Holiday Plans 2019

Angry Ram

Birthday trip away booked for next year. Off to a country park in Shropshire, a lodge with a hot tub outside. Looks wonderful inside. Having tried various holidays and trips away, I find staying in this country can be the most relaxing. A few days away, couple of hours drive for me and the girlfriend, getting away from the stresses of work life. Local pubs nearby, beautiful countryside. Peace and quiet. Perfect!

image.thumb.png.494f20da58f704f9d6119459cfcc670f.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2019 at 18:37, reverendo de duivel said:

Having a mini break in London tomorrow, Spurs Vs Inter Milan then Batty Langley's for the overnight stay.

Love London, but 48hrs is about my limit so looking forward to it.

Apologies for replying to myself, but what a great break we had!

Spitalfields definitely my new favourite part of London.

Dining, drinking, and staying all catered for, lovely relaxed atmosphere, loads to do and see, fantastic breakfast at the Breakfast Club to boot, can't wait to return and explore further. 

25 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Never booking a holiday in August again. I kick myself for doing it every ducking year. 

You're not in Malia yet, I take it?

My lads there ATM, and hates it. Like being in a quiet village not a holiday resort, according to him and his mates!

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You're not in Malia yet, I take it?

My lads there ATM, and hates it. Like being in a quiet village not a holiday resort, according to him and his mates!

In Marseille at the minute, Malia is 14th. Let’s hope he’s just in the wrong area of Malia!

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

In Marseille at the minute, Malia is 14th. Let’s hope he’s just in the wrong area of Malia!

I don't think it's so big you can be in the wrong part, maybe he's in the wrong company though!

Last year Napa was great, the year before Magalluf, also tops, Malia just isn't as good.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:47, reverendo de duivel said:

Apologies for replying to myself, but what a great break we had!

Spitalfields definitely my new favourite part of London.

Dining, drinking, and staying all catered for, lovely relaxed atmosphere, loads to do and see, fantastic breakfast at the Breakfast Club to boot, can't wait to return and explore further. 

How did you find the new Spurs stadium? Is it as impressive in reality as it appears from the pictures and tv coverage?

17 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

How did you find the new Spurs stadium? Is it as impressive in reality as it appears from the pictures and tv coverage?

From the outside yes, it looks amazing.

Massive queues for the clubshop, so didn't venture in there.

Airport style scanners and bag searches to enter the campus, including the shop,  so can't really rock up 5 minutes before kick off, but they weren't really searching the bags, just putting a sticker on to say they had.

Once in the campus, they had a fanzone with a variety of food and drink available which was decently priced by football standards, plenty of room to perch and enjoy the area.

To be honest, the ground itself was a little disappointing once inside, certainly when compared to the promo vids I'd seen. 

Concourses wider than PP, but not the utopia of seating they'd shown in the pre opening videos. Nice variety of pre match grub, and wasn't too pricey considering for what you get.

Beer was starting at £4 a pint, went up a little for the Beavertown stuff but not bad at all considering what you'd be charged in a normal pub for the same pint, a choice of 4 or 5 draft brews were available.

Didn't get to see the bottom filling pints though, which was my main reason for going, probably a different bar.

Once pitch side, the seats are very long in the seat section, so much so they catch the back of your legs when you stand to let people past, very shallow gradient compared to PP, I'd say about double the leg room to the seat in front.

It may have been because it was a pre season game, but once in the bowl there was nothing to suggest you were at the home of Tottenham Hotspur.

They had the digital screens running in front of every tier, which displayed the club logo etc every so often, but no banners, flags, 'To dare is to do' etc was displayed, could have been anywhere watching anything tbh.

It may be better once up and running, but a crowd of 58000 were there, and all the noise came from the 100 odd plus Inter fans in a corner.

Also, the room allowed to take corners is ridiculous, literally one step and hit before you end up down a very slippery slope.

On 22/06/2019 at 20:33, LE_Ram said:

Done a fair bit of solo travel in the last year - Indonesia, Singapore, Lithuania, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Hungary, and going to Kazakhstan in a few weeks.

If you want to watch footy, can't beat Eastern Europe for atmosphere - Hungary was incredible, I went to watch Ferencvarosi play Honved, plus it's quite cheap there.

Just make sure you have your hotel booked and it has WiFi, and plan how you're getting from the airport to the hotel. Once you're at the hotel you can WiFi up and sort anything out, but the most important thing is having that plan of how to get from airport to hotel.

Best city I've been to is Kiev - cheap flights on Ryanair, the food is good, the beer is good, there's LOTS of history, especially if you're interested in Soviet history and it's safe for a solo traveller. Plus Chernobyl is round the corner and that's definitely worth a trip.

Good Luck!

Hi LE_Ram - sounds a bit ominous - is it a bit tricky getting cabs etc there?

Was the Ferencvaros game at their stadium? - seems it;s the biggest stadium of the Hungarian clubs. I may be over there next year when both Honved and Ujpest have home games and was wondering if either were worth a visit (subject to TV etc)

23 hours ago, RAMalicious said:

Hi LE_Ram - sounds a bit ominous - is it a bit tricky getting cabs etc there?

Was the Ferencvaros game at their stadium? - seems it;s the biggest stadium of the Hungarian clubs. I may be over there next year when both Honved and Ujpest have home games and was wondering if either were worth a visit (subject to TV etc)

It wasn't hard getting taxis - I used a hotel transfer service which was like a shared minibus, I think it was around €15 each way, no need to book in advance just come out of customs and turn right and there's a big desk where you sort it. It wasn't meant to be ominous though - just important to know what your plans are...

Yeah the Ferencvaros game was at their stadium. It is worth a visit, it's not too expensive and although the standard of football is maybe lower championship/league one, it was an entertaining match and worth it for the atmosphere alone. You do have to register first for a sort of home membership - I think they call it a "supporter card" - before you can buy tickets, you have to do it at the ground and it costs 1500 HUF on matchdays or 1000 on non matchdays (roughly £4); if you are going to do it just before the match give yourself plenty of time because the queue takes a long time and they need all your personal details, including some form of ID (passport was fine for me).

That's the situation at the Groupama Arena (which was a lovely stadium), I'm not sure if the procedure is the same or different for other stadiums.

Good Luck!

12 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Not going away as too much diy to get done + new carpets. Will be having days out here and there though when not raining. Worked out well as the last thing I want to do if it's hot and sunny is diy!

We've been promising (and failing!) to take that approach for at least the last 5 years... Subsequently, we now live in an absolute poo-hole, but by god, we are happy, relaxed, and reasonably well tanned to boot!  :-)

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

We've been promising (and failing!) to take that approach for at least the last 5 years... Subsequently, we now live in an absolute poo-hole, but by god, we are happy, relaxed, and reasonably well tanned to boot!  ?

Rest of August is hit/miss maybe do like I have done and stagger decorating. It's a weird week here. Rained Tues diy, Ok today so out, rain tomorrow so diy.

Been down to Newquay for the 19th year now (since I was born), go down for two weeks. travel down overnight. 

Went to maccies to get a coffee and as I looked down to put my coffee in the cupholder I went smack into the middle of the roundabout where McArthurglen is. 

First week of weather was beautiful, burnt to a crisp however, but loved it nonetheless..

Second week was pants, literally horrible, stayed in a tent and the wind was throwing my tent about and woke up in a mud bath every morning near enough..

Can't really remember much of the evenings, fair few pubs in Newquay, just what the doctor ordered.

Got lost on the way home, but overall a good holiday!

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

Rest of August is hit/miss maybe do like I have done and stagger decorating. It's a weird week here. Rained Tues diy, Ok today so out, rain tomorrow so diy.

Sod that!  I'll spend the rest of August in the office by day, on here by evening, load the tent in the car on BH Monday, add the roof box and the bikes, and head for Eurotunnel as soon as BH is out of the way!  Should be on La Cote Savage before the month is out, and for the next couple of weeks before ambling back.

DIY next year... I promise!  ;-)

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Sod that!  I'll spend the rest of August in the office by day, on here by evening, load the tent in the car on BH Monday, add the roof box and the bikes, and head for Eurotunnel as soon as BH is out of the way!  Should be on La Cote Savage before the month is out, and for the next couple of weeks before ambling back.

DIY next year... I promise!  ?

I used to do a lot of DIY, but nowadays I'm a big fan of FSB.

Find someone better.

Far easier to do extra work at something I'm good at to earn the money to pay someone to do what they're good at, and better for the economy too.

Archived