Albentosa to Bolton

StapenhillRam

He made 8 appearances for us. So we probably haven't seen enough to form an accurate opinion on his ability. The vast majority of players are capable of playing awful-average in their first 8 games at a new club. Or any batch of eight games, for that matter.

He was supposedly great for Eibar before us, and good for Malaga after us. Assume he was down the pecking order at Deportivo. 

That being said, I don't think his quality or lack there-of, whatever it may be, will be of any help to Bolton. They're in a right state at the moment and I fully expect them to be relegated. He'll probably do well in League One.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Alpha said:

I thought Mac signed him? 

Can't even remember much of him at all.

Correct, he was signed during the original Chris Evans era in Jan 2015.

Made his debut in the cup v Chesterfield as part of a back 3 with Keogh & Bucko (replaced at half time).

Played a few games during the 2014-15 end of season "collapse" (Bucko got injured) and left during the summer of 2015.

38 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He made 8 appearances for us. So we probably haven't seen enough to form an accurate opinion on his ability. The vast majority of players are capable of playing awful-average in their first 8 games at a new club. Or any batch of eight games, for that matter.

That’s 8 more games than most Derby fans make up their minds about a player!

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Is he a free agent?

I'm sure i saw something about him agreeing to end his contract early wherever he was, but couldnt find anything about it that wasnt in Spanish. (Google translate didnt really work) Either way he doesnt have a club at the moment.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Made his debut in the cup v Chesterfield as part of a back 3 with Keogh & Bucko (replaced at half time).

It was a strange half, that experiment didn't last long!

Keogh on the right of the 3 being caused all sorts of problems in the air by their 6 foot 4 striker Armand Gnanduillet while our new 6 foot 4 defender watched on from the middle, Christie absent further up the pitch as they got in behind us down our right on numerous occasions.

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I would assume that he was offered to several clubs and they were the only ones interested.

Thanks Rich. I think you miss my point though. Pretty sure there has been more than once recently when the players have not been paid.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No. Probably worse.

Was going to give you the rolled eyes, but 1: I don't like that as a response and 2: you are obviously entitled to your opinion. Personally I don't think he was sooo bad, and the small amount of games plus the circumstances around them for me make it difficult to judge him. It's similar to the Thorne situation. We all know how good he was, but in his few games last season we had some saying that the Messiah had returned and others that he wasn't worth his place.

9 hours ago, richinspain said:

Was he actually so bad as some make out? I remember him being named as several people's motm early on, especially away at Norwich. He probably suffered more than most for our defensive frailties when injuries bit. The wardrobe was out, all three CDMs as well. The ball just always seemed to come back so quickly whenever we cleared our lines or a move broke down. He certainly wasn't a huge success, but I think circumstances and bad management of his situation from within the club made it worse.

I hope he gets a good reception if he plays against us. 

norwich away he wasn't great but i really felt for him one game when he was sub. He came out at half time for a kick about and all the other subs totally blanked him and ignored him, playing their own private game away on the far touchline. 

24 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Was going to give you the rolled eyes, but 1: I don't like that as a response and 2: you are obviously entitled to your opinion. Personally I don't think he was sooo bad, and the small amount of games plus the circumstances around them for me make it difficult to judge him. It's similar to the Thorne situation. We all know how good he was, but in his few games last season we had some saying that the Messiah had returned and others that he wasn't worth his place.

He was awful for us.

Not saying he is a bad player, as he's obviously done well elsewhere.

Judging on what I saw when he played for us though he was a truly dreadful defender.

I'm not even judging that compared to other Derby players, his performances would have been dreadful at any level of professional football.

Wouldn't stop me giving him a decent reception because it was not down to a lack of effort or anything, he just never settled here.

Archived