Villa Appoint Dean Smith and John Terry

Dean Smith has left Brentford to take this sinking ship on with John Terry as his assistant. 

Interesting one this, don’t see this working out for them. Too many big time Charlie’s in that dressing room. 

Hes notbused to working with such characters and such a bloated squad either, almost an impossible task IMHO

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hutton 33, el mohamady 31, jedinak 34, bjarnason 30, adomah 30, whelan 34, taylor 29, chester 29

ideal job for growett.

dean smith will have to keep one eye on JT, his own back and any loose cutlery.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

Odd how he’s had Terry thrust upon him. 

Better that than terry thrusting on the players wives.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Hutton 33, el mohamady 31, jedinak 34, bjarnason 30, adomah 30, whelan 34, taylor 29, chester 29

ideal job for growett.

dean smith will have to keep one eye on JT, his own back and any loose cutlery.

You are wrong. Rowett takes a reasonably mid aged group and adds age. So if he took over Villa he would have to look around for older guys to add age to their ranks.

Look on the bright side. Dean Smith likes his teams to play high intensity football which might mean he will off load the above!!!

Where do you think they could end up??????? 

It's all a bit of a crap shoot really - three years ago I would have put my (rather burdensome) mortgage on Warburton going on to do great things. Five years ago I would have said Mourinho was perfect for United. Up to Lampard I would have said that the book of 'great players to great managers' is a very short read - I'm not saying he's earned the tag of great by any means but just that it is going a lot better than I could have imagined.

There are very few managers who are adept at turning around big failing clubs - strangely they've just got rid of one of them and in Pulis and Warnock two of the others are busy. Probably the best they could have found from a management perspective, the Terry bit feels like a strange one - what is the point, to groom him to replace Deano, why would they do that? To build him up to go and manage on his own? I don't get that bit - feels a bit weird and I honestly don't see Terry outlasting Smith there. He'll be off by the end of next season.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Who will be Chelsea’s manager first? Terry or Lampard?

You would hope Di Matteo, Gullit and Hoddle have taught them the logic behind that one. Yes, before you say it, DiM won the Champiosn League but with a largely inherited side just as Dalglish did with Liverpool and Zidane did with Real.

• 4 months later...

Interesting article on Villa's troubles...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/tired-and-tested-what-happened-aston-villas-return-top-flight

I especially liked this bit...

There is no better statistic to damn Villa’s recruitment than the fact that a Championship club currently has players on out loan who cost them almost £35m in transfer fees.

The result is a squad that is simultaneously bloated and short on fit defenders, highly-paid and underperforming. In January 2017, when Villa were a Championship club, it was calculated that they had the 20th-highest wage bill in European football.

Madness. And they're not going to get any parachute payments next season either.

On 10/10/2018 at 22:48, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Dean Smith has left Brentford to take this sinking ship on with John Terry as his assistant. 

Interesting one this, don’t see this working out for them. Too many big time Charlie’s in that dressing room. 

Hes notbused to working with such characters and such a bloated squad either, almost an impossible task IMHO

Bet you are hanging your head in shame...oh ye of little faith. 

Archived