Georgie Kinkladze

RedSox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first ever bet was £1 for Kinky to score first and we beat Southampton 4-0. It bloody came in for £400 win. 

One of those players you always wanted on the ball because you just knew he would do something with it. Either a dink little pass that split the defence or a run that took you off your seat. 

Our own little Messi. 

Unpopular comment here but for me he was the definition of a luxury player. Bags of talent but too lazy. That’s why he didn’t play for the top clubs. And whoever said he could get you relegated was spot on  I really didn’t take to Kinky at all I’m afraid. He probably did something minor like not track back or strop or something but I just didn’t like the guy (I didn’t know h but let’s not let that get in the way - this is the web where stupid comments like that are de rigueur)  

My rose-tinted fave is Asanovic at whom you could level the same comments at but he had that nasty, mental streak which appealed to a teenage me. 

20 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Bit like a modern day Stanley Matthews...or Arjen Robben without the pace..you knew exactly what he was going to do, but he did it anyway. Quick drop of the shoulder and he jinked away.  Too good and quick of mind for the rest of the team. 

Was saying exactly this a few days ago when he came up in conversation....great player!!! We didn't have players good enough to play with him at the time.....

8 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Unpopular comment here but for me he was the definition of a luxury player. Bags of talent but too lazy. That’s why he didn’t play for the top clubs. And whoever said he could get you relegated was spot on  I really didn’t take to Kinky at all I’m afraid. He probably did something minor like not track back or strop or something but I just didn’t like the guy (I didn’t know h but let’s not let that get in the way - this is the web where stupid comments like that are de rigueur)  

My rose-tinted fave is Asanovic at whom you could level the same comments at but he had that nasty, mental streak which appealed to a teenage me. 

I loved him...but can agree with some of your comments. However, he never stropped and seemed to accept being a sub to players not fit to lace his boots.

Personally I think the reason he didn't play for a top team was that he didn't score enough goals, a modern day  Coutinho but without the bullet shot. 

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

From what I’ve heard over the years, Eranio, Baiano and Asanovic were more highly-rated by the fans? Didn’t realise there was this level of adoration for him.

Played in era when things were on the slide... skilful players get the blame. 

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

From what I’ve heard over the years, Eranio, Baiano and Asanovic were more highly-rated by the fans? Didn’t realise there was this level of adoration for him.

You rarely seem to get a player these days that can drift and weave away from players like he did without them being at a top top club. I suppose kinky doesn’t get mentioned as much as your aforementioned names as he joined us as we began declining and eventually relegated. Like people mentioned too he didn’t get played as much as his talent deserved.

On 06/07/2019 at 16:51, EraniosSocks said:

Named my dog after this beautiful man, my dad still insists it was after Charlie George but for me, it was this genius.

Surely naming your dog Kinkladze should have been enough of a clue to anyone that it wasnt named after Charlie George ??

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Played in era when things were on the slide... skilful players get the blame. 

Eranio, etc not skillful...? Baiano was stroppy as they came - a very, very good player but too mardy. I remember when he and Eranio linked up - the whole stadium was just in awe as we’d not seen that class for many, many years. Eranio was good all round - proper quality player with little wrong except a lack of pace which wasn’t that noticeable because he was so good positionally.

Oh those were the days when we signed all these foreigners... exciting times they were.

On 06/07/2019 at 16:42, RedSox said:

Loved watching this guy.  How times change.....spacer.pngspacer.png

That's a football shirt shop in Manchester, really good little place to have a walk around. Got a few Derby shirts in there from the 2000s. 

Kinkys just opened a wine bar in Didsbury.

Cracking player! Graham Richards descriptions of him were the best.

Haha can anyone remember Franz carr at scabs darn road ... Nah he could run past anyone but from wa I remember he used ta always run ta corner flag ... I love an out and out winger who could cross instead of this start from back crap. 

12 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Eranio, etc not skillful...? Baiano was stroppy as they came - a very, very good player but too mardy. I remember when he and Eranio linked up - the whole stadium was just in awe as we’d not seen that class for many, many years. Eranio was good all round - proper quality player with little wrong except a lack of pace which wasn’t that noticeable because he was so good positionally.

Oh those were the days when we signed all these foreigners... exciting times they were.

Yes... My point is they were in successful teams.

Kinky came as things took a downturn when Darryl Powell engine-type players are more what fans want to see, not players who dare to try things and lack the mobility and power to track back.

Absolute genius, but sadly played for us when we had the habit of playing people out of position. Kinkladze was designed by God for central midfield, or "in-the-hole", and when we did play him there he ran the show, without fail. But more often than not he was stuck out on the wing, which isn't actually the best position for a guy who wasn't pacy anymore. He did use to be quick, in his Man city days, which is when I first became aware of him, and always thought it would be great to have him at Derby. He was also less effective sat on the subs bench, while lesser players wasted the central midfield role, to be brought on only when we were already 2 or 3 down, with the brief of "go and win the game for us". And towards the end of his time with us, he suffered greatly with neck problems, because he spent most of the match watching the ball hurtle five and a half miles over his head on its way to the opposition defence or goalkeeper. I remember one of his rare games in his correct position against Aston Villa and he absolutely destroyed them.

Let's hope for a modern day equivalent, if only on loan.

Archived