Watchable telly

dog

47 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We're enjoying S5 of Fargo anyway, particularly the way that they have upped the ante and include multiple "baddies" (the sheriff, the hitman and the mother-in-law). Gives the story a wider dimension for sure

I did read a review that said it had gone down badly with the anti-woke brigade in the US because it had a strong female lead and made the men all look like morons. For me that's one of the things I like about it! That's life lads 😂

Marge Gunderson. Still the Coen brother's finest hour.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

We're enjoying S5 of Fargo anyway, particularly the way that they have upped the ante and include multiple "baddies" (the sheriff, the hitman and the mother-in-law). Gives the story a wider dimension for sure

I did read a review that said it had gone down badly with the anti-woke brigade in the US because it had a strong female lead and made the men all look like morons. For me that's one of the things I like about it! That's life lads 😂

Yeah, we started it last night and went through 2 episodes. Really enjoying it, way better that the latest TD IMHO and that of Mrs Badger.

We missed season 4 through some quirk of us moving back here, but it seems we were lucky.

I did begrudgingly pay £2.99 to Amazon to go ad free, but we'll cancel that when we have it finished in a week or so. I just cannot stomach ads now.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

did begrudgingly pay £2.99 to Amazon to go ad free, but we'll cancel that when we have it finished in a week or so. I just cannot stomach ads now.

Weirdly they switched the ads on after about 3 episodes so it felt very odd, but at least they are short and ignorable. I refuse to pay even more to not see them when I can just ignore them for free!

14 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I'm a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seen the lot...brilliant, Now series 12 is out I thought age may have crept up on the show...nope brilliant if not better, All the characters are getting older...but the story lines are getting better 👏☺️ 

Looking forward to watching the first two episodes at the weekend. Gotta love LD!

Finished the latest Fargo last night.

It was good, but I really think it was too long. If that had been made over here it would be 6 episodes and IMHO, better.

Well worth watching, but not as strong as the first couple.

Watched the first episode of the new Kin. I loved the first season and really enjoyed the first one last night, but it underlined how much better Love/Hate is.

But I think that's a reflection of my total love affair with the latter because I'm still really looking forward to the rest of Kin.

As per others, also looking forward to CYE. The first one was the usual high standard with a lovely dig at the US voting system. 

Been watching One Day on Netflix. Love story around the relationship between a Northern lass looking for love and commitment and a posh boy who wants to have his cake and eat it.

The one day is the 15th July across a number of years. I started half watching it, thinking it was just another romcom but it definitely is a level above that.

Episodes are short and there’s a real depth to the writing. Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall (White Lotus) are great in the lead roles. 

Might be getting soft in my old age, but I’m really looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Been watching One Day on Netflix. Love story around the relationship between a Northern lass looking for love and commitment and a posh boy who wants to have his cake and eat it.

The one day is the 15th July across a number of years. I started half watching it, thinking it was just another romcom but it definitely is a level above that.

Episodes are short and there’s a real depth to the writing. Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall (White Lotus) are great in the lead roles. 

Might be getting soft in my old age, but I’m really looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

This was highly recommended on the Nihal Arthanayake show. Can't stand him, but I like the movie section.

based on recommendations in this thread, me and the GF have watched Love/Hate over the last month or so.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, some great characters. Sadly some written out in first 2 seasons.

Underlying feeling is that the writers had to wrap it all up in the last episode or two and it felt a little rushed and the show deserved better.

Still a cracker though

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

based on recommendations in this thread, me and the GF have watched Love/Hate over the last month or so.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, some great characters. Sadly some written out in first 2 seasons.

Underlying feeling is that the writers had to wrap it all up in the last episode or two and it felt a little rushed and the show deserved better.

Still a cracker though

I'm on season 3 and enjoying it, i do agree though that some of the early characters are kind of missed later on.  Riveting stuff though.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Still a cracker though

I'm about half way through season 4 of Love/Hate.  Thanks to @Bob The Badger for the recommendation!

Think I already said this, but....

absolutely loved seasons one and two. Couldn't fault it. Really didn't like season three. A few reasons. I hated the storyline with Siobhan. Wish the writing just hadn't gone that way. Hated what happens with Tommy. Hated the fact that they even brought 'the Ra' into the story, and none of those characters worked for me. Didn't like the way the show just seemed to forget about their private life. For example, I'm pretty sure in the first two episodes of season 3, Nidge doesn't go home. He doesn't call home. Trish doesn't even get mentioned. If you joined the show at that point, you wouldn't know he had a family. 

Anyway.......season four has improved on three, but I'm not sure any of it from here, is going to match 1 and 2. 

18 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm about half way through season 4 of Love/Hate.  Thanks to @Bob The Badger for the recommendation!

Think I already said this, but....

absolutely loved seasons one and two. Couldn't fault it. Really didn't like season three. A few reasons. I hated the storyline with Siobhan. Wish the writing just hadn't gone that way. Hated what happens with Tommy. Hated the fact that they even brought 'the Ra' into the story, and none of those characters worked for me. Didn't like the way the show just seemed to forget about their private life. For example, I'm pretty sure in the first two episodes of season 3, Nidge doesn't go home. He doesn't call home. Trish doesn't even get mentioned. If you joined the show at that point, you wouldn't know he had a family. 

Anyway.......season four has improved on three, but I'm not sure any of it from here, is going to match 1 and 2. 

Yes, season three is disappointing me a bit but only because of the high standards set by 1 and 2.  Not enough to stop me enjoying it though.

@NottsRam and @ketteringram we wondered if Darren's sister (I forget her name now) just couldn't be in it because that seemed weird.

His girlfriend was just written out of the plotline so that didn't feel especially weird, more like real life.

I thought the end of Season 3 was brilliant.

I am enjoying Kin second season, but I miss the grittiness of Love/Hate. Having said that, I don't miss half the dialogue in Kin!

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

@NottsRam and @ketteringram we wondered if Darren's sister (I forget her name now) just couldn't be in it because that seemed weird.

His girlfriend was just written out of the plotline so that didn't feel especially weird, more like real life.

I am enjoying Kin second season, but I miss the grittiness of Love/Hate. Having said that, I don't miss half the dialogue in Kin!

I think i miss Aiden Gillen's character but I guess it was necessary to develop the story, although even the writer thinks it was probably a mistake to get rid too soon.

48 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've watched the first three episodes of second season of Kin  

I've no issues with dialogue, having lived in Ireland for 20 years 

Bren has certainly livened it up 😀

On 16/02/2024 at 07:17, Anag Ram said:

Just finished it.

You’ll never see a better love story ❤️

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Marks out of 10. Did you blub?

I'm not hugely into love stories but Mrs Badger is and I'm considering suggesting it.

A good nine. 

I'm not a blubber but it was certainly both believable and touching. 

I think Mrs B will love it. It’s not normally my type of thing but I got sucked in.

On 09/02/2024 at 11:20, Anag Ram said:

I really enjoyed Here we go on BBC1. 

Lovely, family comedy, beautifully acted.

IMG_1727.jpeg

Agree, I'm a big fan of Katherine Parkinson. She does knowing glances and exasperation as well as anyone. If your ever hear her interviewed you get the feeling she's pretty similar in real life.

As for CYE, it is just the cleverest and best written comedy of the last few years. I struggle to think of anything out of the States that betters it.