Best start in seven years

Derbados

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is encouraging but we have got to see how we stand up to the stronger teams in the league.

We have currently beaten teams that are 18th,21st,23rd and 24th in the league (granted its early days and those teams could well be in a false position). The positive in winning these games is that they are still easily lost in the Championship and you’ve got to put the points on the board. I think everyone can see the team progressing and hopefully we will be taking points from teams at the other end of the table as well. 

We're in 4th place, albeit with only half a dozen games gone. I reckon, on average, we've played at no more than 70% of what this squad is capable of and Lampard probably is still some way off knowing what his best starting eleven is. If we can up our game closer to our potential then this could be a very entertaining season.

A bit of realism is needed. Yes, we have had a decent start, points wise, but it has been against teams who have struggled so far. In fact. Millwall"s only victory was against us. 

Many are saying that we haven't clicked yet and when we do watch us go. Shouldn't it be IF we do? There's no guarantee that we can preform well together, this team hasn't performed well together in the past, so there's no reason why we won't just plod on and then struggle against the top teams. 

God knows, I want us take off performance wise, but I've seen little evidence of it so far. 

Let's wait until we outplay the likes of Leeds (failed), boro, Brentford, WBA, Villa, Swansea, etc before getting too carried away. 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

A bit of realism is needed. Yes, we have had a decent start, points wise, but it has been against teams who have struggled so far. In fact. Millwall"s only victory was against us. 

Many are saying that we haven't clicked yet and when we do watch us go. Shouldn't it be IF we do? There's no guarantee that we can preform well together, this team hasn't performed well together in the past, so there's no reason why we won't just plod on and then struggle against the top teams. 

God knows, I want us take off performance wise, but I've seen little evidence of it so far. 

Let's wait until we outplay the likes of Leeds (failed), boro, Brentford, WBA, Villa, Swansea, etc before getting too carried away. 

Lampard out

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

There are lots of reasons to be excited about our prospects and we have some good new players but we really need a fit Curtis Davies back or the top teams will do a Leeds on us.

I still think Tomori is a great talent and could be our right back.

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

This isn’t the same team as previous seasons, yesterday we had 5 new signings in the starting lineup, 1 on the bench and 2 youngsters that are breaking into the team.

Plus we have another 3 new signings, a youngster that wasn’t involved and a new management team.

Reminds me of the Only Fools & Horses episode with Trigger 

“And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.”

38BA3D60-8AE8-424D-9DA8-5069E9989D7E.jpeg

Yes encouraging but lets keep our feet on the ground and not get ahead of ourselves. We are far from the finished article, the defence and midfield is still a worry. We are improving and I love the positivity thats around and also happy with where we are.

I still think we will be there and there about but we will have a number of bumps on this trip.

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

I agree with the first part of your post. We have beaten a team today, who even Stoke beat and our other wins have come against weaker teams in the championship. However I do disagree with your last point. We have put in 6/10 performances so far, but with Hudds back and Davis we will have the balance our midfield is lacking and leadership in defence, again something we are lacking. Those problems addressed, we will be looking at 8/10 and who knows, maybe better. We will certainly need that level against the better teams 

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

Spot on @ram59 I am hoping that Davies return shores up the defence, the right back position worries me, the defensive midfield area worries me. We seem so open at the back. People will start sitting on Mason Mount to stop his creativity.

lots of positives, but lots to work on 

2 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Spot on @ram59 I am hoping that Davies return shores up the defence, the right back position worries me, the defensive midfield area worries me. We seem so open at the back. People will start sitting on Mason Mount to stop his creativity.

lots of positives, but lots to work on 

Don’t worry, I sure Frank & Jody are aware of all of the above & much much more that us mere mortals can’t see!!! Keep the faith, they’re on it ?

Archived