Watchable telly

dog

51 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

That's interesting. I'm part way through season 3, and think it's a huge drop in quality from 1 and 2.

It's like it's written by a different team or something. I'm not at the stage where I'd bail out of it. I just think it's a big drop off . 

I think from memory it may dipper a tad, but the last couple of episodes make it. The last one mostly.

Don't give up!

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

A guilty pleasure of mine. To be honest, I often skip through a lot of the task stuff.

Highlight of the first epiosde was the lad that made an arse of himself by not understanding what refunds were, in the boardroom, and started clapping like they'd won.

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed. Easily the best episode is when the Claud etc. are ripping them apart over their business plans.

One of the things that irritates me (apart from Lord Sugar, his lame jokes and the contestants themselves of course) is some of the things they are judged on just to make it "good" entertainment. Is Lord Sugar really going to assess (and potentially eliminate) a candidate just because they're not very good at selling products on a market stall or don't know how to follow a cooking recipe? I try to convince myself that that's all just for the TV programme and the real assessments is done off camera. 🤷‍♀️

I read a tweet the other day suggesting that it's basically Love Island now.

People have seen that it can launch an influencer career (see Tom Skinner and Ryan-Mark Parsons, as well as the likes of Katie Hopkins if you go back further) and apply to the show for a shot at fame. The tweet also suggested that this is obvious from the quality (or lack thereof) of the contestants' business plans.

I've not watched it in years so would be curious to know if this is the case.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

People have seen that it can launch an influencer career (see Tom Skinner and Ryan-Mark Parsons, as well as the likes of Katie Hopkins if you go back further) and apply to the show for a shot at fame. The tweet also suggested that this is obvious from the quality (or lack thereof) of the contestants' business plans.

I watched about half of last years but lost patience when it became obvious they didn't even understand the basics of business. 

And literally every one of them had stupidly white teeth. The kind of white that doesn't even exist in nature. Whatever happened to good old fashioned yellow British teeth? It's an outrage. 

Sugar's a knob too. 

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Oh I agree it's definitely a pure entertainment show nowadays. Sugar doesn't even invest in the companies any more, it's just a £250k prize that they can spend as they like. The serious business aspect of it went out of the window years ago.

I basically watch it out of schadenfreude, enjoying it when they get found out for being generally rubbish. I therefore couldn't name any of the winners in the past 10 years, so can't comment on what they've done since.

On 04/02/2024 at 21:24, Tamworthram said:

Just finished episode 6 of The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Not to be taken too seriously and I’m really enjoying it. Some great music along the way.

A bit difficult to describe but briefly it’s about the son of a Taiwanese triad boss who goes to LA, and teams up with his somewhat inept Americanised brother, to protect his mother. 

I really enjoyed this. Manages to be both incredibly violent and utterly charming -encapsulated in the character of the older brother - a ruthless killer who is also utterly captivated by baking and daytime soap operas.

2 hours ago, NottsRam said:

I know its had a few mentions before but for anyone who likes gangland crime drama, Love/Hate is a must.  I liked Kin but this is just wow, and 5 seasons to watch.

My favourite series since Top Boy, probably better than Kin. Hence, I've flogged that dead horse down to the bare bones and then eaten the bones.

Finally got around to Mr Bates versus the Post Office.

My sister said it was brilliant and would work as a standalone drama

I disagree. The only thing that made it interesting was the fact it actually happened, and Alan Bates is still fighting.

I think if I hadn't known the story, I'd have loved it, but it was just okay to me.

Watching True Detective (I hadn't realised it was being drip fed so had a shock last night when we caught up).

It's pretty good, but I really don't like Jodie Foster as an actor; I just cannot warm up to her. The same goes for the other cop working with her, she scares me.

I find it really hard to love something when I dislike the characters and they have no screen charm/charisma. For example, Nidge in Love/Hate was a lunatic, but his character was charismatic and super complex. The same went for Ginny in Gomorrah and Sully in Top Boy.

Jodie Foster is a great actor, but I don't find her at all compelling like say, Kate Winslett is.

We’ve been hanging in there with True Detective. The premise is interesting but there’s a lot going on, not all of which my wife and I fully understand 😊

Just as we’re losing attention something dramatic happens and we’re back in it.

It’s not the masterpiece it was advertised as.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We’ve been hanging in there with True Detective. The premise is interesting but there’s a lot going on, not all of which my wife and I fully understand 😊

Just as we’re losing attention something dramatic happens and we’re back in it.

It’s not the masterpiece it was advertised as.

Series 1?  The first time I watched it I was a little confused to be honest. Watched it a further 3 times and love jt more each time,  just absolute quality.

This latest Jodie Foster series is watchable but not on the same planet.

Workmate was absolutely raving about Love/Hate- which is weird as its not new!

Having already got it on my watch list from here, I pushed it up the list! 

Loved series 1. It's like Kin but better I think. Is a bit like an Irish version of Trainspotting.

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Series 1?  The first time I watched it I was a little confused to be honest. Watched it a further 3 times and love jt more each time,  just absolute quality.

This latest Jodie Foster series is watchable but not on the same planet.

Workmate was absolutely raving about Love/Hate- which is weird as its not new!

Having already got it on my watch list from here, I pushed it up the list! 

Loved series 1. It's like Kin but better I think. Is a bit like an Irish version of Trainspotting.

No the latest one. 

Like a ghost story mixed with Fortitude.

Interesting but not really entertaining.

32 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

No the latest one. 

Like a ghost story mixed with Fortitude.

Interesting but not really entertaining.

Yep, totally agree. Felt like Fortitude with a few comic elements and slightly strange 'mystic' vibes. Watchable but not really sure what it is..

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I don't think anything has grabbed my attention like TD1 did. The brooding malevolence of it all, the brilliance of Harrelson and McConaughey and the chemistry between their respective characters. It hooks you in deeper and deeper until episode 4 just which just explodes onto the screen and you can't take a breath from thereon out. It was like a stellar alignment and the other series in the anthology have really suffered for comparison. Impossible gig to follow up, though I did think 3 was pretty good. I'll wait to binge S4 as watching TD1 week by week had me losing sleep! 

7 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I don't think anything has grabbed my attention like TD1 did. The brooding malevolence of it all, the brilliance of Harrelson and McConaughey and the chemistry between their respective characters. It hooks you in deeper and deeper until episode 4 just which just explodes onto the screen and you can't take a breath from thereon out. It was like a stellar alignment and the other series in the anthology have really suffered for comparison. Impossible gig to follow up, though I did think 3 was pretty good. I'll wait to binge S4 as watching TD1 week by week had me losing sleep! 

Rustin Cohle is probably my favourite character from any series. Just totally engrossing.

Even though last time I watched it, Mrs Chester joined me for her 2nd viewing and commented how in the present day he's made to look all bedraggled, tattooed and scrawny looking...she can tell he's actually absolutely ripped under his shirt. 🙄

Tbf as I have mentioned on here before,  I may have commented that Alexandria Daddario as Marty's girlfriend is absolutely smoking.

On 31/01/2024 at 20:02, Premier ram said:

To Catch A Copper a 3 parter on CH4 powerful stuff about the police investigating their own , doesn’t show the particular police force in a good light

Really gripping. Thought the first one the cops were all horrific but the second one I was totally on the cops’ side and thought none of the incidents warranted any discipline 

How that lady thought police officers would know her son had a brain bleed from him saying he had a headache, I’ll never know 🤔

11 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Rustin Cohle is probably my favourite character from any series. Just totally engrossing.

Even though last time I watched it, Mrs Chester joined me for her 2nd viewing and commented how in the present day he's made to look all bedraggled, tattooed and scrawny looking...she can tell he's actually absolutely ripped under his shirt. 🙄

Tbf as I have mentioned on here before,  I may have commented that Alexandria Daddario as Marty's girlfriend is absolutely smoking.

A3D52DDF-4E9B-4BA7-A429-EBED48A472E6.gif

We're enjoying S5 of Fargo anyway, particularly the way that they have upped the ante and include multiple "baddies" (the sheriff, the hitman and the mother-in-law). Gives the story a wider dimension for sure

I did read a review that said it had gone down badly with the anti-woke brigade in the US because it had a strong female lead and made the men all look like morons. For me that's one of the things I like about it! That's life lads 😂

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We're enjoying S5 of Fargo anyway, particularly the way that they have upped the ante and include multiple "baddies" (the sheriff, the hitman and the mother-in-law). Gives the story a wider dimension for sure

I did read a review that said it had gone down badly with the anti-woke brigade in the US because it had a strong female lead and made the men all look like morons. For me that's one of the things I like about it! That's life lads 😂

If it triggers the sort of men who beat women, all the better.