Watchable telly

dog

On 16/02/2024 at 07:17, Anag Ram said:

Been watching One Day on Netflix. Love story around the relationship between a Northern lass looking for love and commitment and a posh boy who wants to have his cake and eat it.

The one day is the 15th July across a number of years. I started half watching it, thinking it was just another romcom but it definitely is a level above that.

Episodes are short and there’s a real depth to the writing. Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall (White Lotus) are great in the lead roles. 

Might be getting soft in my old age, but I’m really looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

Sorry, did the first one and quit. Anne Hathaway got pelters for the film but the point is that Emma is supposed to be that girl Dexter never noticed but as soon as he does he realizes she is gorgeous. The girl in the series just doesn't have that allure and sense of mystery about her. And Dexs parents aren't as good as the film either.

13 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry, did the first one and quit. Anne Hathaway got pelters for the film but the point is that Emma is supposed to be that girl Dexter never noticed but as soon as he does he realizes she is gorgeous. The girl in the series just doesn't have that allure and sense of mystery about her. And Dexs parents aren't as good as the film either.

You quit too early!

Ambika Mod is far more believable than Hathaway as the girl whose charms are overlooked. She has more natural humour and charisma.

Miners Strike-a Frontline Story...Or Thatcher the Milk Snatchers Revenge for the early 70s.

Last night on BBC 2...90mins, So I guess it will be on iPlayer soon enough, As I remember it, The UK became a Police state with travel restrictions in place across England and Wales, The Police brutality at Orgreave will stay for as long as I live, Back in 1984 the news edited most of the violence out...but not last night, Depending on your age and your political beliefs back then you chose your side...it became a Class War. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/18/miners-strike-a-frontline-story-review-storytelling-so-vivid-that-40-years-melt-away-in-an-instant

8 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Miners Strike-a Frontline Story...Or Thatcher the Milk Snatchers Revenge for the early 70s.

Last night on BBC 2...90mins, So I guess it will be on iPlayer soon enough, As I remember it, The UK became a Police state with travel restrictions in place across England and Wales, The Police brutality at Orgreave will stay for as long as I live, Back in 1984 the news edited most of the violence out...but not last night, Depending on your age and your political beliefs back then you chose your side...it became a Class War. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/18/miners-strike-a-frontline-story-review-storytelling-so-vivid-that-40-years-melt-away-in-an-instant

watched this too last night, really harrowing. pathos and bathos aplenty.

Could barely watch the angst of David Roper , telling the reporter of how his mate hanged himself.

I lived in Bestwood /Hucknall area then and for years after the mere mention of Thatcher would cause a round of spitting on the floor.

These were ordinary folk misled by their own and brutalised by a Tory govt, certainly not the villiains they were cast as

Based On A True Story: Premise is that a couple (one of which is Kaley Cuoco) of true crime fans work out the identity of a current serial killer and convince him to make a podcast about his murders. The first couple of episodes are interesting, there's some good humour and the plot runs along nicely as they work out how this is all going to pan out. Then, by about episode five, you realise they are all out of ideas on how to move it forward and the whole show gets silly and self consuming.

But no worries, they've only got eight episodes so they can bring it all home in time without it getting too flabby, can't they? Get to the end of Episode 8 and, cliff hanger, they've set it all up for a second series. Why, oh why (rhetorical) do they do this? Why can't they just tell the story, wrap it, without having to stretch the whole thing so thin it eats itself alive - as this will do (without me) in series two.

59 minutes ago, silverback said:

watched this too last night, really harrowing. pathos and bathos aplenty.Could barely watch the angst of David Roper , telling the reporter of how his mate hanged himself.I lived in Bestwood /Hucknall area then and for years after the mere mention of Thatcher would cause a round of spitting on the floor.

These were ordinary folk misled by their own and brutalised by a Tory govt, certainly not the villiains they were cast as

Yes set one against the other, Divide the workforce, Starve them of money and food and it's a win win, The worst for me was the miner who had to cremate his new born child after he/she died in hospital, No funds for the funeral, Couldn't get a loan, Government told him as he was on strike there was no relief, So the baby was put in another persons coffin(with permission)to be cremated.

As for Thatcher and her Government...I hated them, I was unemployed from March 81 to November 84 with 5 million others, Not a Miner but a press operator at Prestige in Derby when the company moved to Blackburn 🙄

We finished Season 2 of Kin - excellent, and loved the ending.

Two episodes of the somewhat disappointing True Detective to go, and then we'll probably check out Breathless.

Mrs Badger went to drool over Martin Fry at the Hall for Cornwall last night and I watched the first episode of Loudermilk. I definitely laughed out loud a couple of times and may well go back to that.

So I'd watched Love / Hate series 1 thinking it was a one and done and obviously have been put right on tht score reading this thread. Just completed 2 though and for me, it wasn't half as good as #1.

So, is it just me, or are seasons 3, 4 and 5 different /better, or more of the same?

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

So I'd watched Love / Hate series 1 thinking it was a one and done and obviously have been put right on tht score reading this thread. Just completed 2 though and for me, it wasn't half as good as #1.

So, is it just me, or are seasons 3, 4 and 5 different /better, or more of the same?

Ignore! I have horrendous insomnia again so have cracked on with S03 and it's a distinct return to form. Tom Vaughn-Lawlor is a brilliant actor, but god is his character loathsome! Totally compelling though and I'm now rather keen to see whether he gets what's coming to him.

No spoilers please! 

On 19/02/2024 at 14:18, Ram-Alf said:

Yes set one against the other, Divide the workforce, Starve them of money and food and it's a win win, The worst for me was the miner who had to cremate his new born child after he/she died in hospital, No funds for the funeral, Couldn't get a loan, Government told him as he was on strike there was no relief, So the baby was put in another persons coffin(with permission)to be cremated.

As for Thatcher and her Government...I hated them, I was unemployed from March 81 to November 84 with 5 million others, Not a Miner but a press operator at Prestige in Derby when the company moved to Blackburn 🙄

My Dad carried on working due to Scargill not having a national vote and my Brother in Law, 25 years younger with a young child was on strike.

When my brother in law was out I, aged 14, used to carry a box of food from our house to theirs. 

Politicised me at an early age.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ignore! I have horrendous insomnia again so have cracked on with S03 and it's a distinct return to form. Tom Vaughn-Lawlor is a brilliant actor, but god is his character loathsome! Totally compelling though and I'm now rather keen to see whether he gets what's coming to him.

No spoilers please! 

It's all opinions I know, but 3 is way below 1 and 2. 😀. I'm on 4, and even though that's improved on 3, still not much enthusiasm to crack on and watch the next episode.

10 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

It's all opinions I know, but 3 is way below 1 and 2. 😀. I'm on 4, and even though that's improved on 3, still not much enthusiasm to crack on and watch the next episode.

Well thanks for pissing on my chips mate! 😂

4 hours ago, sage said:

My Dad carried on working due to Scargill not having a national vote and my Brother in Law, 25 years younger with a young child was on strike.

When my brother in law was out I, aged 14, used to carry a box of food from our house to theirs. 

I've a pretty strong character and I firmly believe in the vote(democracy)what would I have done back then...an honest opinion I can not give, I hated The Thatcher Government, I liked Scargill...I've read his books on how he was victimised as a young miner, So for your Dad to work and Your Brother-in Law to strike I applaud them both, Both must have gone through a decision that had emotive consequences.

My Dad was a Tory voter and my Mum was a labour voter, I took after my Mum back then, Strong social beliefs, Fight for your own and don't bow down to authority...bad times were the 80s...for some 😔  

6 hours ago, sage said:

As a young (18) apprentice fitter, we had to go to work at the start of the strike.  It was quite a scary experience crossing the picket lines especially when the flying pickets were travelling down from Yorkshire.  Given the choice I would have supported the strike but not without a national ballot, never understood why Scargill was reluctant to give the ballot early on, would have won by a landslide.  I know men who went on strike for the full year and men who didn't, thankfully i had the perfect excuse for working through.

4 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've a pretty strong character and I firmly believe in the vote(democracy)what would I have done back then...an honest opinion I can not give, I hated The Thatcher Government, I liked Scargill...I've read his books on how he was victimised as a young miner, So for your Dad to work and Your Brother-in Law to strike I applaud them both, Both must have gone through a decision that had emotive consequences.

My Dad was a Tory voter and my Mum was a labour voter, I took after my Mum back then, Strong social beliefs, Fight for your own and don't bow down to authority...bad times were the 80s...for some 😔  

Yep divisive

2 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Given the choice I would have supported the strike but not without a national ballot, never understood why Scargill was reluctant to give the ballot early on, would have won by a landslide.  

I was just about to post this.

The abuse Notts men got from flying pickets are horrific. In a national vote they would have voted for a strike probably 70/30 at worst. By the time they had a county vote they were so pished off they voted to work.

Notts miners weren't scabs. Miners who worked in areas where they voted to strike were. Always amused by Leeds, Barnsley etc fans shouting scab. Only the few Yorkshire miners who worked were scabs because they had a vote.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

I was just about to post this.

The abuse Notts men got from flying pickets are horrific. In a national vote they would have voted for a strike probably 70/30 at worst. By the time they had a county vote they were so pished off they voted to work.

Me and her were in Lorete de Mar back in the mid 80s, Met a couple from Annesley, He was a miner at the Colliery, So I asked what was his story, He said they had just taken a vote(show of hands)to support the Yorks miners, As they were leaving the canteen coach loads of Yorks miners turned up and threatened/persuade them to support the strike, Words were exchanged, All went back to the canteen and they took another vote...2-1 to to carry on working.

I understand the Ollerton miners in the programme when they said "Ollerton miners had a mind of their own" I'm pretty sure 🤷‍♂️ I'd have done the same 😬