U23s v Aston Villa Live on RamsTV 12pm

Day

Blackman is woeful at the moment. Not sure where he's supposed to be playing but he's neither up front nor wide. Play is passing him by and he's making no effort to get involved. Every single young attacker has shown twice as much as him. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

George moves so so slowly nowadays. He still has a pass on him, but he's so much less mobile than he was. And he wasn't mobile before. 

Blackman's spent this game looking like a trialist - Villa's teenage defenders just take the ball off him whenever they feel like it. 

Slower than Huddlestone?

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Villa have been very kicky for a preseason friendly. Hanson puts a FK narrowly wide.

I think they've been very kicky since the current bloke took over.

A cynic might suggest that they're being kicky in this game as they're playing against a few first teamers - but I think its just the way the coach is. He's making the most of how lenient U23 referees are. 

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Slower than Huddlestone?

Yes. Definitely. 

Probably even in terms of running a distance, he looks that slow, but I'm talking about the smaller movements to protect the ball etc. when he realises he's under pressure. His brain still works, you can see the cogs whirring, but the movement of his feet is so lethargic. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I think they've been very kicky since the current bloke took over.

A cynic might suggest that they're being kicky in this game as they're playing against a few first teamers - but I think its just the way the coach is. He's making the most of how lenient U23 referees are. 

Sounds like a angry Scot, so there's no surprises there.

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Hanson is probably not entirely off the table either.

The absence of Cameron Jerome is curious. Did we get wind of an injury? 

Wasn't it Clement who liked Hanson, half expect him to go to Reading. 

Jerome is presumably closer to the first team and more likely to be involved with their games. I'd say at the moment Nugent is first choice with Jerome and now Bennett back up. As Nugent is never likely to finish a game one of them will get game time.

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

Could it be taken that the first team players still on the pitch are those in the firing line? Especially with a friendly on Wednesday.

Probably - with the exception of Martin.

Who *could* be, for sure. But has legitimately been injured, and needs to pack in as many minutes as he can. Might get a short run at the end of Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Probably - with the exception of Martin.

Who *could* be, for sure. But has legitimately been injured, and needs to pack in as many minutes as he can. Might get a short run at the end of Wednesday.

I think Martin will start the season with us... mainly due to his injury.  He MAY go out on loan again before the loan window closes.

2 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Happily get rid of a whole XI right now;

Roos/Mitchell

Anya Guy Pearce Olsson

Johnson Butterfield

Blackman Nugent Martin Vydra(decent fee)

Let me know who is going to buy Olsson because I have a bike in the shed that’s broken and they may be interested 

3 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Happily get rid of a whole XI right now;

Roos/Mitchell

Anya Guy Pearce Olsson

Johnson Butterfield

Blackman Nugent Martin Vydra(decent fee)

You'd happily go into the season with only 2 natural CBs?

I watched mainly to see how GT would perform. Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s anywhere near our first team. Not mobile, caught in possession, no meaningful passes forward, no breakup of opposition play. His successful passes were generally easy passes backward. Didn’t seem to be able to find space. 

Wish it wasn’t so, but his days are looking numbered. I don’t feel it’s just a case of match fitness. 

Just now, Kamikaze said:

No id sign a young CB young LB and at least one striker, just prefer Wisdom Hanson or Fozzy than Pearce

Pearce is as good a backup CB as you will find in this league. You won't improve on him unless you're bringing in a first teamer and making Keogh or Davies the backup.

An argument for a youthful backup can be made - but if I went down that route I'd want to get rid of Pearce after making the signing (or 2, 3 CBs is a little light too). I wouldn't be comfortable getting rid of him now.

Archived