Ballboys and girls BEFORE Saturday.....!!

Motley

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Ballboys urgency should, and usually does, match the urgency of (the home team's) players. That is what they're taught.

If the player is sorting their socks and meandering towards the throw-in/corner location, then the ballboy will not bust a gut getting the ball. If the player is running over to the location, or calling for the ball, the ballboy will go as fast as they can.

This is how they're taught and I don't recall a situation not being in-line with this. I can't remember a Derby player stood at the side of the pitch complaining about not having the ball, unless it's in the crowd.

I agree with the sentiment. I don't see all the games so don't know what happens in general. What you suggest certainly wasn't what was happening in the QPR game when the ball balls and girls were incredibly slow in getting the balls back to the players despite our desperation for a win and the QPR timewasting.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I agree with the sentiment. I don't see all the games so don't know what happens in general. What you suggest certainly wasn't what was happening in the QPR game when the ball balls and girls were incredibly slow in getting the balls back to the players despite our desperation for a win and the QPR timewasting.

It also helps to have the ballfolk being part of the academy. They understand things better.

I don't know if that's true of our lot, but the ballboy at the liverpool game I've seen people mention is one of their u18 players. But those people could be mistaken, of course.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Have a guess which club tried to seek an advantage using multiball this season?

Of course it was Leeds United, who else?

It's like Bielsa just enters into things without checking the terms and conditions, rules, anything really.

He's a salesman's dream, explains why he no longer has a bucket, while his local builders merchant has retired to the Caribbean!

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

100% this. Everyone connected with the club has a role to play in the success of the team. What a ballboy or ballgirl does could make a £100m difference to the club. They need to know their jobs.

Haha  New scapegoats - ballboys!

1 hour ago, minesahartington said:

Remember the Cardiff ball boy who had the shyte kicked out of him by Eden Hazard I think whilst lying on the ball. Mind you wasn’t he about 35? Would be great to employ some serious nutters v Leeds

It was Swansea, he was 18 and Hazard kicked the ball from under him, the boy thought he was Bamford and rolled around a bit making out he got kicked, Leeds are appealing for his 2 game ban as we speak. 

All season out ball boys/girls are painfully slow and a lot of the time, don't even have the bottle to go and get the ball.

Absolutely the club should be improving this. Sit them on the inside, and tell them to be quicker.

Absolutely they should be helping and giving DCFC a helping hand with speed of return whilst remaining fair when it's the opposite way.

The fact they are told quite obviously to throw the ball back is embarrassing in itself...we are at a football match!

What a unbelievable thread, totally with @G STAR RAM on this. 

Its actually migrated down to the kids league this, gone are days of managers etc trying to make sure a kid takes a thrown correctly, or even give the ball back to a 8 year kid etc, sportsmanship has declined in so many levels

No wonder players con and cheat and theirs no sportsmanship anymore, expecting kids to be part of the game tactics.

Let the kids enjoy the football, not turn them into robots. 

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

100% this. Everyone connected with the club has a role to play in the success of the team. What a ballboy or ballgirl does could make a £100m difference to the club. They need to know their jobs.

If we don't win the playoffs then there is no other option but to cut the offending ball boy/ girls wages.

We should then go on to boo them every game until they are hounded out of the club.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ajax ballboys didn’t get the memo last night. Chucked a ball immediately to Lloris in the 93rd minute after the original ball went into the stands. Cost his club a place in the Champions League Final

No, it didn't.  Ajax missed out on the finals because they couldn't defend their goal properly.

Archived