Best start in seven years

Derbados

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Why? We’re changing style and introducing nine new players (plus Bennett, Lowe and Bogle) into the side. Last season’s league finish is irrelevant.

On Saturday only Bogle, Mount and timori were new players, the rest have been together years. Most of them were also used to playing football before 18 months of rowett. I just don’t think we can afford to have a season in mid table, the squad is 100% good enough to make play offs if we don’t Itl be a failure IMO. I’m not saying we should sack the manager if we don’t get play offs but overall the season would be classed as a failure. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

On Saturday only Bogle, Mount and timori were new players, the rest have been together years. Most of them were also used to playing football before 18 months of rowett. I just don’t think we can afford to have a season in mid table, the squad is 100% good enough to make play offs if we don’t Itl be a failure IMO. I’m not saying we should sack the manager if we don’t get play offs but overall the season would be classed as a failure. 

Some sense has been spoken

Well done Frank and the lads .. however that is now history. Who’s next up, game by game hoping to build a run.

The genuine upside is that if we do seriously click, start running games and frightening opponents then we will be running for the top instead of making up ground. 

18 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

All the sides bar Leeds are 16th and lower in the table. I really don’t see the point of getting over excited with all these different “aren’t we doing well” threads. We were 2nd after 30 games last season. 

The point is to inspire and to instill confidence, both amongst ourselves and in the Team. I am all for factual analysis but we are fans not engineers or research scientists. Fandom isn’t always about hard fact and well drawn conclusions. It is about the hope and  encouragement that supporters give.  When we can carry that in to the stands with us on match day it is fuel and life blood for the lads on the pitch. ... that’s the point .

2 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

We beat Boro 3 0 away and villa at pride park who finished  5th and 4th place and we managed a draw with Cardiff away at the start of our good run so that is incorrect.

Who else were in that run? Two teams in a long run of games doesn’t mean that run didn’t coincide with playing the lower table teams 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

The point is to inspire and to instill confidence, both amongst ourselves and in the Team. I am all for factual analysis but we are fans not engineers or research scientists. Fandom isn’t always about hard fact and well drawn conclusions. It is about the hope and  encouragement that supporters give.  When we can carry that in to the stands with us on match day it is fuel and life blood for the lads on the pitch. ... that’s the point .

We’ve been here many times on better runs. That’s my point. 

2 hours ago, eddie said:

I'm just enjoying the ride. No expectation, no targets from me. The football on Saturday was sometimes shaky, sometimes good, sometimes excellent and occasionally thrilling - a far, far cry from the Rowettball that bored me to tears. I'm optimistic that we will try to play the right way, and hopeful that the results will justify that optimism.

I would hope that Frank Lampard is still here at Derby in a couple of years - that would be an indication of real progress.

Yep. Thats where i am too.

i think we have to be satisfied with where we are. Three points more than we got last season in those 5 games. Millwall has been the only real disappointment and someone  made a good comparison with sheff utd away last season.

i'm looking forward to games now whereas with growett the forthcoming season felt like it was going to be a chore. I think we have reasons to be optimistic. Bogle, Evans, wilson and Malone - all to come back. Waghorn and Marriott in reserve. The average age of the team has come down by about 4 years.

Keep going Frank.

43 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

We’ve been here many times on better runs. That’s my point. 

Fair enough but I just feel it’s right to show optimism when it’s due. A new manager, a bunch of new players, a new style of play and a sense that there is a longer term plan than in recent times. This run is something to cheer about. It is only a pointer, not a guarantee but if you go one up in the first half .. what do you think ?

“we’ve thrown 1 nil leads away lots of times” or do you say .... “whey hey .. 1 up already” ? 

Where football is concerned .. my glass is normally never less than half full* .. other wise there’s no point at all 

* defeats to Leeds and Forest mean that I don’t look too hard at the glass or consider using a mug for a week or two 

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If our start illustartes anything it is this... Draws in the Championship are bad results. They’re overrated and too many draws will cost you down the road.

By down the road, do you mean the A52? ?

6 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Top 6 finish is the minimum IMO. This isn’t a team that’s been struggling for years, we’ve been around the top end of the table most seasons recently. Only lost 1 real first teamer from a team that finished 6th last season and added more quality in other areas. Anything but play offs will be considered a failure. 

You say it's the minimum, but we have a new coach who needs to find his feet.  Your Pearson's and your Mac v2 were schooled coaches who struggled and got the boot - we need to invest in Lampard here and that means his first season needs to involve patience and acceptance of a top 12 finish.  Anything better and he's taken to coaching better than many his critics would have thought.

I'd say the minimum we should look for is a style/identity, which he is already saying he's working on and that it'll take some time.

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

Who else were in that run? Two teams in a long run of games doesn’t mean that run didn’t coincide with playing the lower table teams 

we drew 1 1 away to Fulham who finished 3rd and beat millwall  comfortably at home who finished 8th so basically everyone good apart from wolves and Preston.

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If our start illustartes anything it is this... Draws in the Championship are bad results. They’re overrated and too many draws will cost you down the road.

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

By down the road, do you mean the A52? ?

Bris is exactly right. Down the road they didn't draw a game in their first 20/30 odd matches so managed to keep the gap looking respectable for a whole lot longer than normal. 

I rejoice at every other drawn game in the Championship, and believe in going all out to win games. Despite moderate form this is apparently our second highest points tally at this stage since 3pts for a win was introduced! 

I Think it’s more important how  we play rather than the results atm. If we continue to improve and play with pace and skill the results will come anyway. 

There were glimpses v Preston of some lovely passing and movement that Frank needs to build on. 

26 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

We are only 4 points off top. we should be going for top spot

I'm sure we are. But there's the small matter of Leeds, Villa, west brom, pulis, etc.

9 hours ago, davenportram said:

its Not the start that counts though. This is our best start since 2011-12 season, yet since then we have always finished higher than we did that season.

its a long season and starts can give momentum but as I mentioned in another thread winning the first 5 or 3 from 5 games can mean that we got lucky with how the fixtures fell and played the mid table - bottom of the table, teams early on. The first five fixtures mean nothing until the table shakes up around late October and you can look back and say -

“wow we took a lot of points from the top 4 it really was a good start” (on for promotion or strong play offs)

or

“ we won a lot at the start but all those teams are in the bottom half of the table” (mid table possible play off spot) 

or

”it was a decent start - we took points of teams in the top 10 ” (strong play off contenders)

Its longevity of winning form that counts - keep the good start going into late October and you’ve probably played most of the top 10 teams in the division and taken pints.

........taken pints we have! @davenportram get em in!

154czk5.jpg

Archived