Watchable telly

dog

Woman in the Wall on BBC.  Really enjoying this one and intriguing to learn about the Magdalene Laundries which existed in Ireland.

A magnificent Bobby Davison/10 for me. 

Edit: not seen the last part yet so could go badly wrong I suppose!

Edited by NottsRam

19 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Woman in the Wall on BBC.  Really enjoying this one and intriguing to learn about the Magdalene Laundries which existed in Ireland.

A magnificent Bobby Davison/10 for me. 

Edit: not seen the last part yet so could go badly wrong I suppose!

Although I’ve not seen it for a long time, and I’m not sure if it’s currently available anywhere, but there is a rather good film called The Magdalene Sisters. It’s fiction but based on the terrible events of the Magdalene Laundries.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Although I’ve not seen it for a long time, and I’m not sure if it’s currently available anywhere, but there is a rather good film called The Magdalene Sisters. It’s fiction but based on the terrible events of the Magdalene Laundries.

It is a good film but far from an easy watch, especially if you take a dim view of religion as a positive agent in our society. My Mum was unmarried when she had me, my father never lived with us. I am confident if I had been born in Ireland we would have been prime candidates for this horrific machine.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Thanks for that, i will have a look for it.  Although disturbing, it is quite a fascinating subject.

On 20/09/2023 at 08:24, Tamworthram said:

Not been able to find this anywhere to view unfortunately.  

Two failed attempts

The Watcher and Beef. The Watcher is cliché nonsense and aren't the good guys supposed to be likeable? I got 3 in and it's just a few decent ideas done in the more boring and obvious ways

Beef. Slowest moving show ever. It's says something like "two people involved in a road rage incident end up in a bitter rivalry." Thought that sounds alright like Changing Lanes(?) with Sam Jackson and Ben Affleck. 

So boooooring. Each has personal life that frustrates them and makes them miserable. But I felt like I was living it. By the time I got to episode 5 I was full of frustration and anger. 

Edited by Alpha

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

Two failed attempts

The Watcher and Beef. The Watcher is cliché nonsense and aren't the good guys supposed to be likeable? I got 3 in and it's just a few decent ideas done in the more boring and obvious ways

Beef. Slowest moving show ever. It's says something like "two people involved in a road rage incident end up in a bitter rivalry." Thought that sounds alright like Changing Lanes(?) with Sam Jackson and Ben Affleck. 

So boooooring. Each has personal life that frustrates them and makes them miserable. But I felt like I was living it. By the time I got to episode 5 I was full of frustration and anger. 

Started both of these. 

Imo- 

The Watcher was a so-so, expensive looking, standard thriller, but everyone said the ending was terrible- so I just lost interest. 

Beef - the missus liked and it was definitely different and the characters were interesting. But it started to drag a bit and there seemed way too many episodes for what there could possibly be left to say/do/happen so we took a break and haven't returned and I don't think I will. 

So similarly to you I started and didn't finish both. But thought they weren't as bad as you say   ...

Just started season 4 of Schitt's Creek and still loving it.

Maybe not quite as many laugh-out-loud funny moments as nearer the start (bit hard to make fish out of water jokes last more than a season or so) but this is more than made up for by the characters and particularly their on-going development.

Great TV.

Pop Tv Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

4 hours ago, NottsRam said:

'Hatton' documentary on Sky.  Brilliant, emotionally charged rollercoaster showing the very highs to the very lows of professional sport and the effects on those around you.  Highly recommended even for non boxing fans.  Two hours long and left me quite drained.

(Strictly speaking shouldnt this be in the film thread?).

I read his autobiography so lots of it was familiar but actually seeing it made it hit home. It did tone down some of his excesses I think but did very well in portraying his mental health and relationship with Billy (reminded me of Lou Reed) and his Dad.

Well worth a watch to remind you of the story. Hatton comes across well, as does his long term girlfriend. 

On 22/09/2023 at 10:26, NottsRam said:

'Hatton' documentary on Sky.  Brilliant, emotionally charged rollercoaster showing the very highs to the very lows of professional sport and the effects on those around you.  Highly recommended even for non boxing fans.  Two hours long and left me quite drained.

On 22/09/2023 at 15:23, Chester40 said:

(Strictly speaking shouldnt this be in the film thread?).

I read his autobiography so lots of it was familiar but actually seeing it made it hit home. It did tone down some of his excesses I think but did very well in portraying his mental health and relationship with Billy (reminded me of Lou Reed) and his Dad.

Well worth a watch to remind you of the story. Hatton comes across well, as does his long term girlfriend. 

Not watched yet it as I think his old man is going to fry my turnips. Proper weapon.