Alcohol allowed in the stand?

Boycie

There’s a movement requesting a change in the current rules about drinking in your seat during the match.  The current rules forbid football fans but allow most other sports including rugby.

i think it should be allowed, but fear some idiots will just ruin it by throwing their pints everywhere if we score.

Dustrecon?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

There’s a movement requesting a change in the current rules about drinking in your seat during the match.  The current rules forbid football fans but allow most other sports including rugby.

i think it should be allowed, but fear some idiots will just ruin it by throwing their pints everywhere if we score.

Dustrecon?

It's never really bothered me tbh. I would spill it clapping or berating he ref. I also think it would get chucked about by idiots.

Cheeky little hip flask with some port in is nice in winter though.

The idea is that because drink is available in the stand you don’t need to binge before the match and thus stop drunken idiots entering.

Just profit from making the idiots drunken from the concourse sales I guess?

im just being devils advocate 

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The idea is that because drink is available in the stand you don’t need to binge before the match and thus stop drunken idiots entering.

Just profit from making the idiots drunken from the concourse sales I guess?

im just being devils advocate 

It's how it works in the US. Just sit in your seat and the beer sellers wander up and down the aisles. 

They're not allowed to accept tips either  (unlike every other retail transaction inUS).

I think they rely on the fact that you can't drink till you're 21 to keep order. 

Either that or rely on the 19 year olds who've got state of the art automatic weapons to effectively police things ?

Works fine as it is. 

I doubt the clubs will go for it. Theyve spent years and £ attracting a different set of fans. Those fans would dissapear if they were having to dodge beer in their seats every week. 

For me, who likes a beer, it would cause more hassle than its worth. 

Because we score so early most of those carrying their drinks to their seats will stumble on the stairs, they'll be a tsunami and the late comers in the concourse will drown in chemically produced lager.

It should be allowed during the second half when we are 4-0 up and everyone is relaxed.

Won’t happen. Look how long it’s taking to get safe standing to pass, if they won’t trust football fans to stand, not a chance they will let us have the opportunity to drink more alcohol. 

Not sure it’s a great idea either given what goes off in the concourse, West Stand you could get away with a drop of brandy in the coffee I guess, but South Stand would be chaos. Would need one of those hats with a umbrella attached

Maybe have an app like spoons, order your beer and get a grumpy steward bringing it you over without moving.

Not for me though. Reckon if i was quaffing beer during the game i'd miss most of it due to toilet trips.

15 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Was really surprised my first game over there that I couldn’t take my beer to my seat. Go get 4 beers at a time here and take them back. Is it a football thing or can you take them back at the cricket?

Football thing. With the cricket they understand it’s completely unwatchable without getting hammered

2 minutes ago, David said:

Football thing. With the cricket they understand it’s completely unwatchable without getting hammered

I sat day 1 at the Gabba a few years back and watched England score 300/1. Couldn’t get enough beers in me that day.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Come along with @sage and me next year to the County Ground and see how sophisticated sports fans marry the appreciation of the artisanal crafts of Belgian monks with the gentle sound of leather on willow under blue skies.

Or, like us, you can just get hammered.

Surely all the footage of england fans throwing their beers around in fan parks up and down the county during the world cup is enough to see this would be a bad idea.

It would be nice to sip a beer in the ground but less nice to be soaked through with ale when it's 2 degrees in Feb.

We could take beers into our seats in the recent Sellebrity game at Pride Park.  It seemed really strange but it happens at athletics and cricket all the time.

What a shame that fans can't agree to an unwritten code of conduct that allows this to happen. 

Don't throw your beer in the same way we know not to charge onto the pitch or they'll put us back behind fences.

I don't think it will happen though , as there is a small but persistent group of fans that think that football is an excuse for doing things they would get arrested for anywhere other than at a football match.

Archived