Best manager in the last 10 years.

Derby blood

After a lot of moaning from some fans about our manager again. Who would be your best managers in the last 10 years?

number one would have to be Mac part one, for the excitement, he gave me to that 86 point season

number 2 Nigel Clough for sorting us out, wage bill, and getting us to be competative again, and some great wins over the red dogs and Leeds

number 3 Frank Lampard, could be my number one if he takes us up, bringing through some exciting players, also building a team for the future, given time I am sure he will bring success to Derby.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

After a lot of moaning from some fans about our manager again. Who would be your best managers in the last 10 years?

number one would have to be Mac part one, for the excitement, he gave me to that 86 point season

number 2 Nigel Clough for sorting us out, wage bill, and getting us to be competative again, and some great wins over the red dogs and Leeds

number 3 Frank Lampard, could be my number one if he takes us up, bringing through some exciting players, also building a team for the future, given time I am sure he will bring success to Derby.

Mac version 1 by a country mile. 

Why are we then mentioning a manager who potentially could do good things in the same discussion I could say the same thing about Pearson,  Clement etc

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Mac. 

Broke a few records didn't he? Goals, points and clean sheets at PP or summat? 

Most my fave games since relegation were Mac games. Forest, Brighton, Blackpool, Wolves, Leeds, Watford... could name more

Yeovil.

2 down at half time thanks to the on loan gump, and having a half time pint being absolutely certain we'd still win the game!

11 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Mac version 1 by a country mile. 

Why are we then mentioning a manager who potentially could do good things in the same discussion I could say the same thing about Pearson,  Clement etc

Let's put it this way Frank has started much better than Pearson did, and bought better players to the club than Clement did, but I do get your point. So on that basis I would have Burley as number 3, no money to spend bought in some exciting players for nothing like Smith , Rasik and Idi, also got us to the play offs playing some very good football.

6 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Let's put it this way Frank has started much better than Pearson did, and bought better players to the club than Clement did, but I do get your point. So on that basis I would have Burley as number 3, no money to spend bought in some exciting players for nothing like Smith , Rasik and Idi, also got us to the play offs playing some very good football.

Hate to tell you, but that’s more than 10 years ago. You’re getting old my friend, time keeps ticking on. Even billy doesn’t get into the 10 year time frame I think. Jewell maybe just (although in a list of about 8, he’d be number 20). 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Hate to tell you, but that’s more than 10 years ago. You’re getting old my friend, time keeps ticking on. Even billy doesn’t get into the 10 year time frame I think. Jewell maybe just (although in a list of about 8, he’d be number 20). 

Thanks for pointing that out to me, so we will change that to 15 years ago lol, your right I am getting old, been following the Rams since I was 7 back in 79, still love my Derby so much, been through some tough times, but it makes me appreciate the better times much more. 

20 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Yeovil.

2 down at half time thanks to the on loan gump, and having a half time pint being absolutely certain we'd still win the game!

That’s what I miss, we were invincible. One down against Blackpool at half time and still expecting four or five goals 

Undoubtedly Steve McClaren, and I was one of those who wanted to throw my season ticket in the bin when he was first appointed...what could have been if Newcastle had not appeared.

Jury is out beyond that. The snake managed to get results but the football was woeful and we were easily found out by the bigger teams.

Frank has promise  but, so far, doesn't seem to be learning from his early mistakes and his rotation and tinkering gives Benitez a run for his money.  I hope we can suddenly turn it around and everything slots into place, it doesn't need much

In ten years we dont exactly have a lot to choose from.

Clement and Rowett did ok, but played horrendous football, which was awful to watch.

The less said about Pearson the better.

That leaves McClaren, Clough and Lampard. McClaren wins that particular race by a country mile - both times he was here. Cliugh did a good job whilst he was here though and if Lamoard can get us playing most of a season like we played early on then he might be able to challenge McClaren  but nowhere near yet.

I remember watching Ipswich when they came ta BBG and George Burley wa manager... they were brilliant... I remember thinking at time he would be a decent manager.. Bit pants how it all ended..

Can anyone else remember when Swindon came with Glenn Hoddle playing as player manager??? Hoddle ruled that game.. 92?

Macca.

Used to love how we started like a house on fire. It was genuinely exciting pre-game because you know we were going to take it to teams at PP from the off, even if sometimes we didn't have much to show for it against teams that sat in. We were just a team. A really good team. No amazingly outstanding players (credit to Clough Jnr for getting the gang together) but a bunch of players that wanted to play together. I don't think we've seen that since. 

Every manager we've had since seems to have liked feeling our way into a game and hoping for a bit of luck or individual genius to win games. Rowett relied heavily on this. Clement too but his team played well as a team for 4 or 5 months before we looked a bit clueless. Pearson was a joke. Lamps is a mixture between Rowett and Clement. Likes the possession and control Clements team had but heavily relying on individual brilliance to win us games like Rowett did. 

Archived