the football might have been fantastic.

Now, championship clubs are unsustainable without significant financial injections from billionaire owners. Its a sorry state of affairs. As an owner, he has invested millions of his own money but is that good, bad, or just the way it is? Some of that input is strategic. Some of it is a consequence of poor decision making in the recent past. Ultimately there must surely come a time when we scramble our way to a promotion, and he is able to recover some of that dosh. 

He seems to be very ambitious and very hands on in comparion to others who have gone before. He has a desire to see the club develop homegrown talent. This is not new, but he seems to have made every effort to put the necessary infastructure in place. Its not a cheap option either. He gets personally involved in many things. At times he has looked somewhat naive but he has probably been the most committed owner i can remember.

Unfortunately at times supporting a championship  football club does rather feel like a fairly meaningless and pointless exercise; like watching billionaires playing with their expensive toys . this big toy carries the colours of the club which i continue to support - not because i have been won over by the many worthy actions of the current owner - but because its the continuation of a love affair that started fifty years ago. That bond is now somewhat tempered by a slightly quesy feeling of revulsion at what has happened to a game that is awash with cash in the upper echelons. The 'annual investment'  is therefore both something to be celebrated but is also a symptom of something that has got gone ever so slightly wrong.

Mel's biggest mistake so far has been to trust the running of the club to Sam Rush, since we got rid of him and Mel has took a more hands on approach the running of the club has become much better. I think we're now heading in the right direction. Whether we get success or not is still to be seen, but it won't be for want of trying.

21 hours ago, Papahet said:

I know he sold us to the amigo's, but that period from 95-99 was absolutely amazing being a kid witnessing promotion, a stadium being built, top signings and pushing for European football

I actually sat at Lionel's house when he told us the story of what happened when the club was sold, he then asked us to start investigating the takeover. I always remember being told "you'll never get anything on them, they're too clever to be caught" How did that work out Murdo?

In the end people were jailed and the Co-Op bank had to pay him a very very substantial amount of money back, there is no blame attached to him for the sale. It's the FD that needed looking at, the crook.

I could eulogise at length about Mel Morris. I think he is a great visionary and knows where he wants Derby County to be. He has also shown huge resilience and drive to keep his focus in light of setbacks. He totally understands the huge part that the football club plays in the life of Derby and Derbyshire and his vision encompasses every strata of the Derbyshire folk - cf Golden Rams. Down the years  Derbyshire has had some outstanding industrial philanthropists who drove the County forward and it is not an exaggeration to put MM in that bracket. 

I firmly believe that MM is putting down foundations that will eventually return Derby County to the very heights of English football. It doesn’t happen overnight and it’s already been a hard slog but the model that MM is advocating is about reaching the top and being sustainable. Sure he’s had to learn components along the way but who doesn’t? Imagine that “togetherness” of last season, allied to a more robust Cocu team and promotion this year or next. When we do go up {it’s just when not if} we will do so with a tremendous amount of momentum and finesse and critical mass that will propel Derby County to a very bright future. 

We all need to buy into this and transmit our belief to Cocu, his staff and his team. If we do that, success will surely follow. 

Is MM the best owner we’ve had? I would say emphatically yes. 

Archived