Albentosa to Bolton

StapenhillRam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold up - wasn't the whole point that he couldn't settle in England?

Or maybe Albentosa thinks they are still sponsored by Reebok, so offering an endless supply of in house insoles. I believe they have their own branded range called the Reebok sole, or R-sole......

12 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Always felt he was a shining example of how not to do things as a club, and as was shown when he went back to Spain, he's nowhere near as bad as he played in a Derby shirt.

Was he actually so bad as some make out? I remember him being named as several people's motm early on, especially away at Norwich. He probably suffered more than most for our defensive frailties when injuries bit. The wardrobe was out, all three CDMs as well. The ball just always seemed to come back so quickly whenever we cleared our lines or a move broke down. He certainly wasn't a huge success, but I think circumstances and bad management of his situation from within the club made it worse.

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Hold up - wasn't the whole point that he couldn't settle in England?

Or maybe Albentosa thinks they are still sponsored by Reebok, so offering an endless supply of in house insoles. I believe they have their own branded range called the Reebok sole, or R-sole......

He told me that he had no problem in settling in England and that he wanted to stay and fight for a place, but Clement basically showed him the door.

12 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Was he actually so bad as some make out? I remember him being named as several people's motm early on, especially away at Norwich. He probably suffered more than most for our defensive frailties when injuries bit. The wardrobe was out, all three CDMs as well. The ball just always seemed to come back so quickly whenever we cleared our lines or a move broke down. He certainly wasn't a huge success, but I think circumstances and bad management of his situation from within the club made it worse.

I remember him a clogger.  A head it and kick it defender who really struggled with the passing game we played at the time.

If you want someone big to bully a centre forward and clear your lines, I reckon he could still be OK in this league.

But I think at least half the issue at the time was that he and his wife underestimated the culture change, and lack of family around them with a newborn.  Some people are stronger at that stuff than others. After a couple of months I got the feeling that he thought he had made a mistake and just wanted to get back to Spain. Right idea, wrong timing,

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I remember him a clogger.  A head it and kick it defender who really struggled with the passing game we played at the time.

If you want someone big to bully a centre forward and clear your lines, I reckon he could still be OK in this league.

But I think at least half the issue at the time was that he and his wife underestimated the culture change, and lack of family around them with a newborn.  Some people are stronger at that stuff than others. After a couple of months I got the feeling that he thought he had made a mistake and just wanted to get back to Spain. Right idea, wrong timing,

I honestly don't know where the story of him not settling came from. There were a couple of articles done by the club website and by the DET and in all of them he said how much he was enjoying his time there (yes, I know he wasn't going to say how ? he was feeling). If you looked on his Twitter he seemed to be loving his time in England. I don't doubt for a second that things were difficult when his son was born, but he was actually born in the close season and in Spain so shouldn't have had too much effect. When he returned it was Clement who decided that he should be sent out on loan.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Always felt he was a shining example of how not to do things as a club, and as was shown when he went back to Spain, he's nowhere near as bad as he played in a Derby shirt.

6”4, slow, head and kick it centre-half in a side wanting to keep a high-line and play from the back… 

The only thing I will say in defence of that deal is that he was almost too cheap to turn down, which is why we doubled our money, I suppose.

53 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

The Clement/Pearson period was like one of those delirious nightmares you have when you've got a fever, and wake up in a cold sweat, thinking 'Was that real or did I dream it?'

The Clement one was watching an efficient winning team turn to utter rubbish overnight, only fir Dazwaz and 'arry to revive the play off hopes. I've still not forgiven Ipswich for ending George Thorne.

The Pearson nightmare was taking the team that had fought back at Hull so well and decided "nope, rubbish, don't like that skill malarkey, kick n rush, the lesta way, hard running and more hard running, Jacob, your hard running and pace make you ideal for the wing in my 4-4-2" Just destroying everything that had made us charismatic and entertaining fof the three previous seasons with no sign of even a rowetty level dismal wins.

sorry, yeah, two separate nightmares for me, each pretty awful.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've still not forgiven Ipswich for ending George Thorne

Neither have we,I always thought it was a horrible challenge that finished him despite all the denials.

I wasn’t at the game but my brother was and I remember him ringing me in a combination of anger and tears telling me that Thorne’s career was over...horrible.

4 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Neither have we,I always thought it was a horrible challenge that finished him despite all the denials.

I wasn’t at the game but my brother was and I remember him ringing me in a combination of anger and tears telling me that Thorne’s career was over...horrible.

I was down that match, I remember feeling physically sick.

Archived