Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

You folk didn;t really sell it to me, but I decided to wathc anyhow. Really enjoyed it actually. Have to admit I nearly gave up after Ep.3 which was a total filler, but it improved as it went on. I liked that it had more emotional depth than most sci-fi stuff and enjoyed the changing pace with some slower episodes to flesh out the characters.

Actually I had the same experience. I struggled through the first few, then came back to it a few weeks later and ended up enjoying it. It was definitely a way more imaginative take on the genre than most I've seen. I'd definitely watch another season.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

You folk didn;t really sell it to me, but I decided to wathc anyhow. Really enjoyed it actually. Have to admit I nearly gave up after Ep.3 which was a total filler, but it improved as it went on. I liked that it had more emotional depth than most sci-fi stuff and enjoyed the changing pace with some slower episodes to flesh out the characters.

It's great that we all see things differently. Regarding your view on episode 3, I've seen a lot of people say that's by far the best episode. I've seen people saying that it's one of the finest episodes of any show ever made.

I'm somewhere in-between those people, and you. 

I thought the series was ok. I realise I'm supposed to suspend disbelief when watching shows like this, but the last two episodes were ridiculous. 

I probably wouldn't watch a second season. 

46 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

. I realise I'm supposed to suspend disbelief when watching shows like this, but the last two episodes were

You're totally right about that. There were several things we commented on. I think that's where you could see it was a game adaption. But for me it was original enough, compared to say the very formulaic MCU movie endings, that I found it thoroughly enjoyable ridiculousness! 

If that makes sense!?

3 episodes into Blue Lights and equally impressed with this high quality cop drama from the Beeb. 

I originally compared it to Line of Duty but I think a fairer comparison would be The Responder with Martin Freeman from last year. 

Fabulously acted and does not have me wanting to get a small flat in Northern Ireland for weekend get aways.

On 03/03/2023 at 15:13, NottsRam said:

If you have seen the news today about the US lawyer Alex Murdaugh being found guilty of murdering his wife and son in South Carolina, the whole story is on Netflix (not including the trial) in Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal.  Worth a watch if you like true crime documentaries.

And now a HBO version showing on Sky, fascinating insight into corruption in a small South Carolina town involving the local legal company who have basically run the town for 100 plus years.  Highly recommend for true crime fans.

On 22/03/2023 at 16:35, BucksRam said:

Anyone watched A Town Called Malice yet?  Heard mixed reviews and have one or two other things to watch first but be interested to hear any views.  I've series linked it anyway just wondered if it takes priority over finishing the last couple of seasons of Bosch (I know, playing catch up), Maternal (ITV) which I've heard was very good and starting Mandalorian too - this is the way. 

Just finished the series, i loved it but many probably won't.  It's not to be taken too seriously, very tongue in cheek, but if like me, you grew up in the 70s and 80s you will enjoy the clobber and the music I think.

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

3 episodes into Blue Lights and equally impressed with this high quality cop drama from the Beeb. 

I originally compared it to Line of Duty but I think a fairer comparison would be The Responder with Martin Freeman from last year. 

Fabulously acted and does not have me wanting to get a small flat in Northern Ireland for weekend get aways.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. Four episodes in and thus far, it's good stuff!

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

You guys are all very quiet on Succession. Is everybody waiting to binge it like I and Mrs Badger are?

Also, very surprised I didn't get any pushback on me saying I thought Ted Lasso had deteriorated. Anybody else seen it?

I was worried Succession might be a season too far.

Two episodes in I’m purring with pleasure.

Utterly brilliant. The wittiest show on TV. How can a show about such unlikeable characters be so engrossing?

58 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You guys are all very quiet on Succession. Is everybody waiting to binge it like I and Mrs Badger are?

Also, very surprised I didn't get any pushback on me saying I thought Ted Lasso had deteriorated. Anybody else seen it?

Re Ted Lasso.

I ploughed through the first series and basically hated every minute of it. I was determined to actually get to the end of it though, so stuck with it. Didn't like or care about any of the characters. Thought the whole idea was just daft , and nothing remotely funny happened at any point . Given how everyone seems to love it, I think there must be something wrong with me!

Amazed to hear that it's deteriorated 😀

41 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I was worried Succession might be a season too far.

Two episodes in I’m purring with pleasure.

Utterly brilliant. The wittiest show on TV. How can a show about such unlikeable characters be so engrossing?

Omg, I love it when you purr with pleasure!

23 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Just finished the series, i loved it but many probably won't.  It's not to be taken too seriously, very tongue in cheek, but if like me, you grew up in the 70s and 80s you will enjoy the clobber and the music I think.

Thanks for the update. Will def add it to my list 

The Glory on Netflix.

Korean show about a woman who was bullied throughout school plans the next 20 or so years getting revenge on those that bullied her. It's a brilliant watch and I was hooked from the first episode. Some difficult scenes in there to watch but overall a fantastic drama.

9/10.

On 06/04/2023 at 18:43, Bob The Badger said:

I genuinely think it may be like the final series of Happy Valley, and best watched week to week than bingeing.

After each episode, I immediately want more, but I also welcome the chance to cleanse myself between episodes, if that make sense?

It's a sewer, I'm not sure hours of wading in their s**** is healthy.

I think if I watched more than a couple of episodes back to back, I'd go into work the next day and behave like Roman, and be relieved of my duties pretty much instantly.

Whilst completely ignoring the advice of @Rev that it's wise to watch Succession weekly we started watching Tulsa King to fill the gap and at least let it build up a few episodes.

Hated, Stallone's hammy acting and after half an episode decided to move on to Strike as I've heard good things in here about it.

Jeez, it's like Midsomer Murders with swearing. I was expecting a lot and after two episodes I am bored senseless.

Toying with going back to Tulsa King and giving it a fairer shot.

9 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Whilst completely ignoring the advice of @Rev that it's wise to watch Succession weekly we started watching Tulsa King to fill the gap and at least let it build up a few episodes.

Hated, Stallone's hammy acting and after half an episode decided to move on to Strike as I've heard good things in here about it.

Jeez, it's like Midsomer Murders with swearing. I was expecting a lot and after two episodes I am bored senseless.

Thought it was only me that thought Strike was crap - though I’m not a fan of J K Rowling’s writing anyway so I didn’t have great hopes for it - I also managed two episodes of the first series before giving up….

On 09/04/2023 at 22:14, Bob The Badger said:

It doesn't really work as a show for me. I was intrigued in the run up as there were a lot of positive vibes around it, but it's an ordinary show and not of the same standard as other Taylor Sheridan projects. It fell like a show that doesn't know what it's meant to be and I'm thinking humour may be the one thing that Sheridan isn't great at.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It doesn't really work as a show for me. I was intrigued in the run up as there were a lot of positive vibes around it, but it's an ordinary show and not of the same standard as other Taylor Sheridan projects. It fell like a show that doesn't know what it's meant to be and I'm thinking humour may be the one thing that Sheridan isn't great at.

TBF, it has grown on me after watching the first 4 episodes.

It wouldn't take much to tear me away from it, but it's quite enjoyable.

However, I get what you mean because it misses a LOT of opportunities to be really quite funny.

I didn't even realise it was a black comedy when I first started watching and I wholeheartedly agree that it seems confused about what it actually is, genre-wise.

I see Barry is back for the 4th and final series but not checked if we see it over here. I saw the first 3 in the US and they were exactly how you should do black comedy gangster stuff.

Were you one of the people who liked Town Called Malice? That was the other series we were mulling over but a fairly low IMDb score put me off.

16 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I see Barry is back for the 4th and final series but not checked if we see it over here. I saw the first 3 in the US and they were exactly how you should do black comedy gangster stuff.

Were you one of the people who liked Town Called Malice? That was the other series we were mulling over but a fairly low IMDb score put me off.

Not seen Barry. Might add that to the watch list.

Not seen Town Called malice either so not a lot of help really. I use IMDB as a first pass tool, if that makes sense, but I wouldn't let a mid-6 rating put you off.