Nuwtfly

David Nugent

38 minutes ago, rynny said:

For a chap who seems to think he knows about football you'd think Nixon would know that generally when a player is 33 and approaching the end of his contract he will consider a LOWER wage than he's currently on... Can't imagine Nuge is strapped for cash so the enticement of a couple more years at a decent level at a club he has a history with would be enough to play for - He's never struck me as a mercenary

When we signed Darren Bent he was 31 and I'm pretty sure we didn't pay him the reported £65k per week he was on at Villa...

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

For a chap who seems to think he knows about football you'd think Nixon would know that generally when a player is 33 and approaching the end of his contract he will consider a LOWER wage than he's currently on... Can't imagine Nuge is strapped for cash so the enticement of a couple more years at a decent level at a club he has a history with would be enough to play for - He's never struck me as a mercenary

When we signed Darren Bent he was 31 and I'm pretty sure we didn't pay him the reported £65k per week he was on at Villa...

Speculation at the time was around 25k per week for Bent.

Alan Nixon doesn’t half talk some balls, does he honestly think Nugent will demand the same wages he had when he joined us 2 years ago? And regardless I didn’t think Pompey were impoverished anymore, aren’t they owned by some American bloke to do with Disney? In their position I’d think they might throw around a bit more money on short term deals especially.

I don't see Nugent leaving this window, personally. Nugent still offers us something, which means he'll need to be bought - doubt Portsmouth will pick that tab up. 

I can see this happening in the summer once he's left. 

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Alan Nixon doesn’t half talk some balls, does he honestly think Nugent will demand the same wages he had when he joined us 2 years ago? And regardless I didn’t think Pompey were impoverished anymore, aren’t they owned by some American bloke to do with Disney? In their position I’d think they might throw around a bit more money on short term deals especially.

853E8777-D7E9-4027-A2C5-96F55C559A94.gif

I would like to think we would only let Nugent go if we have someone else lined up, we have previously been linked with Piazon, maybe a loan deal is still a possibility for him? He can play wide & through the middle.

31 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I would keep him I do not see the point in letting him go, he is a positive influence on and off the field 

I suspect we are looking like breaching FFP quite a bit this year (on wages alone we would have breached last year if it wasn't for net inflow of transfer fee income and we have transfer value wrtie-downs this year too)

I suspect we are trying to severely curtail the wage bill and hoping to get a more lenient punishment (i.e. not start next year with a points reduction but maybe just a transfer embargo)

13 hours ago, Gritty said:

I suspect we are looking like breaching FFP quite a bit this year (on wages alone we would have breached last year if it wasn't for net inflow of transfer fee income and we have transfer value wrtie-downs this year too)

I suspect we are trying to severely curtail the wage bill and hoping to get a more lenient punishment (i.e. not start next year with a points reduction but maybe just a transfer embargo)

Yes, you are right I fear. And it's probably because we couldn't offload any of the high earners in the Summer. Remember the special friendly that was set up to showcase Thorne, Butterfield etc.? But no takers. 

We may find ourselves offering new reduced contracts to the likes of Johnson and Butterfield to stage off the big FFP loss. Similar to the way we did for Robbie Savage. 

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Yes, you are right I fear. And it's probably because we couldn't offload any of the high earners in the Summer. Remember the special friendly that was set up to showcase Thorne, Butterfield etc.? But no takers. 

We may find ourselves offering new reduced contracts to the likes of Johnson and Butterfield to stage off the big FFP loss. Similar to the way we did for Robbie Savage. 

I've not checked so I could be wrong, but Robbie Savage was surely pre FFP. Savage was just a good player for us when we had a lower end of the championship side and clearly Nigel Clough rated him as Savage did say Clough saved his career.