Martin O'Neill & Roy Keane Leave Republic of Ireland

Day

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In O'Neil's defence, this is the weakest Irish talent pool I can remember. Having said that, he was on big money and I'm sure the Irish FA can find someone cheaper who might even show ambition to achieve more than attempting to draw every game 0-0.

Quite funny to see, but Alex Pearce has more goals for the Irish national team than their last squad's 6 attackers combined. 

Alex Pearce                                                                       9 apps, 2 goals.
Robinson, O'Brien, Maguire, Hogan, Curtis, Obafemi      20 apps, 1 goal. 

It really is embarrassing. James McClean is their highest scoring current player with 10 goals. Hendrick has 45 caps, yet only 1 goal. I find that in itself for a player who isn't a defensive midfielder absolutely outrageous. I think whoever the new manager is needs to start vetting records because they're in an awful state. 

15 hours ago, HantsRam said:

One final outing for Big Mick.....

Or has Gary Rowett pricked up his sensory organs at the prospect of a good payday for a 9 game season? ?

It would seem to be a choice between Mick McCarthy and  Stephen Kenny (manager of League of Ireland Champions Dundalk).

Whoever takes the job will have a very difficult task. This must be the weakest Rep of Ireland squad in the last 40 years. 

McCarthy would probably be a good choice. He's a manager that will utilise the players at his disposal in the best possible way. He's not a choice for the purist, but without a stream of talented Irish players coming through he could be the best choice to 'do a job' with the players already there. 

They need to set up a sponsorship with Heritage or whatever and see if there are any unknowing players who would be eligible.  I suppose they haven't got Sammon leading the line for them anymore. 

Archived