Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18/19 - 1 goal and 3 assists in 682 mins (equivalent to 6 goals in a 46 game season).

14/15 to 17/18 - 100 mins spread over 7 games in 4 seasons.

13/14 - 1 goal in 272 mins spread over 13 games as a 17 year old.

12/13 - 118 mins spread over 6 games as a 16 year old.

11/12 - 266 mins spread over 9 games as a 15 year old.

Do you honestly believe you're being fair?

Yep I do. 100 appearances and not into double figures...that’s all you need to know. 

Also, what was his goal to game ratio when he was out on loan in the lower leagues....? Again, rubbish 

its a shame, I would love him to be the next Bobby Davison but he just isn’t good enough. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great player to have in the squad. Physical, fast , positive, always gives his all

Always looks dangerous and causes problems whenever he comes on 

Still young so plenty of time to keep developing

Once the goals come it will all click  into place 

Strong character who has had to deal with an awful lot of adversity in his time - and yet has battled back repeatedly to  put himself in probably his best situation in his career to date . 

Cant see that we can buy better in the market for less than £3m

Fact that he is a Derby lad is nice but incidental - he fully deserves to be part of the first team squad 

42 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

He’s American now, unless it has the words “go rams go, go rams go” over and over again, then it’s considered a poo chant ?

If I was American with their obsession with sports stats then I would definitely have dumped off Bennett with the stats that he has..! 

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18/19 - 1 goal and 3 assists in 682 mins (equivalent to 6 goals in a 46 game season).

14/15 to 17/18 - 100 mins spread over 7 games in 4 seasons.

13/14 - 1 goal in 272 mins spread over 13 games as a 17 year old.

12/13 - 118 mins spread over 6 games as a 16 year old.

11/12 - 266 mins spread over 9 games as a 15 year old.

Do you honestly believe you're being fair?

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Mason had scored instead of unluckily hitting the bar as a 15 year old making his debut at Boro away. 3 inches lower and his confidence would have sky rocketed.

Wasn't/Isn't he also the youngest ever Derby scorer in the FA Cup?

The lad still has a chance.

I'd honestly love to see him at the Pirelli next season if you boys don't fancy him anymore.

12 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep I do. 100 appearances and not into double figures...that’s all you need to know. 

Also, what was his goal to game ratio when he was out on loan in the lower leagues....? Again, rubbish 

its a shame, I would love him to be the next Bobby Davison but he just isn’t good enough. 

I think you are being a tad unfair, he's played the equivalent of 16 x 90-minute games for DCFC - like EVER... and how much of that was not stuck out on the wing..? I think the fair answer is, he hasn't had enough game time to say.

I wouldn't start him, simply because we have better options. Nevertheless, it's not to say that he can't do a job at this level. He has improved a lot recently; he's not as erratic on the ball as he once was and his making better decisions more frequently. I wouldn't say he's still outstanding, but I would say out of those 100 appearances for Derby that 80% of them was from the bench, often with a handful of minutes remaining. 

I do ultimately expect Bennett to leave Derby for a smaller club. I'm in no doubt of that. I think Thomas will replace him in the matchday squad next season. 

22 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Mason had scored instead of unluckily hitting the bar as a 15 year old making his debut at Boro away. 3 inches lower and his confidence would have sky rocketed.

Wasn't/Isn't he also the youngest ever Derby scorer in the FA Cup?

The lad still has a chance.

I'd honestly love to see him at the Pirelli next season if you boys don't fancy him anymore.

Always thought that. Football is about very fine margins and sometimes incredibly cruel. If only it had gone in on his debut. I remember seeing him at Pride Park later that season and whenever a Derby player got the ball they looked to pass it to young Mason because they all clearly thought he was something really special.

I still feel if he bagged a couple of goals one game, or scored for two or three games in a row, he might become an unstoppable force.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

On the topic of the poll, isn't 'Impact sub' just a sub-category of 'no'? Those that voted 'impact sub' are, in essence, voting 'no', aren't they?

The poll is asymmetrical.

Not really, a football team now consists of 14 players who take the field each game. Some players start but rarely finish a game and some are more suited to coming on and making an impact or to see out a game towards the end. 

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Not really, a football team now consists of 14 players who take the field each game. Some players start but rarely finish a game and some are more suited to coming on and making an impact or to see out a game towards the end. 

I understand the concept of football but thanks for the clarification. Those that would have Mason as an impact sub would, necessarily, not have him starting. The question in binary, the choice of answers is not. 

The poll is essentially 22.7% 'yes' and 77.3% 'no'.

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I understand the concept of football but thanks for the clarification. Those that would have Mason as an impact sub would, necessarily, not have him starting. The question in binary, the choice of answers is not. 

The poll is essentially 22.7% 'yes' and 77.3% 'no'.

No. Closer to....

Is he a first choice pick = Yes

Is he a decent squad player / occasional starter = Impact sub

Is he not even worth a place in the squad = No

40 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't start him, simply because we have better options. Nevertheless, it's not to say that he can't do a job at this level. He has improved a lot recently; he's not as erratic on the ball as he once was and his making better decisions more frequently. I wouldn't say he's still outstanding, but I would say out of those 100 appearances for Derby that 80% of them was from the bench, often with a handful of minutes remaining. 

I do ultimately expect Bennett to leave Derby for a smaller club. I'm in no doubt of that. I think Thomas will replace him in the matchday squad next season. 

I’m not debating your wrong on him leaving for a smaller club, however based on what ?

There are plenty examples of strikers that don’t consistently hit their peak until their latter years, let’s take our very own Jack as an example, loaned out to several clubs and it wasn’t until he settled at Luton did his stats look anything but pretty dire. Chris Martin is another one, plenty on here wrote him off as an understudy to Sammon at the time, based upon seeing him during his initial loan spell.

For me he doesn’t quite cut it, but only a fool would write him off this early in his career.

I like his aggression and physicality. You wouldn’t want him running at you would you ? 

he has skill and ability but maybe will never quite be a polished flawless gem.

i don’t think he has a great touch but against certain sides he is a very effective blunt instrument and he isn’t at all mardy. A great team player to have in the trenches. 

Is he related to Mason Bennett ? They are quite similar in style. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

I like his aggression and physicality. You wouldn’t want him running at you would you ? 

he has skill and ability but maybe will never quite be a polished flawless gem.

i don’t think he has a great touch but against certain sides he is a very effective blunt instrument and he isn’t at all mardy. A great team player to have in the trenches. 

Is he related to Mason Bennett ? They are quite similar in style. 

I would counter this and say he doesn't use his physicality enough. He looks a very strong player and could really use his size to affect but rarely does. He should bully players more, he's quite tippy tappy for his physique IMO.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

I’m not debating your wrong on him leaving for a smaller club, however based on what ?

There are plenty examples of strikers that don’t consistently hit their peak until their latter years, let’s take our very own Jack as an example, loaned out to several clubs and it wasn’t until he settled at Luton did his stats look anything but pretty dire. Chris Martin is another one, plenty on here wrote him off as an understudy to Sammon at the time, based upon seeing him during his initial loan spell.

For me he doesn’t quite cut it, but only a fool would write him off this early in his career.

I'm not writing him off, far from it in fact. I like him. I just believe that once he leaves Derby it will be for a smaller club, not necessarily in a lower division, but a smaller Championship club certainly. I have no doubts that he may peak eventually and become the player he once threatened he could become. I just meant his next move, not his career.  

Archived