Executive Chairman Mel Morris, CBE speaks.

Rev

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Not long ago, people were moaning about the academy, citing the running costs and asking why we needed to be Category 1. I notice that they have shut up now the tree is seen to be bearing fruit.

I can't remember this, can you find evidence?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Frank is knitting the whole club together, not just the first team. We all need to realise this and fully support the club in what is happening. 

If we can keep Frank and his team for 5+ years, the club will be the best it ever has been. 

Better than the first half of the seventies??

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Dislike is a very strong word.

As I've said previously the path to hell is paved with good intention.

I prefer "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"

And there is your William Blake quote for the day, y're welcome....

39 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Frank is knitting the whole club together, not just the first team. We all need to realise this and fully support the club in what is happening. 

If we can keep Frank and his team for 5+ years, the club will be the best it ever has been. 

I doubt we will be allowed to loan Tomori, Wilson and Mount for 5+ years!

On 25/01/2019 at 22:06, angieram said:

I'm pleased he acknowledged what a big outlay our season ticket is for most of us. 

Watching the "let me be one of the first eleven!" brigade jostling for position on social media annoys me. I hope such people are grateful they can afford to renew first day without a second thought. 

I will have my money together before the deadline, but it's a big outlay and I have to decide what I can do without to keep going home and away.

Back on topic, I enjoyed the interview and am always impressed with Mel's communication. I am sorry some dislike him so much; I think he always has our club at heart.

Good points angieram. I do think Mel has the club at heart and has proven that with massive financial support. I don't understand how fans could be disappointed with MM, but expect a lot is tongue in cheek. On the flip side, considering DCFC's well documented roller coaster of turmoil in the boardroom, we perhaps shouldn't get too cosy with any owner / chairman. MM is a very clever businessman, so when we do achieve success on the pitch and a wealthy Chinese investor offers big money, I guess Mel would cash in. Not a criticism, just an observation of current trends in top flight english football. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

Good points angieram. I do think Mel has the club at heart and has proven that with massive financial support. I don't understand how fans could be disappointed with MM, but expect a lot is tongue in cheek. On the flip side, considering DCFC's well documented roller coaster of turmoil in the boardroom, we perhaps shouldn't get too cosy with any owner / chairman. MM is a very clever businessman, so when we do achieve success on the pitch and a wealthy Chinese investor offers big money, I guess Mel would cash in. Not a criticism, just an observation of current trends in top flight english football. 

I don't disagree with our need for a rich overseas investor in the long term but it will hopefully happen with the club in a good position because of Mel.

I would like nothing more than for us to get promoted and create a sustainable future in the Premier League owned by Mel. However people tell me that will never be possible. I don't know enough about football finances to disagree. 

In the meantime, I will enjoy that our owner is one of us and always stops for a chat whenever he sees us on the road or around Pride Park. To do that with the number of fans we have is pretty impressive, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, froggg said:

Better than the first half of the seventies??

Even though we had our greatest success then, the club itself was fractured and very disjointed.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I don't disagree with our need for a rich overseas investor in the long term but it will hopefully happen with the club in a good position because of Mel.

I would like nothing more than for us to get promoted and create a sustainable future in the Premier League owned by Mel. However people tell me that will never be possible. I don't know enough about football finances to disagree. 

In the meantime, I will enjoy that our owner is one of us and always stops for a chat whenever he sees us on the road or around Pride Park. To do that with the number of fans we have is pretty impressive, in my opinion.

Whilst I normally agree with all of your postings, I must take exception to the assumption that we need  foreign investment in the club.

Has the self esteem of the UK as a nation and a city like Derby descended so low that DCFC, a locally fan owned club  wants to be sold by its fans to become a trophy possession of a foreign oligarch.

Every English football club that has pimped its self to a foreign owner, will in the fullness of time regret the sugar rush of the initial investment and fade into obscurity as the realisation of the foreign owners that a football club is forever not just as a fashion accessory.

10 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Whilst I normally agree with all of your postings, I must take exception to the assumption that we need  foreign investment in the club.

Has the self esteem of the UK as a nation and a city like Derby descended so low that DCFC, a locally fan owned club  wants to be sold by its fans to become a trophy possession of a foreign oligarch.

Every English football club that has pimped its self to a foreign owner, will in the fullness of time regret the sugar rush of the initial investment and fade into obscurity as the realisation of the foreign owners that a football club is forever not just as a fashion accessory.

Man City? Man Utd? Chelsea? Arsenal? Etc etc 

I get your point but they’ve won plenty of trophies and unlikely to fade. 

1 minute ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Man City? Man Utd? Chelsea? Arsenal? Etc etc 

I get your point but they’ve won plenty of trophies and unlikely to fade. 

who are etc, etc......

The clubs you mention by name are in cities with populations of many millions, Derby has a population of about 250k.

Finally I remember Man City and Man utd in the old second division and currently Man City are in deep trouble with EUEFA and facing enormous fines/sanctions because of foreign investment and Man utd have more debt than a small african country,  nothing lasts forever.

20 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

who are etc, etc......

The clubs you mention by name are in cities with populations of many millions, Derby has a population of about 250k.

Finally I remember Man City and Man utd in the old second division and currently Man City are in deep trouble with EUEFA and facing enormous fines/sanctions because of foreign investment and Man utd have more debt than a small african country,  nothing lasts forever.

‘Every English football club that has pimped its self to a foreign owner, will in the fullness of time regret the sugar rush of the initial investment and fade into obscurity’

That’s probably not true.

Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal have all won trophies - that’s the point. If some of those teams have had a ‘slump’ in their history, that’s great, as they’re back and winning more trophies.

I think Derby being a little town is irrelevant in this case. 

Etc etc is just a semantic habit of mine but you could list Liverpool or Leicester if required ?

Archived