Best manager in the last 10 years.

Derby blood

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

As I’ve said many times on here, Wassall did a decent job yet somehow gets pilloried because of ten bizarre minutes. Wouldn’t put him second on the list though as he had little long-term impact.

Don’t think you can really include non permanent managers- too little time to judge one way or another whether they’d have done a good job long term. I mean Chris Powell was about our only manager on two points a game??‍♂️

49 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

As I’ve said many times on here, Wassall did a decent job yet somehow gets pilloried because of ten bizarre minutes. Wouldn’t put him second on the list though as he had little long-term impact.

That's fair enough.

I'm just mardy at the minute with the team, so ranked them in order of smallest failures first.

Would have been great to see what Clough could have done with the money we've thrown at managers since. He is arguably the only manager who achieved his brief and yet obviously was still fired. His brief being slash costs and keep us on a reasonable keel playing wise. He was a victim of the club's circumstances.

4 hours ago, Derby blood said:

After a lot of moaning from some fans about our manager again. Who would be your best managers in the last 10 years?

number one would have to be Mac part one, for the excitement, he gave me to that 86 point season

number 2 Nigel Clough for sorting us out, wage bill, and getting us to be competative again, and some great wins over the red dogs and Leeds

number 3 Frank Lampard, could be my number one if he takes us up, bringing through some exciting players, also building a team for the future, given time I am sure he will bring success to Derby.

McClaren's first stint. The rest have all been rammel.

16 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Would have been great to see what Clough could have done with the money we've thrown at managers since. He is arguably the only manager who achieved his brief and yet obviously was still fired. His brief being slash costs and keep us on a reasonable keel playing wise. He was a victim of the club's circumstances.

He was sacked because Clough and Rush hated each other, he was sacked after the Forest defeat, when they both had a blazing argument, and Clough was right, Sam Rush was no football man, and the season he was sacked we had just started playing some great football, the 3-1 win away to Yeovil, when Bryson scored after a 26 pass move, a great win away to Millwall, 5-1 when Bryson got a great hat trick, but Rush wanted Clough to coach and players bought in by other sources not Clough and that was. when they fell out. 

2 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

He was sacked because Clough and Rush hated each other, he was sacked after the Forest defeat, when they both had a blazing argument, and Clough was right, Sam Rush was no football man, and the season he was sacked we had just started playing some great football, the 3-1 win away to Yeovil, when Bryson scored after a 26 pass move, a great win away to Millwall, 5-1 when Bryson got a great hat trick, but Rush wanted Clough to coach and players bought in by other sources not Clough and that was. when they fell out. 

You seem to have picked two of Clough's three wins there and ignored the four defeats which had left Derby 14th in the table.....

4 hours ago, Derby blood said:

After a lot of moaning from some fans about our manager again. Who would be your best managers in the last 10 years?

number one would have to be Mac part one, for the excitement, he gave me to that 86 point season

number 2 Nigel Clough for sorting us out, wage bill, and getting us to be competative again, and some great wins over the red dogs and Leeds

number 3 Frank Lampard, could be my number one if he takes us up, bringing through some exciting players, also building a team for the future, given time I am sure he will bring success to Derby.

mac easily.....obviously mac 1 was the most successful and mac 2 had his legs taken from underneath him for rowett when he needed another season to rectify the mess left by clement and pearson.

liked clough for his fantastic purchasing but he was too steady eddy to get anywhere with the great team he built up.

controversial my final choice but darren wassell did a great job with what he was left at the time and im not averse at all to him having the job full time after lamps goes to chelsea in the future..the under 23's play some great football and hes had several years to learn his craft. 

50 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

That goal against Yeovil was totally world class. It should have been the goal of the season in a canter.

Mac 1, Mac 2 and then Clough a distant 3rd.

I have not enjoyed football like I did under Maclaren first time round. I was proud of the way we played, loved the creativity that oozed from the team, the fact that 2/3 of our midfield were from our academy, and that on our day teams couldn’t handle us. 

I genuinely think that if Morris hadn’t ducked it up again by pulling the trigger on Mac 2 he would probably have gone on to build another good side and we’d all be enjoying the ride. 

Instead we are back to watching Clement- like performances from a team that chops and changes every game because our rookie manager is learning on the job. 

Those heady days of beating the Red Dogs 5-0 seem a long time ago now. 

Archived