The Politics Thread 2019

Day

18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Grown men laughing at a woman with diabetes for making adjustments to her footwear to maximise her own comfort. That's nice

"God, Diane Abbot - why don't you wear NORMAL shoes that rub, so you get a necrotic ulcer and have to have your leg amputated"

She should have asked for the right shoe then. Not the left. She's going to get blisters and ulcers now. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

All voting in a general election as to be made compulsory. Then provide the option on the ballot paper for casting a vote for none of the candidates.

Compulsory voting is not a bad idea - as long as there is an option for people to formally opt out with a valid reason

8 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm the one that "looks silly" but you're the one mocking a woman with diabetes and somehow equating an individuals choice of what to wear on their feet with competence to govern.

OK boomer

Classic identity politics.

No pal, people aren't mocking her diabetes. 

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

So we're adding "telling a woman how to dress" to your misogynistic repertoire are we?

?? You're on a roll. Proper White Knight stuff. You do realise people don't actually think you are as nice as you poorly attempt to make out with this guff. 

28 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Grown men laughing at a woman with diabetes for making adjustments to her footwear to maximise her own comfort. That's nice

"God, Diane Abbot - why don't you wear NORMAL shoes that rub, so you get a necrotic ulcer and have to have your leg amputated"

Ok, prepared to have an open mind, and I feel for her, along with anyone with a serious illness. But I just cannot visualise a situation where wearing a left shoe on your right foot is possibly going to maximise her comfort. Have gone away and googled and agree it would seem lots of diabetics wear special shoes which have more room, more comfort, dont pinch etc....just seen nothing that suggests putting on a left shoe on your right foot will provide comfort and relief.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Think you are being a bit harsh on people finding it funny. If it was Boris or any other Tory MP with two left shoes on you would be all over it.

34 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

They're laughing at a bigoted racist who can't add up that might be Home Secretary [god forbid] tomorrow not because shes got diabetes .

Abbott deserves every bit of abuse going in my book  and there ain't many people I feel that way about.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Ok, prepared to have an open mind, and I feel for her, along with anyone with a serious illness. But I just cannot visualise a situation where wearing a left shoe on your right foot is possibly going to maximise her comfort. Have gone away and googled and agree it would seem lots of diabetics wear special shoes which have more room, more comfort, dont pinch etc....just seen nothing that suggests putting on a left shoe on your right foot will provide comfort and relief.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Think you are being a bit harsh on people finding it funny. If it was Boris or any other Tory MP with two left shoes on you would be all over it.

I don't have diabetes, but I do have an incredibly painful leg ulcer at the minute.

If only I'd known wearing my shoes on the wrong feet could have prevented it!

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

So you would prefer somebody like Robert Maxwell or Philip Green to look after your pension money rather than the British state?

For what it's worth BT took a pension contribution holiday and took the opportunity to modernise the network with the money saved .One of the main reasons for the pension deficit .Ask me how I know.

30 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

You do realise people don't actually think you are as nice as you poorly attempt to make out 

This may come as a surprise to you, but I actually couldn't care less what a load of old reactionary gits on a football forum think of me.

Voting%20intention%20by%20age%2012%20Nov

Change is coming boomer - maybe not this time, but soon enough

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Basically saying anyone, including his family are monumentally stupid for not agreeing with him.

I disagree with his general outlook, but that’s not what he said.

He said that it was monumentally stupid of his parents to just shrug and say ‘Not our problem, we’ll be long gone anyway’ whenever their views were remotely challenged. I agree.

8 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

This may come as a surprise to you, but I actually couldn't care less what a load of old reactionary gits on a football forum think of me.

That graph will never change. 

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I disagree with his general outlook, but that’s not what he said.

He said that it was monumentally stupid of his parents to just shrug and say ‘Not our problem, we’ll be long gone anyway’ whenever their views were remotely challenged. I agree.

So he never used the words monumentally stupid when discussing people who didnt agree with him?

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Anything to say on the pattern of people switching from Labour to Tory as they get older?  You'd most likely have almost identical breakdowns 40 years ago.

Edit: a quick google gave me this graph...

image.png.e0cfa897e26068101db77b44d20e7c49.png

11 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

For what it's worth BT took a pension contribution holiday and took the opportunity to modernise the network with the money saved .One of the main reasons for the pension deficit .Ask me how I know.

BT is a private company and, like many private companies, it is not averse to raiding its own pension fund and transferring as much of the risk as possible to the fund's members. My own company has done similar things, and new entrants have a much poorer deal than when I joined in the 1980s.

The Tories won't stop companies from raiding their own pension funds. In fact, they'd probabyl encourage it, given that most of their income comes from big finance.

Archived