Ipswich Town vs Derby County Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Ipswich Town vs Derby County

Wednesday 13th February

Portman Road

19.45 KO

So, after a comfortable win against Hull, the Rams travel to east anglia to play the team rooted to the bottom of the table. Today's (sunday) 3-0 defeat to local rivals and league toppers Norwich will have hurt no doubt, although the BBC write up did say that Ipswich at least tried.

So, will we see more from Old King and Cole, or will the improved performance of Bryson and Malone keep them in the team? Will Jack swing low or will Foghorn Waghorn continue to lead the line? Will Roos keep the shirt? Will Keogh contrive to undo his many good things with something comical?

Will we be composed, professional and comfortable, or will we suddenly remember DCFC don't do February and channel our Sunderland at home demonic cluster-rowett? Will Ipswich decide to rage against the dying of the light and try to respond to losing to Norwich with a moral boosting performance?

For the exiles, distance fans and those unable to travel, it's going to be on RamsTV, although for best results you might want to somehow link up the pictures with Ed and Craig's audio loveliness.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole 

Bryson Huddlestone 

Holmes Wilson Jozefzoon

Waghorn 

Subs: Carson, Wisdom, Malone, King, Johnson, Bennett, Nugent

I think Jozefzoon did well enough yesterday to keep his place ahead of Bennett, and Bryson can't be dropped after his performance either. Would like to see Wilson back in the middle as he had a poor game out wide yesterday, and i think Holmes seems better on the wing. Doubt he will start Cole but Malone was very frustrating to watch at times against Hull, his crosses were hitting the first man a lot. Would like to see us go 4-2-3-1, it looked to me like we swapped to it yesterday for most of the second half as Holmes seemed to behind Waghorn and Bryson further back. We played better after the change of shape imo. 

Having said all of that... after a 2-0 comfortable win i expect, and wouldn't be saddened by, Lampard to play the same team.

Ipswich did try today but that's really the least you expect from a local derby. Despite having more possession & more shots at Carrow Road this season ('other than Derby') they didn't really lay a glove on Norwich. Probably a good time to play them as confidence will be low after a 0-3 defeat despite playing pretty well (by their standards).

Assuming Lawrence is still out, I'd keep an unchanged XI. I'd like to see King feature at some point but I doubt he's matchfit enough to start. Interested to see if consecutive games & a low profile midweek away fixture enables FloJo to show us a bit more of his Brentford form.

Tough game. The tractor boys will be fighting for their lives. We're playing Wednesday Saturday Wednesday Monday and they're all huge games, so we need to use the whole squad, but I suspect the majority of changes will come at the weekend.

Before, after the running Bryson did against Saints, Frank rested him from the team. I think Lampard will do that again and bring King in for Bryson, with Evans coming onto the bench. Cole will play one of Ipswich and Brighton. I think Frank will use him against Brighton (with Bryson coming back in then). Josefzoon is clearly doing well in training, but not quite translating it into matches. Perhaps he needs a run of games? Jack Marriott's absence is a bit ominous. I got the feeling Frank was saying Jack needs to play through the pain. Maybe he'll make the bench. It seemed as though Carson, Mount and Lawrence are still struggling.

Roos

Bogle     Keogh     Tomori     Malone

Huddlestone

King       Holmes

Wilson       Waghorn       Josefzoon

Subs: Ravas Cole Evans Johnson Bennett Nugent Marriott

Can't keep playing with ten men by having Jozefzoon in the team. At least Bennett will give you an aerial out ball.

So if no one back fit then Bennett (who I've criticised him a lot which says how bad Jozefzoon is!) and King (for Bryson) to come in.

Be great if Jack can make the bench. My worry with Cole and Bogle is just how small we are at the full back area. They won't win any headers!

Today was a false score.    Ok I got no dispute in them winning but by three clear goals ?  Sorry that simply wasn't a fair reflection.    Bottom line was, they got attacking players that are more efficient than ourselves but that scoreline would have flattered them and no mistake.  Even on rival pages such as The Pink Un many were honest enough to admit they achieved something that wasn't entirely deserving.     The Lambert tussle and dismissal offered some light relief but as yet no clue as to what was said to produce such reaction.

Anyhow enough about them.   ?      I'd expect Derby to visit midweek and take something away.   Portman Road is an awkward venue for most visiting teams given the location but something that doesn't seem to go in our favor.     I admire Frankie Lampard for what he's building at your club.    Many were skeptical when first appointed but fair play he's doing an admirable job.

You need a victory to keep in touch of a play-off opportunity, we ourselves must realize the situation can't be salvaged and we are a third league club side just playing out games that are ultimately immaterial.     There requires a complete overhaul in the summer and Marcus Evans must go first and foremost.    Sure some of the new kids that have come in since August are still to find their feet but how long is it going to take to put together a squad that can play as an effective unit.     Many still insist Lambert is something of a savior or worthy to be held in high regard but I think they're often deluding themselves.    It's not working for us, why can't some see that.  ?

Speak again nearer game time, wouldn't worry too much.   May be a long trip (for those traveling) but are we really going to take three points off you ?   In so many words, it would seem unlikely.  

I like Jozefzoon. He's a technical player, who has fell victim to sporadic playing time which is incredibly difficult for a winger. I don't think he'll be starting against Ipswich, it's not the right type of game for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett get the nod for this game: Roos, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Huddlestone, Holmes, King, Wilson, Bennett, Waghorn. 

Roos

Bogle      Keogh     Tomori      Malone

Huddlestone

King                   Holmes

Wilson           Waghorn           Jozefzoon

No point changing a winning side, leave that to the FA Cup. Roos is deservent of his place in the side 3 clean sheets in a row and we haven't lost a game with him in goal. Bogle was quality again Saturday and maybe a week off did him good. Huddlestone to remain in the side as his passing and vision help us dictate play. King to come in for Bryson who may need a rest. Waghorn to play centrally again and Zoon to start, yes he was OK at best Saturday but lets give him another chance.

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

Roos

Bogle      Keogh     Tomori      Malone

Huddlestone

King                   Holmes

Wilson           Waghorn           Jozefzoon

No point changing a winning side, leave that to the FA Cup. Roos is deservent of his place in the side 3 clean sheets in a row and we haven't lost a game with him in goal. Bogle was quality again Saturday and maybe a week off did him good. Huddlestone to remain in the side as his passing and vision help us dictate play. King to come in for Bryson who may need a rest. Waghorn to play centrally again and Zoon to start, yes he was OK at best Saturday but lets give him another chance.

You say no point in changing a winning side then promptly change it. Bryson did the job expected of him on Saturday and certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped, or 'rested' if you prefer to call it.

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You say no point in changing a winning side then promptly change it. Bryson did the job expected of him on Saturday and certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped, or 'rested' if you prefer to call it.

Tbf King has been brought in to play, I imagine he is best in Bryson's role, against bottom of the league is a good game to get him going in the championship... id also like to see Cole come in but I don't think he has been brought into play week in week out like King has.

Archived