Georgie Kinkladze

RedSox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SKRam said:

His best days were at Maine Rd, sadly never saw him live for Rams. Magician for sure! 

Yes, you beat me to it on that thought. He had a lot of injuries and from memory fell out with Todd. But magical player on his day 

I remember back in my Uni days, me and some friends made dream teams of the sides we supported (Derby, Chelsea, Leeds, Swansea, Northampton, Wycome... there was some right tripe in there). My rams side had Kinky and Taribo West in it and I was promptly laughed out of the pub. I was gobstruck, from the outside they were viewed as joke players. Fat and lazy. We were truly blessed to have seen them play, but their reputations as footballers never really moved outside of the clubs they played for.

If only Kinky had been four stone lighter and blessed with pace, he could have been a world beater.

For me he was full of promise and excitement when we got him on loan, unfortunately when we gave him a full contract his performances fell away and it all ended very disappointingly - don't think injuries helped him though to be fair.

In the old Eagle Centre some may remember that dunkin donuts shop that smelled like a sugar refinery from 50 ft away .  He loved that shop - used to see him there regular.  Great player though- that squad really shouldn't have gone down, If we'd beat Everton in the 4-3 game sure it would have been Bolton instead.

16 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

I remember back in my Uni days, me and some friends made dream teams of the sides we supported (Derby, Chelsea, Leeds, Swansea, Northampton, Wycome... there was some right tripe in there). My rams side had Kinky and Taribo West in it and I was promptly laughed out of the pub. I was gobstruck, from the outside they were viewed as joke players. Fat and lazy. We were truly blessed to have seen them play, but their reputations as footballers never really moved outside of the clubs they played for.

If only Kinky had been four stone lighter and blessed with pace, he could have been a world beater.

And if West had been younger than 45 when he joined us, he could have been on a par with Igor.

On 07/07/2019 at 14:33, RaichCarter said:

Unpopular comment here but for me he was the definition of a luxury player. Bags of talent but too lazy. That’s why he didn’t play for the top clubs. And whoever said he could get you relegated was spot on  I really didn’t take to Kinky at all I’m afraid. He probably did something minor like not track back or strop or something but I just didn’t like the guy (I didn’t know h but let’s not let that get in the way - this is the web where stupid comments like that are de rigueur)  

My rose-tinted fave is Asanovic at whom you could level the same comments at but he had that nasty, mental streak which appealed to a teenage me. 

I understand the reasoning, but I find the term 'luxury player' bizarre, and always have.

The man was a genius - he could tie defenders legs in knots and you could literally feel the whole crowd move to the edge of their seats when he got the ball. He was worth the ticket price alone.

Seeing players like him wearing your club's badge on his chest is what football is all about. I go to be entertained, not to watch 10 men track back to defend. Darryl Powell used to track back but he couldn't do what Kinkladze did. They had two different jobs.

Describing someone as naturally gifted as him who could actually make you gasp at his skill and talent as a luxury is the definition of making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

Loved Kinkladze, played in his proper position with ball to feet he was different gravy. I found it very frustrating when he was benched in a winnable game which we seemingly inevitably went on to draw or lose. However like a few have alluded to he could frustrate by holding onto the ball too long when others were in better positions. He certainly had the talent to be an absolute legend it just always seemed to get away from him, scoring a worldy one minute then frustrating the next. Pleasure to watch though and certainly got you off your feet.  

22 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I understand the reasoning, but I find the term 'luxury player' bizarre, and always have.

For me, it’s when a player is more about his game than the team game or system. If the system is setup so he doesn’t have to track back then I have no problem with that but too many times I’d see him just not be bothered to put a foot in or just do a basic tracking job. 

So it’s not as black and white as him being a DPFG or whatever but at least follow w instructions which he didn’t. Thats why he didn’t play as much as the fans wanted him to - we don’t know half as much as we like to think. And yes, I get the irony of me saying that! 

Ace was as bad if not worse - he’d Strop like a child if he didn’t get the ball when he wanted it but for me, he did a lot more and was more my cuppa tea. He wasn’t lazy as much as he was tapped. 

On 09/07/2019 at 17:07, LittleEatonRam said:

The man was a genius - he could tie defenders legs in knots and you could literally feel the whole crowd move to the edge of their seats when he got the ball. He was worth the ticket price alone.

Seeing players like him wearing your club's badge on his chest is what football is all about. I go to be entertained, not to watch 10 men track back to defend. Darryl Powell used to track back but he couldn't do what Kinkladze did. They had two different jobs.

Describing someone as naturally gifted as him who could actually make you gasp at his skill and talent as a luxury is the definition of making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

Agreed. It is also why I'd much rather watch Huddlestone than Evans incidentally but that is another thread! On that, one could argue the latter could be more effective. Sublime quality in a moment is what it is all about for me though. Kinky may have been a "luxury" but I never cared much about that; I'd rather watch him for a single touch or move in a game than watch a more technically limited player work his socks off for 90 mins. Without doubt he was carried in some games but still worth the admission price of a ticket in my view for the moments of magic only he could deliver. It is an entertainment business afterall and he entertained me! He could of gone to the top with more application in my view but the reason he was at Derby and we got to watch him was because he probably didn't have that Ronaldo/Lampard/Gerrard type drive that top players had. 

2 hours ago, PrestonRam said:

The only player to raise the hair on the beck of my neck, just by coming on the pitch or getting the ball. 

Yer see, just by getting so excited, you inadvertently typed the name "Beck".
I can see why, to be fair... Mikkel was a bit special, wasn't he!  

I always think of Kinkladze and Craig Burley hiding on the pitch when Darryl Powell would win the ball, meaning he had no options.  That would result in Powell trying to do their job, which he wasn’t capable of, unfortunately.

I always thought it was disappointing that Powell got the lion’s share of the blame, when the other pair letting the side down.

4 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I always think of Kinkladze and Craig Burley hiding on the pitch when Darryl Powell would win the ball, meaning he had no options.  That would result in Powell trying to do their job, which he wasn’t capable of, unfortunately.

I always thought it was disappointing that Powell got the lion’s share of the blame, when the other pair letting the side down.

True, but only one of them is still occassionally refered to as a football genius in song. 

Archived