Surely we ought to sell Vydra?

RamsFan10

10 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I think there's a place for Matej even in the new regimes 4-3-3 . When Mac tried him out wide , it was out wide as daft as that sounds . In the new 4-3-3 the front 3 pretty much played as 3 central players and the width seem to come from the full backs. 

Going all football manager esque now but Matej could even play in a false 9 role dropping off into that number 10 role allowing space for the 2 wide players to drive into . Because really none of our wide players are wingers are they ? 

Lastly it seems daft how many people actually seem to want to see Matej leave. Don't get me wrong if the deals right all round I won't hold it against anyone but I'm in no rush for him to leave and would be happy either way.

I was thinking the same thing with the false 9 idea, isn’t it how Liverpool play with no real striker and just firmino, dont think we need that big hold up player for the formation to work anymore. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I agree in principle and I certainly agree thatnits looking like FL could make more use of his value in cash than the player himself, it doesn’t look like anyone wants to pay his true value (yet). A couple of teams maybe sniffing round incase we let him go cheap but at that point we might not be able to improve more than we’ve lost in MV (FL has made it clear he wants multiple systems, if MV doesn’t fit one he’ll fit another). Just look at Will Hughes, the summer we wanted to cash in on him no team wanted to pay his value 

35 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Vidders is a great player when it’s going right for him.

His head drops quicker than Forest after a first game win if it’s not.

Scouts will of seen this as well as his goals.

As an alternative view to this though, could it be that Vydra was getting frustrated because, due to our style of play, he was not getting on the ball much?

Vydra couldn't play as the 9 in Pearson's defensive 9-0-1 hoofball formation.

Vydra was never tried as a 9 under Mac 2.0, only out wide on occasion as Nugent was Mac's 9.

Vydra could play as the 9 in what appears to be the more fluid, pacy attacking 4-3-3 of Frankieball.

Like others, I'm happy either way - either consider Vydra as a 9 option, along with Martin and Jerome/Nugent or sell Vydra and bring in Marriott for less.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Vydra was never tried as a 9 under Mac 2.0, only out wide on occasion as Nugent was Mac's 9.

He played the first few games under Mac as a striker until he started with Bent. 

Mac's first line up against Leeds

Screenshot_20180717-083021.jpg

4 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Would he have won the Golden Boot if you only count goals from open play?

If not, would that still make him the best striker in the league with a price tag to match?

His goals per minute is still on a par.

vydra 1 goal every 180 minutes - 15 non-penalty goals in 2808 minutes

clarke 1 goal every 175 minutes - 19 non-penalty goals in 3332 minutes

9 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Would he have won the Golden Boot if you only count goals from open play?

If not, would that still make him the best striker in the league with a price tag to match?

No, and that’s my worry. It’s good to have a striker with a cool head for penalties, plus he wins a fair few himself, but he scored 14 goals from open play last season.

I’ve said all summer that we should sell Vydra whilst his stock is high, but that’s not to take away the fact that he’s our best striker. I’d not sell for any less than we paid, perhaps my demands wouldn’t be the same as some - £15m upwards, but I’d still want a decent profit. 

If he’s here for the Reading game, it means we won’t have signed Marriott and I think he’s 90% likely to start upfront in a different formation. It would be good to get him fit, if he is indeed injured, and get him playing in some friendlies in that system. 

54 minutes ago, DcfcJack said:

I was thinking the same thing with the false 9 idea, isn’t it how Liverpool play with no real striker and just firmino, dont think we need that big hold up player for the formation to work anymore. 

He's a complete different player to Firminho!!!

Firminho links play up incredibly well, works his nut off, can hold the ball up and make runs in behind, he can do it all.

Vydra isn't a good player in possession of the ball and doesn't work hard to get the ball back. He comes to life in and around the box, a very very good finisher but his link up play isn't good enough to play the number 9 role on his own. Rowett liked to hit the ball in the channels via a Huddletstone pass and then look for Vydra arriving in the box to score.

Lampard is a possession based manager, which I personally don't think will suit Matej and I think Lampard knows that, if the right offer comes in, we all know he will be sold. If Lampard believes that the last years top scorer fits in to his plans, he would to everything he could to keep the him.

Just now, JoeDerby said:

He's a complete different player to Firminho!!!

Firminho links play up incredibly well, works his nut off, can hold the ball up and make runs in behind, he can do it all.

Vydra isn't a good player in possession of the ball and doesn't work hard to get the ball back. He comes to life in and around the box, a very very good finisher but his link up play isn't good enough to play the number 9 role on his own. Rowett liked to hit the ball in the channels via a Huddletstone pass and then look for Vydra arriving in the box to score.

Lampard is a possession based manager, which I personally don't think will suit Matej and I think Lampard knows that, if the right offer comes in, we all know he will be sold. If Lampard believes that the last years top scorer fits in to his plans, he would to everything he could to keep the him.

Yeah suppose you’re right, just think we need to play him if we can’t get rid and can’t see him playing anywhere else in a 433, would rather sell but gonna struggle if he doesn’t want to leave and demands stupid wages.

I think that of course he is a valuable asses to the side, I mean top scorer in the division last season is no joke.

However, if we can't find a place for him to play in Frank's system whatever that may be, there's no point trying to shoe horn him into a system that doesn't suit him as we have done before.

This falls nicely in the fact that if he doesn't suit the style / system Frank wants he also is our most sellable asset.

8 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Nah I reckon Lamps will go for a Barcelonaesque 4-6-0 Which means Vydra, Mount, Wilson, Thorne, everyone can play.

Stop it .. you’re making me have dreams of glory and entertainment rather then angst, frustration, nail biting and grim fatalism. 

3 hours ago, DcfcJack said:

That’s exactly what Firmino does though. He’s a mobile Chrissy Martin.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

That’s exactly what Firmino does though. He’s a mobile Chrissy Martin.

Is he? Always thought he played the number 9 role and was more mobile and moved around a lot more to get people into the game that way, didn’t realise he was a full on hold up player, either way vydra isn’t that I guess, can’t see him playing in any position in a 433.

3 hours ago, DcfcJack said:

Is he? Always thought he played the number 9 role and was more mobile and moved around a lot more to get people into the game that way, didn’t realise he was a full on hold up player, either way vydra isn’t that I guess, can’t see him playing in any position in a 433.

Firmino does a bit of both but primarily is role is drop short, offer that option to help transition into the final third and looking to link play together.

Archived