The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You’re right not to put too much stock in them. But I think it’s worth noting that they’re following a similar pattern to the 2017 election, where Labour made a fairly late surge.

Hypothetically, what would you, @Angry Ram, @maxjam, etc, think of a Labour-led coalition (not saying that this will happen even in the case of a Hung Parliament)? A hopelessly powerless government or one that could be viable thanks to Labour being tempered somewhat? 

I said earlier in this thread that I'm at the point where I don't really care who wins now so long as someone gets a majority - we can then start to move forwards again as a country and the government will live or die by its decisions.  

If you're talking coalitions a Tory led coalition that delivered Brexit would at least resolve Brexit.  A Labour minority coalition would mean virtually every other party coming together simply to stop the Tories - which would be an insane nightmare imo.  We'd all be better off jetting off to warmer climes or retreating to our doomsday bunkers until it all came to a crashing halt ?

6 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Just cast my vote. Put it this way, our pensions are safe and Len McCluskey will have to put his secondary picketing ideas on hold for a few more years.

Yes, it's quite shocking the amount of power the unions have now. Look at the Asda workers - they have the audacity to not expect to be sacked if they don't lay down and accept worse terms and conditions, and in many cases less pay. The sheer cheek of the peasantry these days!

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You’re right not to put too much stock in them. But I think it’s worth noting that they’re following a similar pattern to the 2017 election, where Labour made a fairly late surge.

Hypothetically, what would you, @Angry Ram, @maxjam, etc, think of a Labour-led coalition (not saying that this will happen even in the case of a Hung Parliament)? A hopelessly powerless government or one that could be viable thanks to Labour being tempered somewhat? 

Absolute disaster for this country. We need clear strong leadership at the moment, not a hotch potch of agendas that will not enable the country to move forward. 

37 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes, it's quite shocking the amount of power the unions have now. Look at the Asda workers - they have the audacity to not expect to be sacked if they don't lay down and accept worse terms and conditions, and in many cases less pay. The sheer cheek of the peasantry these days!

Yeah Asda should have just continued as they were and ended up being a loss making company that would result in greater job losses. 

I work for a company that doesn’t give people the choice when they need to cut costs, unfortunately we don’t live in a fairytale land where businesses can operate at a loss and continue to survive. 

10 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Yeah Asda should have just continued as they were and ended up being a loss making company that would result in greater job losses. 

I work for a company that doesn’t give people the choice when they need to cut costs, unfortunately we don’t live in a fairytale land where businesses can operate at a loss and continue to survive. 

We could recognise that workers actually contribute a lot towards that 80k per year you take home, couldn't we? You talk about the risks you take, but at the end of the day it's the guy at the bottom who has to suck it up and accept what comes.

58 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

baalocks. Again. The wage has gone up. 

My Mrs has Boxing Day off because Bank Holidays are now optional on contracted days. And double time if you wish to work them. Which she is. Brilliant. 

I reckon this will be a Tory majority but it will be so close. I think Farage's tactic of not standing in Conservative seats is a masterstroke (sorry to the many Labour forum members). That I think will win the election, not because Boris is the favourite candidate.

15 minutes ago, Norman said:

baalocks. Again. The wage has gone up. 

My Mrs has Boxing Day off because Bank Holidays are now optional on contracted days. And double time if you wish to work them. Which she is. Brilliant. 

And breaks are now unpaid. And you can't decline a request to work in a particular store.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

We could recognise that workers actually contribute a lot towards that 80k per year you take home, couldn't we? You talk about the risks you take, but at the end of the day it's the guy at the bottom who has to suck it up and accept what comes.

What makes you think he does not also have to suck it up and take what comes? Do you think someone on 80k does not have to bloody earn that? He could possibly work in a less forgiving area of the business where the pressures are huge. Of course we all contribute but it is different ways, each as important but don’t you dare belittle the guy who earns a decent wage and works bloody hard, sometimes on very long unpaid hours. 

7 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I reckon this will be a Tory majority but it will be so close. I think Farage's tactic of not standing in Conservative seats is a masterstroke (sorry to the many Labour forum members). That I think will win the election, not because Boris is the favourite candidate.

'Boris Johnson has warned that every vote for the Brexit Party today will increase the likelihood of Labour gaining power after a new analysis revealed that Nigel Farage could stop the Tories taking 16 seats.'

Interesting. Haven't looked into this analysis, mind.

7 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

A master stroke? Farage has spent the last year telling us all what a bad deal had been agreed! 

Anyone entering into pacts or tactical voting should hang their head in shame.

No wonder trust in politicians are at an all time low.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

'Boris Johnson has warned that every vote for the Brexit Party today will increase the likelihood of Labour gaining power after a new analysis revealed that Nigel Farage could stop the Tories taking 16 seats.'

Interesting. Haven't looked into this analysis, mind.

It's a complete mess, and PR would clear this up.

We had the spectacle of the Brexit campaign running ads for the Green Party, because they wanted to split the remain vote. It's an absolute joke.

Archived