Training Regimes

Comrade 86

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my longest run ever on Saturday evening, we got surprised with a 7am PT session on Sunday morning. Joy. Circuits. 

HIT circuits are meant to be dead effective. But it wasn’t particularly welcome. Our PT instructor knows his apples though so might be worth trying this. We did 10 exercises in the circuit, 45 seconds on the exercise, with 15 seconds rest. Then round the circuit again, but whoever was on the rowing machine had to do 200m, and everyone else had to do their exercise til they’d finished. With no breaks. Followed by a bit of static sprinting to finish off.

duck me it’s only about 20 minutes hard work, but it absolutely slays you. 

Stretch!!

no one’s mentioned that yet. It’s super important. 

I did this regime when I first got the book about 5 years ago, but didn’t really enjoy it, cos I found I was in constant pain and stiff as a board.

this time I’ve been following the book religiously, including where it says ‘warm up’ and ‘10 minute cool down and stretch’. 

Its made such a difference. It’s almost like a yoga session with every work out, and I’ve heard that can be really effective too. I’m a lot more flexible, in a lot less pain, and that ultimately makes me more ready to put 100% into the next exercise. 

So the moral is: don’t neglect your stretching. 

On 24/03/2019 at 07:08, Anag Ram said:

I think your issue might be the word ‘regime’.

I get your frustration at not being able to do the things you used to but you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. 

If you can fit press-ups and sit-ups into your day, great. Don’t worry how many. 

If you can fit in a jog or a swim, even better.

Free weights will help body tone, but you need aerobic exercise too. You will feel so much better.

Find a challenge - a walk, run, cycle or swim for example that seems out of reach but needs training for. Book it so you have a commitment.

Reward yourself with a smile when you have exercised. Don’t get hung up on what you haven’t achieved.

Oh, and good luck!

Different strokes for different folks. 

Personally I love a routine. It would be too easy for me to just say ‘I don’t really have time today, I’ll band some press ups out tomorrow’, and then never do anything. 

A regime puts extra pressure on myself, admittedly. I get a bit stressed if I’ve got to the end of the day and still haven’t managed to fit my schedules work out in. And if I do miss a day, they start stacking up. But it all keeps me on the right path, and makes sure I do plan it into my day. 

It also makes my wife more supportive. Without a set regime, it would be harder for me to justify ‘I’m just going for a run.’ Oh no you’re not, big while there’s 3 kids still to put in bed.’

But if I can say ‘my book says I need to go for a run today’ she works with me to work out the best time to do that, and actively tells me to get out there and do it.

it helps that she’s enjoying the results too. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Different strokes for different folks. 

Personally I love a routine. It would be too easy for me to just say ‘I don’t really have time today, I’ll band some press ups out tomorrow’, and then never do anything. 

A regime puts extra pressure on myself, admittedly. I get a bit stressed if I’ve got to the end of the day and still haven’t managed to fit my schedules work out in. And if I do miss a day, they start stacking up. But it all keeps me on the right path, and makes sure I do plan it into my day. 

It also makes my wife more supportive. Without a set regime, it would be harder for me to justify ‘I’m just going for a run.’ Oh no you’re not, big while there’s 3 kids still to put in bed.’

But if I can say ‘my book says I need to go for a run today’ she works with me to work out the best time to do that, and actively tells me to get out there and do it.

it helps that she’s enjoying the results too. 

Fairy nuff.

On 24/03/2019 at 00:55, 86 points said:

Xmas paunch has failed to shift this year so been thinking about get back into training. Ideally I'd have liked to do some team sports but I'm probably too fragile for rugby and definitely too slow for football these days. Played 5-a-side not too long back on a pitch no bigger than two tennis courts and nearly blacked out after 10 mins - also had astro turf burns a foot long on both legs! Boxing and martial arts a definite no-no as am already punchy as fook, though would love to spar as not much gets you fitter quicker. That said, I'm not much of a gym rat these days so struggling for viable options.

What do you folk do for exercise? Pretty sure I saw @Spanish had qualified for something at national level recently (athletics?) which is super cool. Anyone else amongst us forumites still playing sports at a decent level or in training to do so? Was banging out 200 - 400 press-ups daily in 100 reps until a couple of years back. Nearly collapsed after 20 last night so got to stop the rot somehow.

Anyone found any good bodyweight type workouts worth having a look at? Apart from increasingly irregular sex and ever more regular powerwa*nks, I've kind of lapsed into physical apathy so I figure I need to be doing something for general strength, heart and lungs. Friend who's super-buff told me free weights increase bone density which matters as you get older so might invest in a rack for home. @Norman pretty sure you mentioned you train regularly - what works? Anyone got any advice on what else is out there in terms of general regimes that are worth considering and do the forum fitness gurus amongst you think diet is important beyond the obvious stuff? I eat sensibly (I think) and pretty much always cook fresh food but I'm thinking swapping red meat for fish some of the time might be good?

Cheers.

Hi, in Poland now at the world champs and it is ducking amazing.  Got knocked out in the first round but still ranked in the top 20 which I am delighted with.  I started this because exercise is difficult without a target.  When I felt like not training there was a voice in my head reminding me that I didn’t want to look a prat (well not more than normal).  Good job really because it was televised and there were a lot of people who know me watching). Although I played a lot of sports to a reasonable standard athletics was always my top discipline and I intend to continue now ( Venice for the Europeans later in the year, Toronto for the worlds next year).  So the advice I would give is try to find something that has a target and something that you hopefully enjoy.  Without a driver to make you do it I think it will be an uphill challenge for anybody.  Thanks for the nice comment it does feel pretty cool ?  

On 25/03/2019 at 07:19, TigerTedd said:

Stretch!!

no one’s mentioned that yet. It’s super important. 

I did this regime when I first got the book about 5 years ago, but didn’t really enjoy it, cos I found I was in constant pain and stiff as a board.

this time I’ve been following the book religiously, including where it says ‘warm up’ and ‘10 minute cool down and stretch’. 

Its made such a difference. It’s almost like a yoga session with every work out, and I’ve heard that can be really effective too. I’m a lot more flexible, in a lot less pain, and that ultimately makes me more ready to put 100% into the next exercise. 

So the moral is: don’t neglect your stretching. 

I don’t stretch enough(it hurts),listen to David Goggins talking about stretching,enough to make anyone do it.

Gym 3 times a week: 30-40 mins cardio (cross trainer, mainly. Fairly high resistance level). 20-30 mins weights (via machines - I struggle with correct posture for doing free weights)

Brisk walk at lunchtime when workload/weather allows. 1.5 miles / 30 mins on average 3-4 times a week.

Diet: Low carb, High fat & protein

Alcohol & Cigarettes: Yes. Too much. Working on it......

On 23/03/2019 at 23:55, 86 points said:

Xmas paunch has failed to shift this year so been thinking about get back into training. Ideally I'd have liked to do some team sports but I'm probably too fragile for rugby and definitely too slow for football these days. Played 5-a-side not too long back on a pitch no bigger than two tennis courts and nearly blacked out after 10 mins - also had astro turf burns a foot long on both legs! Boxing and martial arts a definite no-no as am already punchy as fook, though would love to spar as not much gets you fitter quicker. That said, I'm not much of a gym rat these days so struggling for viable options.

What do you folk do for exercise? Pretty sure I saw @Spanish had qualified for something at national level recently (athletics?) which is super cool. Anyone else amongst us forumites still playing sports at a decent level or in training to do so? Was banging out 200 - 400 press-ups daily in 100 reps until a couple of years back. Nearly collapsed after 20 last night so got to stop the rot somehow.

Anyone found any good bodyweight type workouts worth having a look at? Apart from increasingly irregular sex and ever more regular powerwa*nks, I've kind of lapsed into physical apathy so I figure I need to be doing something for general strength, heart and lungs. Friend who's super-buff told me free weights increase bone density which matters as you get older so might invest in a rack for home. @Norman pretty sure you mentioned you train regularly - what works? Anyone got any advice on what else is out there in terms of general regimes that are worth considering and do the forum fitness gurus amongst you think diet is important beyond the obvious stuff? I eat sensibly (I think) and pretty much always cook fresh food but I'm thinking swapping red meat for fish some of the time might be good?

Cheers.

Darts, a good mental workout.

Seriously, I purchased a spinning bike. (Professional and not cheap) but it really helps through the winter months especially as I am a fair weather cyclist. Also less time gearing up for the great outdoors.

Pop the radio on and cycle away, put your favourite music on and go with the tempo. 

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

It's a month later @86 points. How's that Xmas paunch shifting? 

You're just a month fatter aren't you?

Me too. I'm getting on it now though. Just treated myself to a gym membership and a new pair of running shoes! 

Honestly? Yes, fat as a house. In my defence though I've been laid up for 3 weeks with a back issue as I've managed to damage my sciatic nerve. It's making me even grumpier than I normally am so the moment I'm back on my feet I'm getting on it like a mad thing. When I say that I actually mean I'll be starting off with a few brisk walks and building from there. It's bloody hateful and all the more reason to be doing something about it asap. Good luck with the gym thing! 

Start with a fairly light blond like Leffe, Brugse Zot or even Duvel if you are particularly adventurous, then progress through dubbels like Achel Brune or Westmalle Dubbel to tripels like Chimay White, Anime, Tongerlo Prior or Waterloo. Then when you are growing more confident and want to test your limits, I suggest you consider really taking the plunge with more serious weight - say Rochefort Trappistes 10, Gulden Draak 9000, St Bernardus Abt 12 or even Kasteel Donker, Barista Chocolate Quad or Straffe Hendrik Quad, but be careful to use a spotter.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Start with a fairly light blond like Leffe, Brugse Zot or even Duvel if you are particularly adventurous, then progress through dubbels like Achel Brune or Westmalle Dubbel to tripels like Chimay White, Anime, Tongerlo Prior or Waterloo. Then when you are growing more confident and want to test your limits, I suggest you consider really taking the plunge with more serious weight - say Rochefort Trappistes 10, Gulden Draak 9000, St Bernardus Abt 12 or even Kasteel Donker, Barista Chocolate Quad or Straffe Hendrik Quad, but be careful to use a spotter.

Thanks @eddie but whilst a 'light blond' would doubtless be a decent work-out, I think I'm after a different type of regime right now ?

A 'run every day' challenge sheds the pounds pretty quickly.

I decided to give it a go this month with a mimimum 3 miles a day. All upon waking up (Mainly 5:30am) so i think the fasted running has helped a fair bit with trimming the fat.

This month i have gone from around 11st12 to 11st7.

Despite running for ages (used to longer distance), i have just done my first 2 park run's. You're bound to have one nearby. A free timed 5k every Saturday morning only competing with your previous times is great for motivation.

Archived