The Politics Thread 2019

Day

5 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Up until the war, Churchill was known as the pillock who put the £ back onto the gold standard and made the British economy uncompetitive, leading to the depression of the Thirties.

Perhaps Boris Johnson will be known as the pillock who ruined the British economy by cutting it of from its key European markets.

Or the one that saved us from a failing system?

What do you mean by cutting us off from key European markets?

Do you believe that we will no longer trade with Europe then?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.lbc.co.uk/politics/elections/general-election-2019/labour-cut-rail-fares-train-strike-south-western/

'Labour has announced plans to introduce a 33% cut to rail fares, a move the party say will save the average commuter over £1000 a year'

Ahem, is this costed in the grey book?  All these little incidental costs are starting to mount up.  £58bn extra needed for pensions, compulsary electric boilers, cheap rail fares.  They aren't even in government yet and the spending list is getting bigger and bigger on an almost daily basis!

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/politics/elections/general-election-2019/labour-cut-rail-fares-train-strike-south-western/

'Labour has announced plans to introduce a 33% cut to rail fares, a move the party say will save the average commuter over £1000 a year'

Ahem, is this costed in the grey book?  All these little incidental costs are starting to mount up.  £58bn extra needed for pensions, compulsary electric boilers, cheap rail fares.  They aren't even in government yet and the spending list is getting bigger and bigger on an almost daily basis!

You can expect another laughing emoji for that!

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You can expect another laughing emoji for that!

Probably, although I'm trying to stick to facts to do with this election and not concerning myself with 1940s election manifesto's or the petty back and forth thats going on.

3 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Alright, own up … you are a modern historian aren't you?

suede shoes and floppy hair

This did make me chuckle. I studied history, yes, guilty as charged, but my head is shaven (to hide my thinning thatch) and I don't own any suede shoes, I promise! 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not a chance this time around.

A 'fully costed manifesto' that omitted £58bn tells me all I need to know about how deliverable the current plans are.

So you're not othered that the money was stolen but you are bothered about the accounting processes for the repayal. What a surprise!

36 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Probably, although I'm trying to stick to facts to do with this election and not concerning myself with 1940s election manifesto's or the petty back and forth thats going on.

I merely responded to a post from one of your fellow Tories which was a pack of lies and I did so with a factual response. What happened to your stance of welcoming open debate I wonder or is it only petty when us Trots expose Tory BS?

Double-standards much?

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I merely responded to a post from one of your fellow Tories which was a pack of lies and I did so with a factual response. What happened to your stance of welcoming open debate I wonder or is it only petty when us Trots expose Tory BS?

Double-standards much?

Nope, you lot can go ahead I'm not trying to stop you - just not interested in getting dragged into the pettiness myself.

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Not entirely true.

The Tory Govt - the appeasement party - effectively blew up in May 1940,after the disastrous Norway campaign which forced Chamberlain to resign.

Churchill formed a cross-party Govt, one third Labour, with Attlee as Deputy PM. Attlee effectively kept the factories going and the babies fed while Winston tried to get the USA to give us tons of kit and come in earlier.

Tory back benchers actually held a vote of no confidence in Churchill, as they didn't like the way he was running the war.

Plus the USSR did all the heavy lifting defeating the German army (then Commies damn them).

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Up until the war, Churchill was known as the pillock who put the £ back onto the gold standard and made the British economy uncompetitive, leading to the depression of the Thirties.

Perhaps Boris Johnson will be known as the pillock who ruined the British economy by cutting it of from its key European markets.

Churchill was also a hair's breadth from converting to Islam - his family pleaded with him not to do so fearing the outrage such a move would elicit and he ultimately relented. 

Can you imagine how many right-wing heads would explode at the notion of a Muslim Churchill? 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Have you read the article you linked? It makes it clear that this is a detail covered by the section of the manifesto covering nationalisation of the railways. It also explains where the money is coming from (increases in VED). So it is in the grey book and it's not an "incidental cost"

I think you're on shaky ground criticising this of all Labour's policies as it's one of the most credible, one of the most popular and one of the most urgenty required changes.

Train fares in this country are a joke thanks to the idiot franchise system. Try and get a train from Derby to London at an affordable price - it's a dark art. 3 of us travelled across Europe this summer from Prague to Munich for about a third of the price of a single ticket from Derby to London

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Churchill was also a hair's breadth from converting to Islam - his family pleaded with him not to do so fearing the outrage such a move would elicit and he ultimately relented. 

Can you imagine how many right-wing heads would explode at the notion of a Muslim Churchill? 

Probably not a good idea putting Muslim and explode in the same sentence, the leftie snowflakes might go into meltdown.

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Have you read the article you linked? It makes it clear that this is a detail covered by the section of the manifesto covering nationalisation of the railways. It also explains where the money is coming from (increases in VED). So it is in the grey book and it's not an "incidental cost"

I think you're on shaky ground criticising this of all Labour's policies as it's one of the most credible, one of the most popular and one of the most urgenty required changes.

Train fares in this country are a joke thanks to the idiot franchise system. Try and get a train from Derby to London at an affordable price - it's a dark art. 3 of us travelled across Europe this summer from Prague to Munich for about a third of the price of a single ticket from Derby to London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50621621

Labour's manifesto contained a pledge to make rail travel cheaper but no details about what that would entail.

33% cut = 1.5bn/year

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Sorry @SchtivePesley but responding with 'facts' is just plain petty and you should desist without delay.

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Train fares in this country are a joke thanks to the idiot franchise system. Try and get a train from Derby to London at an affordable price - it's a dark art.

Couldn't agree more. Rail fares are not even close to being okay in this country, it's ok for some shorter trips, but down to London is an absolute rip off, even for me when using a rail card to get money off. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Probably not a good idea putting Muslim and explode in the same sentence, the leftie snowflakes might go into meltdown.

Ah 'leftie snowflakes' - reverting to your demeaning type in no time at all I see. Do you automatically associate Muslims with explosions then matey? It would seem so from your post.

I wonder whether @maxjam considers this response petty or not. What say you Max?

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Went to London at the weekend. Drove to Lichfield, £18 return, £12 parking for the weekend. Cheaper than driving.

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What pettiness? Spit it out.

And this is how you get dragged into petty arguments ?

Just read the last few pages of the thread this morning and its mostly petty back and forth.  I was trying to keep out of it but here I am - so this will be my last comment on it.

Archived