Harry Wilson is at it again!

Day

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very different freekick because it wasn't nearly so far out. In this case you can criticize the keeper a little (at Old Trafford, the ball first curved the other way which is why the keeper moved in that direction) but because of the quality of the take Randolph felt he had to gamble a little to give himself a better chance of saving.

I do think Wilson is uber talented and his relationship with Mount pre-season seemed telepathic. And that by the end of the season we will likely see them as the front pairing of a midfield two. Wilson passes, tackles, creates and scores. I rate him ever so highly.

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

An unpopular opinion but i don't particulary rate Harry Wilson.

Can hit the odd free kick though!

Call me crazy but Wilson excites me more than Mount.

Mount has hit the ground running as expected and is a class act, Wilson has the potential to be phenomenal as an attacking player.

If we can have Mount and Wilson at full strength and get Tom Lawrence and Marriott firing on all cylinders we are in for a very good 2nd half of the season.

I think Wilson would be more effective playing on the left, or more centrally. Frank seems to want him on the right where he has been largely anonymous. The best game he has had, was against Man Utd., when he linked up really well with Mount. 

The technique isn’t a fluke. But where the ball ends up is pot luck. It’s a smash at goal, hoping the ball moves to deceive the goalkeeper. There is no aim, other than getting it on target.

Wilson’s goal vs United moved outwards to the left.

Wilson’s goal vs Ireland, using the same technique, moved inwards to the right.

Same technique, two different movements on the ball. How can you say that isn’t luck or a fluke? He has no control on the movement, evident by the two different goals.

Mount, using the inside of his foot, stands a much bigger chance of hitting it accurately, but then it’s more predictable for the goalkeeper.

The benefit of Wilson’s technique is the unpredictability factor for the goalkeeper. Nobody can judge the flight of the ball, so if it’s powerful and on target, there’s probably a better chance it will go in.

But for every 10 attempts of knuckleball, only 2 might hit the target. With Mount’s technique you’re looking at maybe 5.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The technique isn’t a fluke. But where the ball ends up is pot luck. It’s a smash at goal, hoping the ball moves to deceive the goalkeeper. There is no aim, other than getting it on target.

Wilson’s goal vs United moved outwards to the left.

Wilson’s goal vs Ireland, using the same technique, moved inwards to the right.

Same technique, two different movements on the ball. How can you say that isn’t luck or a fluke? He has no control on the movement, evident by the two different goals.

It isn’t luck, and it isn’t a fluke. It’s a technique that by definition generates a random result. That in itself is a strength assuming it’s on target,  that of course is part of the skill. Classic bending free kicks have their strength in that if you hit it precisely where you want to it will go where you want to but the chances of doing that are not guaranteed any more than a perfect knuckle ball. 

Do you dribble past your man throwing him the wrong way with fast feet or do you do a Russell or a Ward and kick it past them and run round the other side and by pass him ? Both are skills and techniques - not luck or fluke. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

It isn’t luck, and it isn’t a fluke. It’s a technique that by definition generates a random result. That in itself is a strength assuming it’s on target,  that of course is part of the skill. Classic bending free kicks have their strength in that if you hit it precisely where you want to it will go where you want to but the chances of doing that are not guaranteed any more than a perfect knuckle ball. 

Do you dribble past your man throwing him the wrong way with fast feet or do you do a Russell or a Ward and kick it past them and run round the other side and by pass him ? Both are skills and techniques - not luck or fluke. 

Of course it’s luck if it generates a random result. That is the very definition of luck.

That’s like saying it’s not lucky to win the lottery because you bought the ticket.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Of course it’s luck if it generates a random result. That is the very definition of luck.

That’s like saying it’s not lucky to win the lottery because you bought the ticket.

Not at all, it’s still a statistical outcome but in this case it is based on, and variable depending on a series of data/physical inputs, and that includes the skill and ability of the player, something not present in purchasing a random numbered lottery ticket 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Not at all, it’s still a statistical outcome but in this case it is based on, and variable depending on a series of data/physical inputs, and that includes the skill and ability of the player, something not present in purchasing a random numbered lottery ticket 

Damn your infernal logic ?

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hold on, so you’re saying if I smash a ball towards the goal, I am basically guaranteed to score as often as Wilson. Just like if me and harry buy a lottery ticket, we’ve both hit the same amount of chance of winning it. 

I think you’re argument is on very shaky ground there bris. You either declare I’m as good as Harry Wilson, or you admit that there is technique to what he does, which improve his chances of scoring over any average *********. If he’s improving his chances through the application of skill, then it can’t be luck. 

23 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Hold on, so you’re saying if I smash a ball towards the goal, I am basically guaranteed to score as often as Wilson. Just like if me and harry buy a lottery ticket, we’ve both hit the same amount of chance of winning it. 

I think you’re argument is on very shaky ground there bris. You either declare I’m as good as Harry Wilson, or you admit that there is technique to what he does, which improve his chances of scoring over any average *********. If he’s improving his chances through the application of skill, then it can’t be luck. 

I think you and others have misunderstood me.

The luck part is not down to technique, it’s where the ball ends up and its trajectory which is luck. As has been mentioned, Wilson uses the same technique in his two freekick goals yet the ball swerves in opposite directions in both.

If the ball flies in the top left corner, or the top right corner, or even row Z, the same technique is applied.

When Mount lines up a freekick, he picks his spot before striking and aims to put it there. When Wilson steps up, he’s not aiming for any corner in particular, he’s just aiming to kick on target with the hope of the ball deceiving the GK... So if the ball ends up top left, dead centre or bottom right is down to pot luck as Wilson has no control over that.

I’d imagine Wilson has much better ball-striking ability than you are I, I’m not denying that. 

But that Old Trafford or Wales goal could quite easily have ended up in row Z and there would have been nothing wrong with Wilson’s technique. If Mount hits it in row Z it’s because he would have been leaning backwards or got right under the ball - poor technique. With Wilson’s, you can do everything right and it still comes off horribly wrong.

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The luck part is not down to technique, it’s where the ball ends up and its trajectory which is luck. As has been mentioned, Wilson uses the same technique in his two freekick goals yet the ball swerves in opposite directions in both.

If the ball flies in the top left corner, or the top right corner, or even row Z, the same technique is applied.

When Mount lines up a freekick, he picks his spot before striking and aims to put it there. When Wilson steps up, he’s not aiming for any corner in particular, he’s just aiming to kick on target with the hope of the ball deceiving the GK... So if the ball ends up top left, dead centre or bottom right is down to pot luck as Wilson has no control over that.

I’d imagine Wilson has much better ball-striking ability than you are I, I’m not denying that. 

But that Old Trafford or Wales goal could quite easily have ended up in row Z and there would have been nothing wrong with Wilson’s technique. If Mount hits it in row Z it’s because he would have been leaning backwards or got right under the ball - poor technique. With Wilson’s, you can do everything right and it still comes off horribly wrong.

giphy.gif

With Wilson’s, you can do everything right and it still comes off horribly wrong

There's no such thing as luck at this level. Harry banged 7 in 13 for hull last season, he's produced one worldie and one excellent free kick for Derby and Wales in the last couple of weeks. If he bangs another free kick in this weekend would you consider that 'luck' too? At what point would you consider that it's not so much luck, rather an ability to strike the ball really well?

Have you asked Harry where he was aiming for? Might he not have been looking at the wall and where the goalie was and planning his shot accordingly?

Could be worth asking professional footballers if they practice free kicks or if they hope the wind takes it into the top corner.

29 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

There's no such thing as luck at this level. Harry banged 7 in 13 for hull last season, he's produced one worldie and one excellent free kick for Derby and Wales in the last couple of weeks. If he bangs another free kick in this weekend would you consider that 'luck' too? At what point would you consider that it's not so much luck, rather an ability to strike the ball really well?

What the hell has anything you’ve written go to do with the direction of the ball on a knuckleball freekick?

Archived