Our Defence

Day

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the reason Forsyth gets so much stick is because it's the simple things, that are more noticeable to the spectator, that he does wrong so often. 

How many times do you see him have a 10 yard pass intercepted or put a cross into row z when he is completely unchallenged?!

Personally I like him. Think he has many more positives than negatives and is a solid Championship left back.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think the reason Forsyth gets so much stick is because it's the simple things, that are more noticeable to the spectator, that he does wrong so often. 

How many times do you see him have a 10 yard pass intercepted or put a cross into row z when he is completely unchallenged?!

Personally I like him. Think he has many more positives than negatives and is a solid Championship left back.

That’s precisely why he frustrates me so much, he can sometimes play a blinding cross like the on to Marriott, then two seconds later he gifts the opposition a chance through simply not concentrating on a basic pass! That said, given what I’ve seem of malone so far I can see why he’s in the team ahead of him...

Tomori's pace is great and has got himself and teammates out of trouble more than once. He's got a decent pass and vision also. 

But, if you examined every goal conceded this season, you will Tomori has played a part in most of them. Sometimes not on his own, but most of the time had he'd been switched on then the goal wouldn't have been conceded. Just recently, Man U, Norwich, Brentford, QPR and Sheffield United. All of those games we conceded a goal in which he was at least partly to blame. Having said that he has played well in those games and has contributed to some fine results. The question is whether Davies' inclusion would have resulted in a better set of results, that we'll never know. 

I actually think that in a high-press and high-defensive line system it might be better to have fast centre-halves who recover well rather than players who read the game well. It doesn't matter how well you read the game if the system leaves you exposed to a simple clipped ball in behind.

To be fair to Fozzy, a lot of his passes are high-risk, driven, curling forward passes either into the channel (like to Mount in the build up to our first) or in-behind between full-back and centre-half. His crossing is normally early and curled which is a difficult technique to pull off but devastating when executed correctly.

39 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Tomori's pace is great and has got himself and teammates out of trouble more than once. He's got a decent pass and vision also. 

But, if you examined every goal conceded this season, you will Tomori has played a part in most of them. Sometimes not on his own, but most of the time had he'd been switched on then the goal wouldn't have been conceded. Just recently, Man U, Norwich, Brentford, QPR and Sheffield United. All of those games we conceded a goal in which he was at least partly to blame. Having said that he has played well in those games and has contributed to some fine results. The question is whether Davies' inclusion would have resulted in a better set of results, that we'll never know. 

See above re scapegoats. Was it you who proudly announced after the Leeds game that Tomori was worse than Clod?

There are numerous reasons that Fozzy gets so much stick - some folk just have to have a whinge, some like to infer that they know more than the manager and coaching staff, many simply fail to apply sensible metrics, ie. how does he compare to the bulk of LB's in the division and are my expectations realistic? While it's no surprise that folk critique player performances on a football forum, it does seem to me that he gets way more flak than deserved. The variants where he and Malone are concerned are where we are looking to break down teams and are enjoying a significant advantage in terms of possession, Malone might be considered by some to be a more attacking option. Conversely, in the bulk of games, where the principal remit is defence, Fozzy is a better all-round option, to my mind at least. 

6 hours ago, Duracell said:

Ew ew ew ew ewwwww Boro have conceded only 7 and we have to go up there and play them in their empty red version Pride Park ar 12:30pm before it’s properly warmed up in the arctic circle.

We’ll lose 0-0.

To be fair they built theirs first. But your right it's certainly empty!

Defence is always going to get more stick.

If someone scores against us, it's due to a mistake by us.

If we score, it's never discussed in terms of defensive errors by the opposition.

We're in the Championship and we have Championship standard (sometimes error prone) players. It's not rocket science.

Forsyth isn't perfect by any stretch but he is better than Malone from what I have seen of the pair.

Tomori and Keogh don't strike me as a pairing and neither is particulatly good in the air. However, neither player deserves to be dropped, Bogle is still learning and Davies is a class defender.

Putting Tomori at RB might be an oversimplification. Statistically we have done okay but that's also due to the fifth member of the defence.

Lampard will probably stick to the current set until results dictate a change.

I'm just happy we have some strength in depth.  Don't doubt for a minute that Davies, Wisdom and Malone (who knows maybe even Pearce) will get a fair share of games.  Call me crazy, but if there was a sudden bout of food poisoning tonight and he had to line up with that back four it wouldn't unduly worry me (before people go rabid, I'm not suggesting that would be a better back 4, or Pearce should get in over the other three CBs or that Wisdom and Malone are necessarily better than Bogle and Fozzy, just that they are all decent to good Championship players!).

Archived