Atmosphere

Waffle

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Gap tooth ram said:

I still can't understand why they play the Derbyshire poet and Steve Bloomers Watching 10 minutes before the players even come out.  Get everyone up just to let it go flat again.  

There’s altogether too much ‘stuff’ before the game.  They are trying too hard to manufacture an atmosphere and it doesn’t work.

I don’t mind SBW because it is now a bit of tradition - but I think they moved it earlier because it wasn’t bombastic enough for the players (? I might be wrong in that ?).... the poetry, overly loud music, atrocious announcer (it’s in your DNA yoof ?), flags, fireworks (already gone) etc  need to go to allow a more organic and spontaneous growth in pre-match noise to be created. Nobody is going to try to start a chant before the game when you can’t hear yourself think (you can’t even have a chat with your neighbour).  

Somebody made a really good point in another thread a while ago about the choice of chants... We need to go back to some of the old faithfuls which you can keep going over a period of time (super Derby for example).  The trouble with ‘since i was young’ (as an example) is that not only is it terrible, it also has a clear end.  You get one rendition and it stops.  

The South Stand (or whoever) need to get a prolonged period of singing one song over and over and over, not stopping until the whole stand and whole ground have picked it up.  

25 minutes ago, Gap tooth ram said:

I still can't understand why they play the Derbyshire poet and Steve Bloomers Watching 10 minutes before the players even come out.  Get everyone up just to let it go flat again.  

Agree. And this.....? I'm not sure that this can be a football anthem.

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

There’s altogether too much ‘stuff’ before the game.  They are trying too hard to manufacture an atmosphere and it doesn’t work.

I don’t mind SBW because it is now a bit of tradition - but I think they moved it earlier because it wasn’t bombastic enough for the players (? I might be wrong in that ?).... the poetry, overly loud music, atrocious announcer (it’s in your DNA yoof ?), flags, fireworks (already gone) etc  need to go to allow a more organic and spontaneous growth in pre-match noise to be created. Nobody is going to try to start a chant before the game when you can’t hear yourself think (you can’t even have a chat with your neighbour).  

Somebody made a really good point in another thread a while ago about the choice of chants... We need to go back to some of the old faithfuls which you can keep going over a period of time (super Derby for example).  The trouble with ‘since i was young’ (as an example) is that not only is it terrible, it also has a clear end.  You get one rendition and it stops.  

The South Stand (or whoever) need to get a prolonged period of singing one song over and over and over, not stopping until the whole stand and whole ground have picked it up.  

This.

That’s the main reason why the forest lot seemed noisy the other night. They have one very simple song that everybody can join in with and it spreads easily. When you manage to get 3/4000 people singing in unison repeatedly it makes a massive difference. The whole south stand normally only sing the bounce together and once again it’s not a chant that repeats easily.

15 hours ago, ossieram said:

That seems to be the same for the rest of the ground.

We all know that the south stand was supposed to be the area for people wanting to sing and create an atmosphere (some of us try) and we all now know that some obviously made the move for the cheaper tickets.

So that must mean we have people in other areas of the ground that still want to create an atmosphere who either didn't want to change seats or couldn't because those who wanted cheap seats got there first. These people need to become more vocal and keep trying to get those around them to join in, it can't just be left to the south stand.

Drinking the Devil's Advocaat, It could just mean we don't have enough "Singers" to even fill the South Stand these days?  

Totally agree with your next post though.  The "competition" between the Ossie End (my regular spot) and Popside was immense, at times.  Even the monotonous "Ossie End... Popside... Ossie  End... Popside" sing-off could fairly be described as a classic by today's standard!  happy0034.gif

Those days are gone.. The powers to be don’t want an intimidating atmosphere just face paint and families.

The spectator has changed from a working class lad to something else.. We live in a world now where some chants are no go.. The terrace humour has gone PC.. 

Which grounds do you visit now and come away thinking that was a great atmosphere? A handful at most and that will depend on the game on the day and how it is going.. You can’t manufacture it.. If this is a new group, good luck., We have seen plenty before and it always fizzles out..

Much easier away from home as well.

15 hours ago, ossieram said:

I think the main difference between the BBG and PP apart from the seats and the fact it was usually a ground full of working class blokes letting off steam

Absolutely this, the support demographic has changed which has effected the atmosphere.

Don’t think it’ll ever be what it was. Good luck to those trying to change it, I’m with you. 

14 hours ago, LazloW said:

Wonderfully put, far too much. We need to strip it right back (including getting rid of that drum!) 

Good luck to them. Hope they realise the difficulty of what they're trying to take on.

We gave it our best shot, enjoyed it for a bit until we started getting disgusting personal abuse for what we were doing.

Anyone who is trying to improve the atmosphere at Pride Park and you know, actually support the team is a good'un in my book.

Suprised football clubs are not cashing in on selling 'singing' or 'atmosphere' tickets.

It won't be long before they are issuing or having seats with a pair of headphones attached so we can all sing a long to certain PC songs when the club decides it's a good time to sing etc. A 'silent disco' in football grounds coming soon.

At least my kids are not Swansea City fans and want to be mascots, greedy so and so's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

17 hours ago, Zag zig said:

It’s definitely the time of year for a good atmosphere, just ask him

I had the very same ‘Best Company’ jumper that Russ has got on in the video. It cost £90 from Legends in Chesterfield. Someone stole it however from the washing line I was gutted ☹️

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Those days are gone.. The powers to be don’t want an intimidating atmosphere just face paint and families.

The spectator has changed from a working class lad to something else.. We live in a world now where some chants are no go.. The terrace humour has gone PC.. 

Which grounds do you visit now and come away thinking that was a great atmosphere? A handful at most and that will depend on the game on the day and how it is going.. You can’t manufacture it.. If this is a new group, good luck., We have seen plenty before and it always fizzles out..

Much easier away from home as well.

Unfortunately spot on.

The reality is they play really loud music before KO because if they didn't it'd be a wall of silence like it is for most of the full 90 minutes of the game. 

I do wish the club would drop the flags at games like Forest too. It elevates the game status as if it were our cup final and then of course we have the embarrassing atmosphere that follows, must leave a neutral thinking WTF is this about. Absolute cringe when RamsTV were asking FL about the raucous atmosphere afterwards...what atmosphere? Perhaps in the Forest end it was. 

We also have one of the dullest songbooks in the league as well to contend with which is hardly inspiring. We have no real anthem to belt out after a goal or before a game - SBW is a lullaby to put a baby asleep, not a cry to battle song. I do think if we managed to find an anthem that we can all get behind that would make a slight improvement in the right direction.

Maybe it's time we "Did a Man City" from all those years ago, when they put microphones in The Kippax, and relayed the noise to loud speakers behind the Platt Lane End Goal (and probably in the other stands?  I don't know!)

I sat with the home fans low behind that goal once (Late '70's... We we won 1-2... Yeah!) and kept looking behind me to see where all the noise was coming from, as everyone sat behind me were comatose!  It was well into the second half before I finally sussed out the speakers!

And no... my suggestion isn't a serious one!  

Archived