Montenegro v England

Mr. P

Quality again from England. Southgate has really grown on me.

He is everything the FA want and now what the supporters want. Loving the youth coming through. Golden generation? Been there so many times before but something is different here. So much talent for him to choose from and maybe not so many ego's.

Class acts everywhere.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Do we even need to bother with the rest of the qualifiers? The Czech Republic and Montenegro were the two best ranked opponents in our group at 44 and 46 respectively and we scored 5 goals against both of them. Kosovo are 130 and Bulgaria 48, so dont think we ate going to struggle against either.

The qualification groupings are never competitive. Its just for tele.

Weird all the stuff about the racist chanting - I ddn't hear it myself on TV. Did anyone else?

Not that I doubt the players/staff who reported it, just that the commentator said when Sterling cupped his ears that he hadn't heard any, and that Montenegro had no history of it.

Must have been a minority (which is still too many) - just makes me sad because Montenegro is a beautiful place and the people seemed far too chilled to be racist ?

Our group might be easy, but i think group J is even easier for Italy. They have two teams that arent even in the top 100 of the rankings...

They should just do away with qualifying and have one big knockout tournament. At least it would be more interesting that way with potential upsets. Kazakstans victory over Scotland might actually have meant something in that scenario (although i dont know why a team from central asis is playing in the euros).

10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Must have been a minority (which is still too many) - just makes me sad because Montenegro is a beautiful place and the people seemed far too chilled to be racist ?

Its the Balkans. One of the most nationalistic places on the planet who all hate each other and pretend they dont speak virtually the same language. Outsiders stand even less chance.

14 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Its the Balkans. One of the most nationalistic places on the planet who all hate each other and pretend they dont speak virtually the same language. Outsiders stand even less chance.

If it was Serbia then yeah - but all the Montenegrins we met seemed lovely AND embarassed by the war. They were essentially bullied into taking part by the Serbians who convinced them that the Croatians were going to steal their land.

12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

If it was Serbia then yeah - but all the Montenegrins we met seemed lovely AND embarassed by the war. They were essentially bullied into taking part by the Serbians who convinced them that the Croatians were going to steal their land.

Of course they’re racist, even their countries name is racist. Can’t go round saying negro, ask Luis Suarez, it should probably be ‘BAME mountain’. 

7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Football matches always bring out the worst people. England certainly had its fair share of similar behaviour in the past.

Id be embarrased as well if my country had taken part in a campaign of ethnic cleansing and attempted genocide. 

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I went to Croatia and they seemed lovely. My brother who fought over there thinks they're as bad as each other.

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Could you be any more credulous? Completely absolving one people of any responsibility for their part in a war based on nothing beyond your personal experience, whilst in the very same sentence writing off another nation as racists, liars, and propagandists. Amazing.

Yes, there will absolutely have been a concerted propaganda campaign from the Serbs, but you're a fool if you think there weren't a sizable number of Montenegrins all too ready to swallow any excuse or that the Croats weren't using propaganda of their own. The Balkans is a hugely complicated region, swallowing the Serbia = bad, everyone else = good narrative is ridiculously naive.

18 minutes ago, Anon said:

Could you be any more credulous? Completely absolving one people of any responsibility for their part in a war based on nothing beyond your personal experience, whilst in the very same sentence writing off another nation as racists, liars, and propagandists. Amazing.

Yes, there will absolutely have been a concerted propaganda campaign from the Serbs, but you're a fool if you think there weren't a sizable number of Montenegrins all too ready to swallow any excuse or that the Croats weren't using propaganda of their own. The Balkans is a hugely complicated region, swallowing the Serbia = bad, everyone else = good narrative is ridiculously naive.

Well yeah - it was just a passing comment on a football forum. I wasn't about to write a thesis. But thanks for the feedback. Sorry I made your sphincter pinch ?

back to the football , Sterling gets better every game , and i was impressed with Barkley, think we need to settle on a regular pair of full backs then we will be good to go , Southgate has got the nation falling back in love with the national team , long may it continue

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Weird all the stuff about the racist chanting - I ddn't hear it myself on TV. Did anyone else?

Not that I doubt the players/staff who reported it, just that the commentator said when Sterling cupped his ears that he hadn't heard any, and that Montenegro had no history of it.

Maybe it was those idiots with the Scottish flag.

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I heard it clear as day through the TV, not early doors but certainly after sterling’s goal there were clear monkey noises being made. Absolute disgrace, really is

8 hours ago, Srg said:

Doesn't really matter, takes 3 to get banned and the group will allow us to cope with a suspension if it ever gets that far. Quite liked it to be honest, shows they cared and weren't getting intimidated by everything from the late tackles, pull backs and racist chants.

What, by taking a free kick before the ref blew his whistle? ?

6 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Yes, I heard them making monkey noises in the second half, Sterling had received a long ball out on the wing. Would have been around 55/60 minutes. 

16 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

They used to be competitive when only 16 teams qualified for the Euros, but now 24 are allowed in, its routine for Europe's big 6-8 teams.

I’d disagree with that theory, the smaller nations have got better

Archived