David Nugent

Nuwtfly

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Gritty said:

Not individual but the accounts show total write downs. And very little was written down.   Follow Kieran Maguire on twitter. He is a football finance expert and analysed our accounts

That'd be a silly thing to do. It risks taking massive losses on players in the last year of their contracts, with making a huge profit on a transfer or two the only way of offsetting it. 

I can't believe the club would be so daft. That said, loaning out our third choice centre back does look a bit desperate until we sign a replacement. The one helpful thing is that we get a few weeks at the end of the season  to flog players to redress the balance. Also, FA cup ties at PL grounds don't hurt. 

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

That'd be a silly thing to do. It risks taking massive losses on players in the last year of their contracts, with making a huge profit on a transfer or two the only way of offsetting it. 

I can't believe the club would be so daft. That said, loaning out our third choice centre back does look a bit desperate until we sign a replacement. The one helpful thing is that we get a few weeks at the end of the season  to flog players to redress the balance. Also, FA cup ties at PL grounds don't hurt. 

This method we use to value players isn't speculation.  It's fact.  It's in the accounts. It's highly unusual. It's also well known.  It's not a matter of 'belief'

Now whether the impact of it is enough to cause an FFP problem is not known.  That is speculation.  I speculate that it is causing a severe problem which is why we are desperate to off load and why FL says any ins at all are very difficult. 

8 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Yes the games against ManU and Chelsea probably bought in a million quid we didn't expect. Maybe another 250k for the TV game against Saints. 

To put it in perspective though... That'll pro ay cover the wages for Butterfield and Anya for 6 months. 

Yer, well we had a bunch of FFP 'experts' saying the same things last summer, as I recall. My feeling is that if Mel is saying FFP is not an issue then it's not. That has always been his stance and that's good enough for me. If it were so simple to look at our accounts and establish that we're on the brink of sanctions, I seriously doubt he'd suggest otherwise given our accounts are in the public domain. What Mel has said is that prior to 2020, he wants to reduce OPEX significantly and the bulk of that figures comprises of player wages. With this in mind, the most likely scenario is that without 'outs' this window, we'll not see many 'ins' which is a long way from predictions of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I'd also suggest that if we do have significant funds to spend right now that the last thing we'd do is broadcast the fact to the world and his brother. That'd be plain daft for reasons so obvious I can't be bothered to explain them - again! 

If Nugent was to be sold would you bring back Chris Martin as Hull are the ones to watch out for and Martin is now starting?

I think the club is playing it's cards close to it's chest as we've had our fingers burnt numerous times which may well be taking us close to ffp , i don't think MM and SP would let this happen.

15 minutes ago, falconram said:

If Nugent was to be sold would you bring back Chris Martin as Hull are the ones to watch out for and Martin is now starting?

I think the club is playing it's cards close to it's chest as we've had our fingers burnt numerous times which may well be taking us close to ffp , i don't think MM and SP would let this happen.

I’d bring him back anyway especially if we can’t afford additions 

If I were Chris Martin, having made his way into the Hull team now, I'd tell Derby to go whistle if they tried to bring me back early, unless it was for a permanent move.

He'll make no more of the filth we've served up Marriott recently, in fact he'd probably make less of it seeing as he's not going to run the channels relentlessly all game.

He used to gather in decent balls around the half way line, played from the back four, who always knew roughly where he'd be, lay it off and join in the attack after.

To me it looks like Hull have stumbled on the same formula, I've only seen highlights of their recent goals, but when the ball is put in by their wide player, Chris is always one of the last attackers arriving in the box, which suggests he's playing the same role.

When the goals come from less direct play, he's always in the thick of the action.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

If I were Chris Martin, having made his way into the Hull team now, I'd tell Derby to go whistle if they tried to bring me back early, unless it was for a permanent move.

He'll make no more of the filth we've served up Marriott recently, in fact he'd probably make less of it seeing as he's not going to run the channels relentlessly all game.

He used to gather in decent balls around the half way line, played from the back four, who always knew roughly where he'd be, lay it off and join in the attack after.

To me it looks like Hull have stumbled on the same formula, I've only seen highlights of their recent goals, but when the ball is put in by their wide player, Chris is always one of the last attackers arriving in the box, which suggests he's playing the same role.

When the goals come from less direct play, he's always in the thick of the action.

Looks to me like he is playing the same role at Hull. Lumbering around and occasionally throwing himself to the ground. It has worked a few times lately!

He needs the ball to feet and will set the flair players up if we can do that. Our passing of late hasn't been good enough and he would be a passenger if it doesn't improve.

On 11/01/2019 at 16:59, Carnero said:

You don't know that, at no point have any of us seen a breakdown of each individual players written down value.

As at 30th June 2017 our squad had cost circa £52m and the written down values were circa  £42m.

As a global figure it would seem players had lost 20% of their value.

However, as you say, we have no idea how this translates to individual players but surely it gives an indication that we are massively over valuing our players.

For me, the £10m write down would not even cover Blackman, Butterfield and Johnson.

Any chance the mods can pull this thread back on topic? the last few pages have turned into a pissing contest between posters trying to outdo one another in their knowledge/guesswork regarding the club finances - with very little relating to Nuge and a possible transfer.....

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As at 30th June 2017 our squad had cost circa £52m and the written down values were circa  £42m.

As a global figure it would seem players had lost 20% of their value.

However, as you say, we have no idea how this translates to individual players but surely it gives an indication that we are massively over valuing our players.

For me, the £10m write down would not even cover Blackman, Butterfield and Johnson.

As with most we can say Thanks Sam Rush 

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Any chance the mods can pull this thread back on topic? the last few pages have turned into a pissing contest between posters trying to outdo one another in their knowledge/guesswork regarding the club finances - with very little relating to Nuge and a possible transfer.....

I have posted a number of off-topic comments on this and apologise. I agree. Those off-topic comments should be deleted or shifted to a thread elsewhere

On 12/01/2019 at 22:28, Anag Ram said:

Looks to me like he is playing the same role at Hull. Lumbering around and occasionally throwing himself to the ground. It has worked a few times lately!

He needs the ball to feet and will set the flair players up if we can do that. Our passing of late hasn't been good enough and he would be a passenger if it doesn't improve.

got hull a penalty yesterday....none of our current lot seem to be able to do this properly!

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

got hull a penalty yesterday....none of our current lot seem to be able to do this properly!

I am not fully up to speed with all the football rules, but I am pretty sure you had to get into the opposition penalty area before being awarded one.

Joking of course ?

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

as i said,they are doing it wrong then!!

Shouldn’t have to ‘do’ anything. If they’re fouled the pen should be given, shouldn’t have to go down properly get to it. Going down to try and win a penalty is not the way football should be going, refs need to be better. There’s been some right blatant ones missed.

Archived