Bradley Johnson

MackworthRamIsGod

33 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Nice and positive then

That’s my point, why have a thread after each defeat, selecting one player who seems to be the scapegoat. The whole freaking team lost today! Not just Johnson who wasn’t playing in a position he’s at all made a career playing in, why randomly keep selecting players.

After all we already had a go with Keogh, should we lose to Ipswich, which I don’t believe we will,( I think we will get a nervy win), but just say we don’t and Johnson don’t play, shall we start a thread on Bryson or Lawrence. Wouldn’t mind discussing players attributes or lack of, but these negative, knee jerk threads to any defeat get right on my gonads.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If I was new football and had no idea who Bradley Johnson was, what qualities would you be able to tell me he has?

What does he bring to our team, what are his strengths?

As a fan of derby who knows Bradley Johnson I struggle to answer those questions.

One of Derby's best players in second half today.  Made great challenges and interceptions, accurate passing and kept up pressure on Millwall in second half.  Not sure what sparked this thread.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I think there’s a few players you can apply this too, Johnson, Bryson, Wisdom. I’m not sure what any of them provide to the team?

On 21/07/2018 at 17:05, McLovin said:

Good performance and result but did we learn anything we didn’t know? We shouldn’t get carried away when we win today or lose like we did against Mansfield. Bryson’s key to this system and I wouldn’t really be comfortable if he was injured for any period of time. 

Ahem....

Just now, Rampant said:

Thread possibly sparked by the fact that we paid a fortune for him and he's technically appalling as a footballer. 

I feel we need to play two DM's fwiw.

Agree with two DMs (or 3 CBs).

BJ starred in a Norwich side that got promoted. Maybe its about how managers use him rather than his intrinsic abilities.

I find it odd to find a thread started about him on a day he played well though

4 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Agree with two DMs (or 3 CBs).

BJ starred in a Norwich side that got promoted. Maybe its about how managers use him rather than his intrinsic abilities.

I find it odd to find a thread started about him on a day he played well though

He was Norwich City’s player of the year in their promotion season a mere 3 years ago so someone knew how to get the best out of him. Think it’s unfair to single him out; especially as no-one had a stellar game today.

I've not been around today so no idea about today's game. But Bradley Johnson to my mind is a pretty good attacking midfielder and a pretty crap defensive midfielder. Don't write him off - he can score goals and he's aggressive. 

But I'm of the very unpopular opinion that Craig Bryson is a weak link and I'm not massively over the moon about seeing him back as a first team regular.

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If I was new football and had no idea who Bradley Johnson was, what qualities would you be able to tell me he has?

What does he bring to our team, what are his strengths?

As a fan of derby who knows Bradley Johnson I struggle to answer those questions.

As a footballer, he'd make a good hod carrier. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Ahem....

Opinions change. I was under the impression that he changed after playing with Cardiff but he’s the same as he was before with his inconsistent ways. Nice way of selecting posts though. Many on here know I’ve never been Bryson’s biggest fan

Some good valid points in this.

Yes, he has the best tatoos.

Yes, he us continuously played out of position (that seems to be a derby thing unfortunately, maybe one for the next fans forum).

At Norwich he was THE midfielder that they looked for to score goals and he got 16 i think it was in a season.

Maybe he could offer something if played in the correct position, some with Butterfield.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Some good valid points in this.

Yes, he has the best tatoos.

Yes, he us continuously played out of position (that seems to be a derby thing unfortunately, maybe one for the next fans forum).

At Norwich he was THE midfielder that they looked for to score goals and he got 16 i think it was in a season.

Maybe he could offer something if played in the correct position, some with Butterfield.

But that’s the main issue here, what is his best position? He isn’t creative enough to play as an AM, not good enough defensively to play at DM and not technically, quick or skillfull to play on the wing

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

The fact he had a good game doesn't matter?

In the grand scheme of things, no. He's consistently under-performed for 3 years since joining Derby. Perhaps being one of the least bad in a really awful performance will herald a new dawn for him, but I wouldn't hold your breath. He's not a terrible player. If he'd been signed for something resembling his actual value he'd be one of the more poplar players on the team. I'll admit it's unfair for me to allow his price tag to cloud my judgement, but at the time he was our record signing. He represents a hugely significant outlay in terms of our financial resources, can you honestly say he's ever come close to being a hugely significant player for us?

Archived