Has Lampard been as excellent as many people suggest?

Sexydadbod

FL has been given very positive press throughout his career, and his arrival at PP reflected that. Obviously as a rooky manager he can't live up to the expectations. He is probably just about now, coming to terms with the reality of championship football at a club like Dcfc, and the circumstances which have led to more than 10yrs outside the top flight. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It just feels like De ja vu and I hate that we have become bottlers every season,  hopefully we can beat Reading to get back on track but we really don't look like a good team at the moment apart from in 15 minute spells.

Fair enough, i read your comments as probably a bit overly negative based on what I've seen of the team so far (granted I'm more of a distance fan) and thought perhaps the stinker vs Leeds just had everyone in a bad mood about it.

But yeah, being "Spursy" is not an compliment!

11 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I like Frank and I hated Rowett this relates to Rowetts demeanor as well as his dire football, although as stated above his points total speaks for itself.

One thing that I do find a bit perplexing I was watching Frank closely as we were just to the right and behind the technical areas on Friday night ,I would expect him to be a lot more animated watching us play like that.Small point but he does seem a little too laid back at times .  

Hes a chelsea man at heart and always will be.

8 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It makes me think what was the point in even buying Waghorn?, he has played a key part in big games yet Lampard seems to have little faith in him and has mostly played him out of position on the wing when he is clearly a striker.

Which big games did he play a key part in again??

I find that we are too reliant on individual moments of brilliant play to score our goals. We are are creating very little in the way of chances. Our earlier good play has turned into too much hoofing the ball forward for Marriott to compete with 6' 3" defenders. Our midfield has no balance and the defence is a disorganised mess. Even our previously reliable goalkeeper has taken a tumble in form. The players he has brought in permanently with the exception of Marriott are not impressing, although Holmes has put in a couple of half decent performances. He has only had one window but his success rate in the transfer market todate does not fill me with confidence. I think he needs to up his game big time. Apart from that I am really satisfied with what he has shown up to now.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Fulham signed Mitrovic last January which you could argue was the difference between mid table and promotion. Get it right in Jan and it can make the difference.

Very good point. I feel one really exceptional centre mid (no idea who mind) could make a huge difference for us at this point, I hope we can fund for an extra player in that area as I feel it's our main weakness.

3 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It is for a team with ambitions of finishing in the top 6, over a season you would finish 20th with that sort of record.  Yes we have had some hard games, but when we can't even beat Rotherham, Bolton  or Millwall there is pressure on every game to get points on the board as there is clearly no easy games for us. We won't finish 6th if we carry on  relying on just a couple of players for goals and giving poo goals away in  nearly every game we play.

But it's not over a season, which is why we are currently sixth. This blip could have been/be significantly worse. We've literally been a chance away, in multiple games, from having another 10 or so points in the last 8 or so games. 

3 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It is for a team with ambitions of finishing in the top 6, over a season you would finish 20th with that sort of record.  Yes we have had some hard games, but when we can't even beat Rotherham, Bolton  or Millwall there is pressure on every game to get points on the board as there is clearly no easy games for us. We won't finish 6th if we carry on  relying on just a couple of players for goals and giving poo goals away in  nearly every game we play.

|Don't be too negative, we have the easiest remaining games out of the top 6 teams. We will get players back from injury, possible new players in before the window shuts. Our annual falling away in the promotion race will come to an end this year. Once we get knocked out of the cup, we can concentrate on the league. If we don't make 2nd spot, then its the play offs for us. Which could be against Norwich who we have'nt lost to, Sheff utd won and lost, WBA smashed them already. Or M'boro which we drew against both times when we were the better team, especially at their place.   Come on DNA

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

No I’m not calling for Lampard out. I’m intrigued to see people’s views on Lampard as our manager so far. I keep hearing by many former players and pundits about what an excellent job Lampard has done here so far. I’m really struggling to see what has been so excellent about it? We are up and around the play offs like we have been for the last 5 or so years, yet under some of our previous managers, pundits have said that we should be there anyway with the money we have spent. Are they overrating Lampard? 

At this stage last season under the “defensive Rowett” we had scored:  44 goals, conceded 23,Goal difference of +  21, 52 points

In contast to this season under the “free flowing Lampard” we have scored 38 , conceded 34, goal difference of +4, 43 points, make your own mind up on those stats.

Of Lampard’s permanent signings, in my view, only Marriott(who was recommended by Terry) can be seen to be a success, although Holmes is slowly coming into his own and looks good.

In my opinion the season can be broken down as this(note performances not the actual results):

Some excellent performances: West Brom(a), Chelsea(a), Man Utd(a), Hull(cup a), Middlesbrough(first half a)

Some Good performances: Brentford(H), Norwich(a), Sheff Utd(H), Southampton(H)

A lot of average performances: Ipswich(H), Reading(A), Middlesbrough(h), Bristol City(h), sheff wed(a), Birmingham(h), Hull(a), preston(h), millwall(a).

A few terrible performances: Leeds(h+a), Sheff Utd(a), Stoke(a), Bolton(a), Rotherham(a), Aston villa(h)

As you can see, a lot of inconsistently. For me, I struggle to see what direction we are going with our footballing style. Lampard has spoken a lot about liking high intensity, pressing like under McClaren and to be fair, on the odd occasion when we do play that like West Brom away, we are irresistible at times. However, in the vast majority of the games, we often keep possession just for the sake of keeping possession akin to Clement and pass the ball at the back. Alternatively, if that doesn’t work, we resort to a lot of hoof ball to Marriott like in the last few weeks. Last point is that like last season with Vydra, we rely on a lot of individual quality to get goals like Wilson, which isn’t sustainable .

Overall, in my view, Lampard hasn’t been  very good or poor, probably somewhere in the middle but to go as far as excellent for getting us in the play offs so far? I’m struggling to see it.

I was looking at these stats myself and started asking myself the same questions.

There's quite a difference.... worryingly so.....

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

To me, he looks tired.

It might sound daft, but it's his first management job, he's had to move house, get to grips with a new working environment, and to top it off there's a new baby in the house. 

All stressful things in themselves, combine them together and it must be tough going, especially as it seems he never stops thinking about football.

He seems a bit snappy with Chris Coles in his interviews recently too, and he's the least idiotic of the RD team.

To be honest he’s very often snappy in interviews when anyone dares to ask him why he played a certain player, or left out another etc. Doesn’t take the pressure well in my view. Maybe he will learn to in time.....

No one is questioning that it’s his decision as manager, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask, on behalf of the fans, what his thinking was....

Rather a ‘ I know best, how dare u question me’ attitude....

11 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I 'd say so far he has been bang average 6 out of 10 , nothing bad enough to call him out but not good enough to sing his praises either by any means.  The summer singings have been indifferent and the performances horribly inconsistent, you can clearly see it is not his team yet as we clearly lack the midfield to play to his philosophy.  If we finish 6th and loose in the play offs I wouldn't class that as a good season as that is what we do every year, at the same time that would be a satisfactory outcome that shouldn't be complained about too much as that is what is a realistic expectation for this squad. If we finish outside the top 6 that would be poor Imo , with less than 10th a sackable position for the funds he has been given and the loans we have brought in. Personally, I reckon if we don't buy anybody we will, finish 8th which would mean a disappointing season in my book considering the loans we have got in and how crap we will be next season without significant investment as the loans will expire and many contracts will run out so we will be in FFP trouble and will have to sell to buy, with a limited amount  of assets to stabilize our balance books after the absolute screw ups made by previous managers.  Obviously we have had some great performances, but if you judge it on the whole apart from him being more likeable he has not done any better than Rowett or Clement at the same stage in the season , and I am not convinced in the quality of the likes of Lowe, Bennett, and Bogle, even though it is good we are trying to bring through youth players I  wouldn't do it at the expense of results. 

So a play off slot after a net spend of under £1 million whilst trying to reduce headcount, completely change our style of play and introduce youth which we were all clamoring for is bang average? In your first job, let's hope your boss doesn't expect you to be better than the guys who have 10 years or more experience in the field, eh! Can you also explain how next season we'll be in FFP trouble as Mel has clearly got it wrong when he's said FFP is not an issue. Would also be keen to understand how 6th out of 23 would constitute 'bang average' as I'd have thought the 'bang average would be 13th by your reckoning. Absolutely get your point about the kids who've just turned 18 not being bang up to scratch though. Mad, innit! After all, we've loads of fullbacks better than Lowe and Bogle.

18 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So a play off slot after a net spend of under £1 million whilst trying to reduce headcount, completely change our style of play and introduce youth which we were all clamoring for is bang average? In your first job, let's hope your boss doesn't expect you to be better than the guys who have 10 years or more experience in the field, eh! Can you also explain how next season we'll be in FFP trouble as Mel has clearly got it wrong when he's said FFP is not an issue. Would also be keen to understand how 6th out of 23 would constitute 'bang average' as I'd have thought the 'bang average would be 13th by your reckoning. Absolutely get your point about the kids who've just turned 18 not being bang up to scratch though. Mad, innit! After all, we've loads of fullbacks better than Lowe and Bogle.

For me 6th and loosing in the playoffs is an average season, based off it would be identical to last season, maybe I expect too much and that is why I get disappointed, but at the start of the season I had hopes of atleast pushing hard for 2nd and being around 3r or 4th.  On the FFP bit, I have heard a lot of people on here saying we will be in trouble when the contracts of players like Nugent and Johnson expire, becuase of the FFP loss we will take on them. Hopefully that is a load of BS and we will be able to spend big in the summer to transform the collection of players we have into a proper team  that can play Lampard football. 

22 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

For me 6th and loosing in the playoffs is an average season, based off it would be identical to last season, maybe I expect too much and that is why I get disappointed, but at the start of the season I had hopes of atleast pushing hard for 2nd and being around 3r or 4th.  On the FFP bit, I have heard a lot of people on here saying we will be in trouble when the contracts of players like Nugent and Johnson expire, becuase of the FFP loss we will take on them. Hopefully that is a load of BS and we will be able to spend big in the summer to transform the collection of players we have into a proper team  that can play Lampard football. 

Fair play mate. Like you, my expectations were out of kilter with reality. To expect Lamps to come in, reduce the average age of the squad, shed the nerdowells, transform our playing style and secure an auto-slot where Mac, Clement, Wassall, Powell, Pearson and Rowett have failed and in his first season to boot, might have been a tad fanciful. That said, it's still not beyond the realms is it? As for FFP, best to ignore the 'experts' claiming we are teetering on the edge of oblivion and listen to the owner who says otherwise. Who is more likely to know after all? Frank's a novice despite everything he achieved as a player after all.  If we are still in this position after another summer window then yes, there will be questions needing answers. Patience is not one of my virtues but we have to allow him two summer windows to put together a team that is truly his own. If he'd have turned us around in a single window it would have been a miracle if only because far more experienced managers than him have tried and failed. Keep the faith. If this is not our season I've a strong feeling the next one might be. 

17 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Hopefully that is a load of BS and we will be able to spend big in the summer to transform the collection of players we have into a proper team  that can play Lampard football. 

The only 'big' spend by FL so far is Waghorn and that's looking an odd one atm. How much should Mel give him?! ?

Archived